Ret numbers display (TV) not working properly

85 Human Paladin
Has anyone noticed the damage from Templar's Verdict often doesn't display with the rest of your damage? I can crit someone for 15k and the number won't pop up in yellow text. I think it may be because of Seals of Command -- we have so many stupid little numbers flying everywhere that the system gets clogged and we miss the important stuff. I'm not sure it's only TV either (it's possible it can happen with any attack), but it seems the most common number which simply doesn't appear.

Is this happening to other classes? I posted here on the DDF to see if it's a paladin bug or if it has to do with too many damage numbers popping up simultaneously.

It can actually affect gameplay because I don't instantly know how much damage my nuke did and have to glance at my target's health more often than I should. Basically, it's distracting. It's also really lame in the opposite manner because I'd like to make some movies in Cataclysm and most of the damage people will see are three digit crits from seals. How exciting. =\

I'll probably post this on the bug report forum soon, but I wanted a little more info first. Thanks!
Edited by Hofflerand on 12/3/2010 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
I use Mik's scrolling combat text and I can see the numbers for TV. But I'm not getting any 15K crits. Maybe from an exo but not from TV.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Using Blizzard's SCT, lots of things don't appear.

Switched to Parrot(SQWAK!!!) and everything shows up nicely.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I threw out some random big number. :P The point is, however much damage TV is doing, it's getting shoved to the side by damage ranging from 200-400.

I hate Seals of Command. If this isn't fixed, I may have to pick up MSBT. I used it for a while and it was kinda nice. The only problem with it is the damage doesn't appear over the target's head. That damage can help help keep track of a target in a mess like AV. Hell, back when I used MSBT I occasionally lost track of targets in 5v5.

I can't see the damage of my main nuke a lot of the time, Word of Glory resets the swing-timer (omfg this kills Ret PvP), and Cataclysm is half a week away. =(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Seemed to happen a lot to my rogue with envenom and eviscerate.. maybe it has something to do with "combo point" type mechanics and finishers? dunno

ps <3 hoff
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
hmm, that's unfortunate news. If it's been happening to other classes for some time now and is a problem with the combat-text at large, I think it's less likely we'll see a fix.

and <3!
Reply Quote
Same issue. It's not always TV, sometimes the damage from Exo or even CS is lost. This leads me to believe that it is just a limitation of the built-in combat text. When too many things cause damage at once, it will drop some of them to keep up. I recently switched back to the default combat text for the very reasons that Hoff listed, but I am fairly sure that this is not the first time the default has behaved this way.
Edited by Balecry on 12/3/2010 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I threw out some random big number. :P The point is, however much damage TV is doing, it's getting shoved to the side by damage ranging from 200-400.

I hate Seals of Command. If this isn't fixed, I may have to pick up MSBT. I used it for a while and it was kinda nice. The only problem with it is the damage doesn't appear over the target's head. That damage can help help keep track of a target in a mess like AV. Hell, back when I used MSBT I occasionally lost track of targets in 5v5.

I can't see the damage of my main nuke a lot of the time, Word of Glory resets the swing-timer (omfg this kills Ret PvP), and Cataclysm is half a week away. =(

i'm going to guess that since the blues have been absolutely silent for a few weeks now, the devs are too busy fixing as many things as they can given the feedback from the beta as they can before cata hits. hopefully things like the combat text screw-ups and the WoG thing will be addressed, as it's likely they know about it if people reported it during the beta (and i hope people did!).

the only thing we can do is wait and see what they do with the feedback that players generated. after that, it'll be testing it on live and reporting anything else that flat-out doesn't work. i'm sure they fully expect to have to make lots of changes in about a month after people hit 85, because they retooled the game extensively and introduced a lot of new mechanics, new stats, and other things that they will have to fine-tune based on live game experience. things will get sorted out eventually, we'll just have to be patient. :D
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
This has been happening to Rogues for 6 years. It's a side effect of too many numbers on the screen at once.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
your positive outlook may cause this forum to explode, Martana. you've been given fair warning!

In general I agree, but WoG resetting the swing-timer is huge. This one little bug causes us to lose out on our highest burst attack, our entire mastery, and significant damage from auto-attack. I can deal with combat-text not working properly, but the WoG bug sticking around for an extended period of time is plain sloppy. It's a simple problem to fix and needs to be hot-fixed asap.

This has been happening to Rogues for 6 years. It's a side effect of too many numbers on the screen at once.

ahh okay. That sucks. The thing is, Seals of Command is basically a seal on top of a seal. It's stupid and it only exists for flavor (the old Seal of Command) and so we pick up the SoR cleave without whining about how we'll skip it because AoE is useless on bosses.

How about change SoC from a separate hit to "increases seal damage by x%"?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah i think SoC should just increase the damage of seals by x amount (and get rid of seals of the pure)

they may have done it this way though (through wep damage) so that our holy damage doesn't get too high...but I don think just increasing seal damage instead would have done that
Edited by Thantor on 12/3/2010 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I don't have the seals of command talent but still sometimes it doesn't record my TV hit.

utoh

Yeah i think SoC should just increase the damage of seals by x amount (and get rid of seals of the pure)

Yea, Seals of the Pure would be redundant at that point. Well, it already is but it doesn't seem that way since SoC has a light style difference. If SotP was changed as well, it'd have to remain something attractive to Ret PvE.

I want to see it turned into something like Chimera Shot, personally.

SOT would put a holy damage DOT
SOI would heal you a bit
SOR would do some extra AOE damage
SOJ would spawn ponies and rainbows

You know how the Ret-snare crowd is gonna interpret ponies and rainbows, right? :P This is quite a cool idea and it can go places. Seals would share a cooldown then, I suppose. I'd like that.

While I prefer your idea, SoC could be make more complex without redesigning the seal system. Just as Righteousness becomes the Cleave seal, each seal could have an added benefit. For example, Justice could cap cast-speed at 100% (by which I mean it would not allow casters to benefit from procs and Heroism. Haste from gear would still be applied). That may or may not be balanced, but you gotta admit it'd be cool and would shut up all the complaining about SoJ. :P
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Rogue
I don't think it's a VT thing. I think the battle spam is throttled and there doesn't seem to be any priority to it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Yeah sometimes I'll set up a nice juicy 5pt CB envenom and see a bunch of 900s and maybe a 1200 from poison ticks and maybe a few white hits instead of the potential 12k crit.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yea, so getting back to the original topic, combat text needs to be refined so it prioritizes higher damage abilities during spam.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]