Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Top reasons to play a priest for Cataclysm PvP are to offensively/defensively dispel, Mana burn (going to be nerfed once priests get enough haste for it to be used again and healers will complain about it regardless of being the only healer that has to lessen the mana of others to bring them equal the mana regen of other healers), Mind control off cliffs if hit capped because the glyph of Divine Accuracy only gives priests 17% hit to Smite, give others shields in hope of not making the other opponents stronger because you wasted mana by putting them up or they just stole a 10k absorb shield, a fantastic shadowfiend that can be CC'd to prevent the priest from gaining any mana at all (although with a Fear Ward Macro on shadowfiend I guess you can still get mana sometimes unless it's dispelled then feared), the 8-10 second cast of Hymn of Hope just asking to be silenced, no mobility whatsover unless you spec into fade as Shadow or happen to have Body and Soul in Holy tree.
Again the mobility part will make it hard for a priest to even withstand melee in Cataclysm because hamstring is 50% I believe and Curse of Exhaustion is 60%, Chains of Ice is a slow over time spell, the spammable Arcane "Slow" slows casting too so it's not effective to even dispel the debuff, Crippling poison because with 5 stacks of Deadly poison it's going to be impossible to remove that with the brand new rank 1 Abolish disease as HOLY, the dazed effects you get from Typhoon, shaman frost shock, Fire mage Blast Wave daze, warlock conflagrate/shadowflame if glyphed (I'm sure I missed some).
I'd like to say this is a very important to notice and I quote from above "My suggestion is have dispel/purge take charges from prayer of mending, a la Earth Shield." This essentially gives priests the dispel protection against spellstealing mages, spam purging shamans, warlock felhunter pet, other priests, protection warriors and hunters. Ok so this is probably a bug or I don't understand why Prayer of Mending never actually had 5 stacks... after all it does have 5 charges doesn't it? The problem is it gets dispelled with 1 offensive dispel even spellsteal. It is also the reason why it is ineffective to dispel a shaman's earth shield of up to 8 stacks, it would take 4 GCDs of Dispel Magic to remove earth shield.
A priest deserved the right to be a tank pvp cloth healer because they could not move far and Inner Will won't help priest mobility it would just hinder survivability because you would lose spellpower and armor to use it unless you fight casters only.
If none of the above is true then...
Essentially Blizzard is telling everyone who plays and loves the priest lore/history to reroll a paladin, hey even some top rated Discipline priests are busy getting their paladins to 80... let's see why:
1. Paladins do not even need mana with the new Holy Power mechanic to heal, it gives them another instant, it can sometimes not cost any Holy Power, Paladins also get a nice pet at 85 to aid them in healing. Try dueling another Holy Paladin, mana burn spam them and attempt to kill them with dots and your highest burst... chances are you won't be able to dent their health pool as long as they have charges of Holy Power.
2. The Paladin mastery is essentially the previous Discipline priest model but with no shield because their instants are much better than a dispellable shield anyways, don't forget they get nice plate armor and a Power Infusion in the form of Divine Fervor.
3. IF you enjoyed the Holy Fire graphic as much as I did, you'll definitely love to be a paladin because you can aid in helping to get a kill with Exorcisms either instant/no mana cost proc from Holy Shock. In my Prot paladin gear I can hit under 1 second exorcisms such as .997 which are hard to interrupt.
4. Remember helping to get a kill for your teammates using Shadowfiend and Shadow Word:Death? Well after the recent nerfs to Shadow Word: Death because as Shadow it hit too hard, as a healer in my 4 piece Wrathful Discipline PvP set my SW: Death hits for roughly 3k at under 25% on high resilience targets. Well fear no more because as a Paladin you can hit Hammer of Wrath to "Execute" someone because as Holy Paladin mine hits for 7-12k depending on resilience of targets after the massive Hammer of Wrath buff.
5. You never have to worry about the dreaded offensive dispels against other priests in arena because as a paladin most of your buffs are cheaply rebuffed or will be direct heals and the Mastery from the absorb gives you dispel protection for PvP.
6. Ever hate being killed first in arena and then your partners blame you for dying at the start of the match after you used everything in your power to keep yourself alive and yes I'm talking about Pain suppression, fear, all instants, penance, Power Infusion etc? Well as a Paladin you essentially get complete immunity in the form of Divine shield to catch up on healing or to avoid being CC'd unless there's an opponent priest which will be highly rare seeing as everyone will reroll paladin or ask for "balance". And even Aura mastery to prevent those nasty silences on your only school of magic>>Holy.
7. Hate being stuck as a priest and not being able to move? Well fear no more paladins also get Hand of Freedom.
8. Your team mates are being instant gibbed by 2 melee? How about a Hand of Protection or Sacrifice on them to halt damage or even prevent spikiness.
9. If there is no offensive dispeller on their team you get an extra... yeah I'm talking about 5 minute Beacon of Light which With glyph costs 0 mana to apply.
10. If you don't have an 80 paladin because you failed to foreshadow that a well played paladin can outlast/outheal any class then roll a paladin ASAP and collect your free Gladiator assuming you played an 1800 rated priest in any bracket.
Edited by Feardotpanic on 12/5/2010 10:24 AM PST
Hmm Paladin sounds OP at 80 and it will be fixed at 85 because we all know Blizzard will see Holy Power was a bad idea to give to 1 healer only and giving an "absorb" mastery proves too well for PvP.
After all the only healers that wield the "True Light" are priests so it questions me to ask why didn't priests get Holy Power or are we (healing priests) corrupted by the 3rd spec in the Priest class: Shadow so we cannot wield the light. I thought I rolled the best class in the game for healing... that's why we have 2 specs right umm to change our playstyle a bit but what's the point when the other healers with only 1 healing spec have mobility, dispel protection, useful interrupts instead of the BROKEN FEAR (I say this for my main warlock and my priest alt). I feel bad when I play my priest because I wonder if I can dispel berserker rage off a warrior or a feral druid when they peak DPS on my priest and still have access to interrupt my only means of healing after Prayer of Mending, Desperate Prayer, Pain Suppression, Shield are on CD which is Flash Heal Spam the only means for Discipline to catch back up on healing.
Off the top of my head shamans should be your next option if Paladin sounds too OP because they have Mana Tide Totem, Wind Shear to interrupt, spammable totems which may even give immunity to fear/seduce on pulses, Grounding totem to protect yourself, 8 stack Earth shield *impossible to dispel without going oom*, decent CC in form of Hex, even nice sustained burst with Fire totem that hits pretty hard and lastly is the near infinite mana if you get hit with Water Shield Orbs up.
Next option would be a druid because Tree form can no longer be banished by warlocks, Cyclone is an excellent CC to use, and you can shapeshift into bear form to prevent a Sheep anyways hence no point in removing Tree Form and it's Polymorph immunity, life Bloom is plenty enough dispel protection for whoever they are focusing anywhere because it heals a lot when spammed, if you are snared just shapeshift into travel form this includes frost mage Slows, heck if you're crazy enough you can start a match in stealth and use your Bear Form abilities to stun into a 3-4 chained cyclone combo. Ofcourse druids suffer from any type of dispelling but overall strong with a shorter "Pain Suppression" in the game=Barkskin.
Continuing on from disparity of healers only. I foresee PvP not being fun for a healer since what made PvP fun before was getting the "Good" gear and PvE trinkets to have limitless mana in arena/Battlegrounds. Their Cataclysm model is to avoid healer mana regeneration to be so good that you can almost heal without ever drinking. The mortal strike debuff of 50% was too potent but the change to 10% means Shadow Priest, Frost Mages, Rogues, Warlock Felguard in Demonology, Arms Warriors, Hunter (not sure spec) will all have it and thus healing will be reduced by 10% at all times on the specs that excel at burst damage anyways.
Huge imbalances that will continue until level 85 and will most likely not change are: Mage Counterspell lasts way too long when used properly, Ice lance for Frost mages hits for more than a well casted Frostbolt & Deep Freeze already causes the person to take a ton of damage why not shortening the stunned part so healers have a chance to catch up & Water Elemental does not make the mage vulnerable like a a pet is to a warlock (think Soul Link, on top of that mages having what was once a "guardian pet" out at all times is ridiculous) it gives them extra DPS, Warlock Shadowfury is a great interrupt for Destruction, Demonology has too much burst if the player does not have a trinket for Axe Toss same as Beast Mastery Hunters and the hellfire AOE range while moving will annihilate rogues in arena and feral druids, Holy Paladins do not need Holy Power nor such a strong Hammer of Wrath and Turn Evil, Warrior charge/stuns are basically as long as most spells in the game, subtlety rogue can reset the match endlessly unless it has a bleed on it, Death Knights should not have UNDISPELLABLE Diseases, Shamans should not be able to spam Water shield to retain mana or spam totems giving them near immunity to fear, Wind Shear should only be given to Enhancement as they are melee not to Restoration shamans, Assassination rogues have too far of an unfair advantage with Vendetta against other rogues, Moonkins did not need the 1 minute silence because they essentially get a Counterspell if they root the target and Solar Beam & treants for Balance is like a warlock using an infernal or doomguard in arena, Druid cyclone works too well, Rogue Sap is pretty powerful with the new glyph of Blind which removes dots and so is the rarely used Gouge, Shadow Priests disarm and Silence combo is already too much pressure but add in the RNG of Shadowy Apparitions, Fire Mage Cauterize is like the Old Argent Defender, the new Arcane Polymorph stun is a bit excessive for a spec that deals the best burst in the game, Mage Armor has to go because it not only reduces dots in almost 50% but it reduces the use of crowd control also meanwhile giving them an innate resistance to all spell schools, a Retribution Paladin should not depend on Avenging Wrath as Burst because it uses their "execute" CD of Hammer of Wrath.
Solution: All stuns should be reduced to the level of Fear, if Fear is to remain a viable form of CC. If Fear is not changed then give warlocks a Cyclone like ability to remove melee off of us, give priests a Chastise ability for all healing specs. Removing glyph of Blind for rogues, removing glyph of polymorph, glyph of Seduce which all remove dots and make those CC's too powerful. If healers become much weaker than at 80, then things like silences should be shortened to at least a 5 second silence regardless if a healer gets caught in one because as of now they can be chained on a small Diminishing Returns as stuns and a longer CD on Wind shear if mana efficient heals are to be used.
80 Blood Elf Mage
Who's side are you on man? Some of this things would nerf your class, please don't give Devs stupid ideas like those. Don't want another expansion of Healing God Mode.
1 Human Mage
How good healers are in PvP at this point in time
Shaman > disc priest > paladin > druid > holy priest.
As you can see, two things need to happen.
Decrease the effectiveness of shaman and disc priest healing and buff holy priests and druids as well as add some utility to holy paladins to escape CC other than an 8 second dispellable immunity
So yes, priests, HOLY priests, need 'fixing'
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.