East Coast gets the shaft

(Locked)

85 Human Priest
We didn't really get a head start, we had to go to sleep eventually like you west coasters. I probably wouldn't be too off to venture out and say that most ppl here have work/school and can't take a day off just for a video game. So just because world time wise we get it earlier, the reality is that we still live 3 hours ahead and our sleep schedules are 3 hours ahead as well. So it makes more sense to let the west coast know that the east coast got a "3 hour headstart" rather then the east coast knowing that the west coast got a whole days start. Few ppl will be able to play at 3am lol.... So we are essentially waiting another day until we can play.
85 Tauren Druid
Yes, I care about achievements and realm firsts. I worked my butt off to help my guild get many during WotLK, including Light of Dawn, but in addition to all the cool titles I got in WotLK, I have another one that's just as important, "Breadwinner."

That's why at midnight PST on Tuesday I know exactly where I'll be. Asleep, in my bed, with my dog and girlfriend. Not in any specific order. The dog throws the whole big spoon-little spoon thing out of wack.

No company anywhere, at any time, can please everyone. Logistically someone is going to get "shafted" by any launch, no matter what time it is. I know people who have college finals the day before and the day of launch. I know people who have jobs like myself. I know others who are taking weeks off work just to play WoW. Everyone is different. Stop acting like you're some unique snowflake who needs to be coddled.
85 Tauren Paladin
As an East Coaster, it's a bit of a double edged sword. I want the Collector's Edition, and if I lived on the Pacific Coast then I'd have to debate with myself whether to get the Collector's Edition and play a good 20-30 minutes after the servers go up for Cataclysm or get the Digital Edition and play immediately. By being on the East Coast, this decision is one I don't have to make and that makes me a bit happy.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's not a what's good for the goose is good for the gander situation, BUT, for both previous expansions (and original game launch I believe) the servers went up at 12:01 AM EST. Meaning us West coasters were waiting in line knowing there were people on the East coast that had a three hour head start.

It's not a revenge kick, but it's a fact that East coast has had the 'favored' launch times every time except this one.

As far as 'why' it's due to the digital preorder and the way the kick-on needs to happen on a regional level.

I agree with everything you have said there.

One standard time is much preferable, however I would prefer it to be 12AM EST not PST. But then again its just me. It's not like you are restricting the distribution of the game till the release date anyways.

If you had restricted the distribution of game till release date, then I can see the logic and harm of activating it at 12 AM EST. But since everyone should have the game before 7th dec anyways, there really doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
Community Manager
It's not a what's good for the goose is good for the gander situation, BUT, for both previous expansions (and original game launch I believe) the servers went up at 12:01 AM EST. Meaning us West coasters were waiting in line knowing there were people on the East coast that had a three hour head start.

It's not a revenge kick, but it's a fact that East coast has had the 'favored' launch times every time except this one.

As far as 'why' it's due to the digital preorder and the way the kick-on needs to happen on a regional level.

Wait, what? Isn't 12 EST equal to 9 PST? That would mean you still got a head start.

No. Stores don't sell until it's midnight. Midnight PST is 3am EST. They've had three hours to play before anyone could even buy the game on the West coast.
Edited by Bashiok on 12/3/2010 11:13 AM PST
85 Tauren Shaman
I guess I didn't make it clear enough the first time, but I am not trying to complain. I am simply asking why Blizzard decided to change the way they have released expansions in the past. Burning Crusade was fully playable at midnight Eastern.. I just don't understand why those of us on the east coast have to wait until 3 AM now..

P.S. I don't have any vacation time left. :(

As Smoochum's posted, and I have seen several threads about this same complaint.

Midnight Pacific Time is the same time as 3AM Eastern Time. Thus when the switch is flipped in California at Midnight for Cataclysm to go live, it will be 3AM Eastern time. So, the game goes live at the same time for everyone regardless of where they live.

I didnt bother trying to play BC the instant it went live but it wouldnt make much sense for Blizz to have turned it on at midnight EST for those on the East Coast and then midnight PST 3 hours later for those on the West Coast. Maybe they did, due to forgetting about the time set on different servers, I dont know. Regardless, the way they are doing it now is fair to everyone, because everyone gets it turned on at once, not one coast at one time and the other 3 hours later.

If nothing else look at it as a bonus to East Coast players getting 3 extra hours of sleep in before it gets turned on.

It still boils down to the same thing though, Mighnight PST is the same time as 3AM EST.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ego
I remember logging on at 9pm BC release day and seeing my first BE in org... ah those were the days..
90 Undead Warrior

So now instead of east coast getting to play, most of us will be sleeping for work/school the next day while west coast can play? At least west coast people got to play during past releases.
61 Troll Shaman
I like this thread because of how much timezones mess people up
80 Human Paladin
This thread again...

1. Their HQ is located in Irvine, CA
2. Release date is December 7
3. December 7 happens at 12 am (that would be midnight) PST for Blizzard HQ.

I am buying it at midnight release (woohoo I am PST) but since I have a test the next morning, then work I won't be playing it until I get home. Its not the end of the world, you aren't missing out on anything you haven't already seen/experienced before aside from teh furry/green men.

I suppose this could be the case... however, I'd LIKE to think that they are opening Cata for play at one set time, because in all acutality, that time is the SAME around the world. So people in PST will ACTUALLY start playing the exact same time as EST or CST because of the time difference. This gives no one particular time zone a head start on anyone else. Seems more fair that way.
61 Troll Shaman

So now instead of east coast getting to play, most of us will be sleeping for work/school the next day while west coast can play? At least west coast people got to play during past releases.

This really isn't anybodies problem but your own
80 Human Paladin

I am frankly insulted by this. What about everyone else East of those playing at PST? You know, much of the Americas, Europe, Asia, Pacific?
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

Wait, what? Isn't 12 EST equal to 9 PST? That would mean you still got a head start.

No. Stores don't sell until it's midnight. Midnight PST is 3am EST. They've had three hours to play before anyone could even buy the game on the West coast.

Yes but... this is an MMO. it matters little when the physical package is SOLD, what matters is when the content is LIVE.

There is no reason the brick-and-mortar retailers cannot sell early. Online orders will arrive during the day, and digital downloaders have had the content for nearly a month.

I'm not complaining... it's just a consideration for the next expansion.
78 Undead Death Knight
There has been no good reason presented as to why only the West Coast or the Jobless get to participate in these events. An easy compromise would have been 9pm PST / 12am EST, if it is so important to have them occur simultaneously.

Due to the way retailers work, that's a terrible compromise.

Midnight launches are easy. The Point-of-Sale (POS) software has rolled over, so all unit sales count towards the next day's sales figures. Most retailers close at 9 PM, so the store management has time to close out the register for the evening before opening the doors back up for the launch event.

A 9 PM launch does not give them that. At the time when they'd normally be closing out their POS and shutting down, they now have a huge crowd of people coming in to buy a game with a street date of the next day.

That muddies up the books considerbly, and causes sales launch figures that should only count for one day's sales to split out over two days.

Here's a hint: Blizzard likes those one-day sales figures at launch. Every publisher does. Those make headlines. Having the first three hours technically apply to the day before takes a lot of winid out of their sails.

90 Undead Death Knight
I attended the midnight sale along with a few friends, and we were home and up and running by around 1:30 AM or so.

Oh No, people in other timezones will be playing before me!!!

The midnight sale you went to was not midnight in CA was it? No. It was midnight in your time zone. No different then Cata is. I would suggest if you want to play at midnight in CA timezone, start some toons on a PST server. Otherwise, deal with it.
90 Night Elf Rogue
All I've seen in this thread are people that live on the east coast QQing about how they won't get to shaft everyone else by getting the game before every other U.S. timezone.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]