2k dps difference because of random procs

100 Human Paladin
First I understand paladin dps was nerf'ed heavily in 4.0.3a because of inquisition at level 81. Based on how much how much holy damage I do, I don't think inquisition will cover that spread. We need to be careful moving forward with rets.

But this post is about something else. It's about getting only 1 proc of art of war over an entire boss fight in vault of archavon last night. My difference in dps between the fire boss and the ice boss last night was 2.1k dps. because art of war simply did not proc on one boss. It was non-existent. On the second boss, it was proc'ing back to back sometimes. I personally, and maybe I'm the only one, but I personally do not believe 10k single target on one boss and less than 8k dps on the next one, doing the exact same thing, is acceptable or fun.

I do not know what should be done to fix it. Perhaps, art of war should be guaranteed to proc on a 15 second internal cool down. If it hasn't proc'ed in 15 seconds, your next hit causes art of war proc. To go an entire boss fight and having it proc once caused me to pull my hair out and I had to make a post about it.

Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Some sort of PPM mechanic would be nice for a number of the procs ret has to deal with. At the least it would help address the famine or drought periods you can run into with no regard to skill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
ret is pretty screwy right now in general
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
What?!?! rng affects your dps?
Reply Quote
73 Human Hunter

Stop trolling, RNG isn't supposed to be making a 2k dps difference >_> that's ridiculous.

On the other hand I think all discussion about buffs and nerfs can wait for 4 more days at least. Hell I'd give it a week so we actually are y'know, 85.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Stop trolling, RNG isn't supposed to be making a 2k dps difference >_> that's ridiculous.

Welcome to WotLK for Moonkins.

I'm not saying that's an excuse to make another spec suffer the same thing, but for the past 2 years, Moonkin DPS could easily swing that much depending on procs and the timing of boss events that required movement.

Here's hoping that Blizzard it quicker to fix annoying issues like that than they have been in the past.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Welcome to WotLK for Moonkins.

Except moonkins are fixed now so why cant they do the same for ret paladins?

Way to completely ignore the rest of my post. :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

It's not affecting, it's dictating, which I think is not a good way to do it and if it's like that for your class as well, it shouldn't be. Irregular RNG can not be overcome by player skill, no matter how good you are. A string of bad luck is detrimental to DPS, if RNG is to be a factor for classes, there should be built in stop gaps to prevent an over abundance of bad luck.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

It's not affecting, it's dictating, which I think is not a good way to do it and if it's like that for your class as well, it shouldn't be. Irregular RNG can not be overcome by player skill, no matter how good you are. A string of bad luck is detrimental to DPS, if RNG is to be a factor for classes, there should be built in stop gaps to prevent an over abundance of bad luck.

The rotation is at the point where, if you're unlucky, you either don't have enough to do or too many procs make use of. Where we need to be at is more consistently having procs come in at a manageable rate to award good gameplay more than luck.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
The same could be said for a mutilate rogue, no ruthlessness procs and having to mutx2 every finisher cycle completely KILLS dps and lot more than 2k.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
2k dps swings because of rng is nothing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm not saying AoW doesn't need changing but VoA fights are very short samples nowadays.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Some sort of PPM mechanic would be nice for a number of the procs ret has to deal with

Detected: a player that doesn't understand what PPM actually means. It is only a means of calculating proc chances based on attack speed. It does not mean you will always get X procs in Y timeframe.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
The chances are pretty high that you did the 10k to toravon, and that's mostly due to how the raid probably didn't use heroism/blood lust until toravon. While hero isn't a full 2k dps, it really tones down the difference you're seeing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

Detected: a player that doesn't understand what PPM actually means. It is only a means of calculating proc chances based on attack speed. It does not mean you will always get X procs in Y timeframe.

I suppose I should be using the term normalized rather than ppm, duly noted.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]