Disc Priest vs Counterspell

85 Undead Priest
Hello,

I was wondering what's the deal with counterspell? If I get counterspelled on my disc tree why is it shutting off my holy as well( Vice versa ) for 8 seconds straight on both? Aren't they different schools? I'm not speaking of the regular 4 second silence either. Shouldn't it be if a priest is caught CS'd from a penance the disc school goes on a 8 sec silence and the holy + everything else is on a 4 sec silence if the mage is spec'd 2/2 into imp counterspell? At the moment if you're caught in one holy/disc spell cast everything goes on silence for 8 sec for both trees = mage #@#!.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
All Healing spells from the Priest trees are from the "Holy" school.

It's SCHOOLS that are locked out, not trees.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Yeah, no more silence duration reduction. And longer cast times it seems. It really is painful.

Just holy nova and pray.

I'm actually concerned for the state of healing in pvp, things feel very very different. DPS is outstripping us at 80 I'm not confident about what's going to happen at 85.

Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
Talent Trees != Spell Schools

Trees: 30 (3 per class * 10 classes)
Schools: Fire, Frost, Nature, Shadow, Arcane, Holy

Priests use shadow and holy. When one spell is shut out, the other is available; take the time to dot up a target or start mana burning.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Okay thanks guys lol since vanilla I guess I thought disc was a spell school =[ but it is lame being cs'd by a mage even once.. there's only enough times you can fake cast and eat damage until you gotta heal

TY TY everyone
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Perhaps spare a thought for holy paladins. Once they are counterspelled they can not do ANYTHING, no heals, no bubbles all they can do i auto attack.

Another example of disc priests not realizing how good they had/have it
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PK
12/03/2010 11:57 PMPosted by Itsover
Perhaps spare a thought for holy paladins. Once they are counterspelled they can not do ANYTHING, no heals, no bubbles all they can do i auto attack.

nt troll except paladins have a wide range of instant cast heals making them not as susceptible to counterspells
Edited by Substantial on 12/4/2010 12:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Every healer is severely crippled by lockouts. Why make it a competition? We all have the instants to avoid CS and yet we rely on hardcasts from the same school for real output.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PK
disc priests have instants? nope

and no renew and prayer of mending doesn't count
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
So Holy Nova, PW:S, Renew, Power Infusion, Pain suppression, Dispel, Fear and PoM don't fall under the category of instants.

Ok. My argument is invalid.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/04/2010 12:14 AMPosted by Substantial

nt troll except paladins have a wide range of instant cast heals making them not as susceptible to counterspells

So once a holy paladin has thrown a 10k holy shock + WoG combination on a player with 120k health and now has to wait 6 seconds until the next 10k instant cast heal combination what do you suggest? a 5minute cooldown lay on hands? or will they have to cast an extremely long holy or divine light?

I play almost every healer and none of them are having an easy time in cata but you know what? I will overcome this and remain in the top brackets on my disc priest and resto shaman and holy paladins. That's what good PvPers do.
Edited by Itsover on 12/4/2010 3:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

I totally know your pain. Back in the day totems were considered nature spells and were locked out when counterspelled and also could not be cast during silence. Getting locked out of the nature tree (every single spell with a cast time back then) meant you had exactly two abilities on the same cooldown: frost shock and flame shock, neither one of which would do much good in a lockout situation.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/04/2010 3:12 AMPosted by Leafs
So Holy Nova, PW:S, Renew, Power Infusion, Pain suppression, Dispel, Fear and PoM don't fall under the category of instants.

Ok. My argument is invalid.

Joke spell, dispellable, dispellable, not a heal, LEGIT RESPONSE, not a heal, not a heal, dispellable.

The instant cast and zero dispel resistance discussions really need to be had together, not apart, otherwise, yes we do have instants.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/03/2010 8:57 PMPosted by Taym

Priests use shadow and holy. When one spell is shut out, the other is available; take the time to dot up a target or start mana burning.

As a correction, the priest schools are discipline, holy and shadow. The secret in determining a spell's school is to see which spellbook tab it calls home. As has been stated, priest heals are in the holy school, even for discipline priests.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/04/2010 5:27 AMPosted by Élise

As a correction, the priest schools are discipline, holy and shadow. The secret in determining a spell's school is to see which spellbook tab it calls home. As has been stated, priest heals are in the holy school, even for discipline priests.

....troll?
If not, look at which tree penance is in and then get a gheal interrupted and try to cast it.
Or try PW:S while interrupted in holy.
Edited by Cybele on 12/4/2010 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Try that against a full Wrathful Frost Mage. Even if they Counterspell Mana Burn or Mind Control, You'll likely have to heal through the burst, their spellsteals and then you'll be caught in a Deep Freeze>>Frostbolt>Ice Lance 2x>Counterspell and weak Fire Blast combo to finish you off.

Don't forget the new Mage armor, it gives them a lot of mana regeneration and if specced into Replenishment it's hard to oom a mage with Mana Burns. Plus it hurts our dots a lot when they're essentially reduced to 1/2 effectiveness on Mage Armor.

Don't worry it should change at 85 and if not they may tone down the effectiveness of a good counterspell which lasts 8 seconds. And yes I always wondered that, the talent tree that gives Penance is Discipline not the Holy tree but I guess it all goes into the Holy School.
Edited by Sacredscythe on 12/6/2010 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
12/03/2010 8:25 PMPosted by Víshious
Hello,

I was wondering what's the deal with counterspell? If I get counterspelled on my disc tree why is it shutting off my holy as well( Vice versa ) for 8 seconds straight on both? Aren't they different schools? I'm not speaking of the regular 4 second silence either. Shouldn't it be if a priest is caught CS'd from a penance the disc school goes on a 8 sec silence and the holy + everything else is on a 4 sec silence if the mage is spec'd 2/2 into imp counterspell? At the moment if you're caught in one holy/disc spell cast everything goes on silence for 8 sec for both trees = mage #@#!.

Mages have been always balanced, we need a trinket every 15 seconds in the form of Blink. We got Counterspell improved in case we mess up. If we catch you spamming heals while near death you seal your fate anyways and we kill you without trouble.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]