[Priest] Suggestions on how to fix priests

85 Blood Elf Priest
Disclaimer: These are opinions I have come up after tinkering around with priests on Beta/live.

These are the major things that I believe would put priests up there with all the other healing classes.

Spell Protection - Priest healing spells aren't very strong. We aren't known for a monstrous heals, most of our healing comes from shields. Divine Aegis/Power Word: Shield/Pain Suppression are one of the biggest healing spells priests have. I consider them healing spells instead of absorb spells because it allows for healing because the target isn't taking any damage during that period. Priest healing all revolved around our ability to shield allies from taking damage while healing them, but after the dispel changes almost any class can take off these absorbs with ease.

My fix: Bring dispel protection back, 3 points, 20/40/60% chance for your spells to not be dispelled.

Mana Issues - Another major problem priests experience is the huge amounts of mana required for our spells and while we have spells such as Shadowfiend/Hymn of Hope, outside of these spells we are basically destined to experience problems running out of mana. Archangel was a step towards the right direction, but I'll never be able to successfully cast 5 smites, and even with 5 smites at 2.5 second cast each the benefit is still too small.

My fix: Make smite a 1.3 second cast equivalent to paladins exorcism, reduce smites mana cost by 50%. Allow archangel to refund 15% mana on a 20-30 second cooldown.

Power Word: Barrier - This spell was decent before the 30% reduced damage change, but after that it's mainly good for PvE rendering it basically useless for PvP. The area is too small and in an arena situation the fight shifts drastically almost each second across the map.

My fix: Revert the Power Word: barrier change to its previous self. Allow it to put a shield on everyone in the party/raid absorbing a certain amount of damage. In a tough situation, plenty of raid members/arena partners will be taking damage at the same time, using this will allow the priest to catch up on healing and temporarily stopping the income of damage.

These suggestions were formulated based on solely my opinion, feel free to add/remove from it.

All I've been seeing lately are whine threads with no one really addressing the issues that need to be solved, therefore this was the proposal I came up with.
Edited by Improve on 12/2/2010 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Priest healing spells aren't very strong. We aren't known for a monstrous heals, most of our healing comes from shields.

You must be new to disc priests or unaware of their current state.

WoW will never be balanced around PvP. I'm sorry to say. PW:B provides a nice defensive cooldown. It is time some disc priest utility in PvP was removed anyway. It was getting out of hand.

If anything cata has shown that disc priests are a little too powerful. If anything they will be nerfed back to reality rather than further buffed.

Relax and wait to see what Cata brings, you'll be pleasantly surprised
Edited by Xjennyxxi on 12/2/2010 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Priest healing spells aren't very strong. We aren't known for a monstrous heals, most of our healing comes from shields.

You must be new to disc priests or unaware of their current state.

WoW will never be balanced around PvP. I'm sorry to say. PW:B provides a nice defensive cooldown. It is time some disc priest utility in PvP was removed anyway. It was getting out of hand.

If anything cata has shown that disc priests are a little too powerful. If anything they will be nerfed back to reality rather than further buffed.

Relax and wait to see what Cata brings, you'll be pleasantly surprised

You are the most clueless person I have ever encountered in 3 years of playing this game.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
You are the most clueless person I have ever encountered in 3 years of playing this game.

I'm afraid the truth hurts. I'm also afraid that the disc priest's days of being the only logical choice in arena healers are through. This is not a bad thing. It is selfish for you to wish your class to be the most powerful. Disc priests have the highest single target throughput currently and this combined with PW:S makes them unstoppable healing and damage mitigation machines. Throw in some awesome defensive cooldowns, fears and a bunch of other fun spells and you have the ultimate class.

This won't continue, Blizzard will notice, trust me they do, and when they do might I suggest one word. Humility
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

I'm afraid the truth hurts. I'm also afraid that the disc priest's days of being the only logical choice in arena healers are through. This is not a bad thing. It is selfish for you to wish your class to be the most powerful. Disc priests have the highest single target throughput currently and this combined with PW:S makes them unstoppable healing and damage mitigation machines. Throw in some awesome defensive cooldowns, fears and a bunch of other fun spells and you have the ultimate class.

This won't continue, Blizzard will notice, trust me they do, and when they do might I suggest one word. Humility

You are clueless. Its the inability to move and survive while having all our strengths dispellable, there for causing us to stop and spam FH with no protection against interrupts and cc's. Please don't post unless you understand the severity of how bad heal spec priest pvp is looking come cata.
Edited by Reserved on 12/2/2010 7:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Everybody is such an expert and every class is overpowered//underpowered.

How about this, QQ less, play more?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Everybody is such an expert and every class is overpowered//underpowered.

How about this, QQ less, play more?

i think i stated twice already that this isnt a QQ thread, im actually giving suggestions and ways to improve it.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Priest

I don't like dispel resistance as a mechanic. You either can be shut down easily or you have to spend talents for something you need. If we are balanced around shields not being dispeled, then make them so they can't be dispeled. If we aren't, then don't. Resistance had a huge random quanitity to PvP and good PvP games do what they can to eliminate random chance. Its very easy to see a high level Arena fight coming down to if a dispel lands or not rather then the skill of the players. Case in point for Starcraft II, Blizzard removed miss chance on high ground attacking low ground simply because they wanted no random elements in the game.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight

You are clueless. Its the inability to move and survive while not having all our strengths dispellable, there for causing us to stop and spam FH with no protection against interrupts and cc's. Please don't post unless you understand the severity of how bad heal spec priest pvp is looking come cata.

Trust me, there is a whole team of testers and developers focused on PvP (they shouldn't be as this game is designeda around PvE). They have determined that as of now the classes are fine in PvP. Holy pallys were giving them troubles so they nerfed them down substantially last week, proving that they are actively working on PvP balance. They have not changed disc which suggests that feel no need to. I agree, disc priests were getting out of hand in PvP. The only problem is, when a class such as yourself has spent so long with so much overpowered utility it can feel unfair when it is taken away from you.

Also, to O.P. Yes this is a 'qq thread'. You are seeing your class not as powerful as they once were, you don't like this, you are complaining and suggesting it be fixed. This is the very definition of a 'qq thread', it does not have to be in all caps.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I agree, disc priests were getting out of hand in PvP.

Keep agreeing with yourself troll.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
I agree, disc priests were getting out of hand in PvP.

Keep agreeing with yourself troll.

May I ask why disc priests seem to be so insecure of late? You have been very powerful for the last few years, you are undergoing changes but so is every healer. Disc priests are the last healers who should be complaining about PvP at this point in time
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
May I ask why disc priests seem to be so insecure of late? You have been very powerful for the last few years, you are undergoing changes but so is every healer. Disc priests are the last healers who should be complaining about PvP at this point in time

You are the last person that should be complaining about people complaining about pvp
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Why have the battle.net forums dropped in IQ about 40 points compared to the previous ones, which weren't too brilliant to begin with?

I came here from your arenajunkies thread. Improve, you've got some good ideas, but these forums are a wasteland; read some of the nonsense above. Here's hoping blues are still reading and get something out of it.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
Why have the battle.net forums dropped in IQ about 40 points compared to the previous ones, which weren't too brilliant to begin with?

I came here from your arenajunkies thread. Improve, you've got some good ideas, but these forums are a wasteland; read some of the nonsense above. Here's hoping blues are still reading and get something out of it.

Sock puppeting is an offense on this forum OP. Devs aren't going to be changing anything in the next 4 days, then they'll be waiting till they get some numbers from 85s on live. So how about all you healers esp. the disc priests who seem to be going mad around here RELAX and see how you feel at 85.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
aight for all the people who said "LOL DPRIESTS ARE FINE L2P BADDIE" that's not at all how it is, priests, in comparison to EVERY OTHER HEALER, has poor mana regen, but that has always been the case (fiend easily cc'd/hymn is mediocre at best - but we don't whine because it can be worked around). This fact alone would not make any1 believe that priests are in a very poor state for cataclysm except for a few more important facts.
1) Priest healing is mediocre at best compared to every other healing in game - again was the same before but there were not many complaints about it because we were able to work around it. (aka bubbles not getting instantly dispelled)
2) We have very low mobility. for all those who don't understand this means that priests have a very tough time getting around while slowed/cc/etc. which every other healer has an ability to counteract (there was SW:d vs sheeps but now it has a stun so a resheep is easily done).
I will concede that this are in theory manageable, they were all there during the previous seasons. There is one huge problem now though, our heals as disciple proc bubbles which allow us a quick break to make our low heals actually count. Through blizzards effective removal of RNG (don't get me wrong I hate RNG) they have effectively gimped the priest class, which revolved around magical shields.
I am all for the implementation of only absorption effects being changed to undispellable, and something similar should be added to druids (i cannot see how this would hurt PvE as i don't believe bosses dispel players).
I know people will quote this post saying "ur retarted blizz dotn care about pvp" and to those people, i will answer to you in advance, yes they do, for the people that get the most recognition worldwide, are the high end arena players, not the top reiding guilds, and blizzard doesn't want their game to lose 20%+ of its players simply because they could not balance pvp (people will still play, but less, and will eventually quit because they don't like the game)
I like your suggestions =) i also read it on AJ where the IQ is above 80, gl man gettign this passed, i hope the devs actually look and change :)
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
A good rule of thumb is that any rant about the weakness of your own class or strength of another in PvP will be ignored until actual data is available from people playing the class at the appropriate level with the appropriate gear in the appropriate content.

Are Discipline Priests woefully underpowered in PvP? I don't know.

And neither do you.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
As I've said on AJ forums already:

I still think the best 2 changes possible for disc is:

Glyph/Talent: PW:S is no longer dispelable, Carbon copy glyph/talent for Rejuvenation for resto druids.

Penance: Heals for 7-9k per tick instead of 5k.

Those 2 changes alone and I wouldn't care as much about the ongoing lower damage/mobility.

Dispel resistance mechanics get frustrating and old, So I don't want us going back down that path again. I think this would bring balanced and fair changes that will benefit both druids and priests.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Are Discipline Priests woefully underpowered in PvP? I don't know.
And neither do you.

There was this thing called beta that happened, where people actually got a chance to play at 85. So yes, they do know, and what they saw, as multiple season gladiators wasn't good.

If you don't have something to contribute to the discussion, don't post, just move along.

@Topic:

I don't think dispel protection is the answer. They removed it because it was heavily RNG, and I think thats a good thing. I've had cases where it took 5 casts to pull a Hand of Freedom off a paladin, and I've had Pain Suppression purged in 1 key press. I think certain spells should be undispellable outright, especially pain suppression.

I like the ideas of "If Dispelled" functions on spells (if they actually work right). Maybe something like if shield gets dispelled, the dispeller is blinded by light for 2 seconds (no DR) to make them choose if dispel is worth it. Maybe a mana nuke to the dispeller, that might be very disc-priestey.

I can't speak to numbers because I haven't played at 85 and seen them. However, I can see things like a 20% across the board buff to spells disc rarely uses isn't going to address the problems being identified in this thread and others. If they want us to use those spells more, we need something to create a time where it makes sense to cast them. Right now, if I was starting in arena and I saw a priest or druid healer, I'd be telling my team to train the priest as I mashed dispel. That isn't fun or working correctly.

You know, it frustrates me that I can't post on Arena Junkies... But right now, I'm glad for it because this trash can't either.

Edited by Xzygy on 12/3/2010 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]