Highest Skill Caps Among Damage-Dealers?

85 Tauren Druid
My friends and I are looking to start a 3-person leveling group, and are interested in keeping ourselves entertained with challenging and complex classes. For example, I love the feral cat playstyle, and even miss the "John F***ing Madden days!

Which specs are the most challenging/rewarding to skill cap?

Which specs have the most buttons and procs to manage while DPSing?

Which specs should we avoid as being too simple, especially while leveling?

We're ok with taking a "weaker" spec if its challenging.
Edited by Zalius on 12/3/2010 12:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Most specs and classes are of the same complexity level barring sub rogue and demo lock.

The real question is what spec is hilariously faceroll.
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
The fact that feral is so faceroll now should not obscure the fact that, to play it at its highest potential requires monitoring a lot of bleeds, etc while also maintaining good position on the target.
Reply Quote
84 Dwarf Death Knight
Warlocks have always been very rewarding in terms of skillcap/attention level/multitask ability. Speaking in terms of both Affilc and Demo, never ever was a fan of Dest, felt too much like a Mage and never made sense for the class, to me. I'd say Druid if you didn't already have one. I enjoyed leveling my Shaman right before the big 4.0 change, was aoe-based but there were more opportunities with that class than I think most people realize. Arms Warrior is fun, has a few things to manage, and feels rewarding IMO (notice I didn't say extremely difficult, just quite fun). Discipline is very fun in my opinion, though I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Stay away from Mage.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Mages can be pretty rewarding in pve. If you all rolled pures and then ran dungeons, you could have quite a bit of fun.
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
Just curious: why is sub rogue harder than other kinds of rogue? Shadowstep + ambush seems like it would be pretty easy to carry off- it teleports you right behind the target every 20 seconds. Much harder to avoid being kited as a mutilate rogue.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Just curious: why is sub rogue harder than other kinds of rogue? Shadowstep + ambush seems like it would be pretty easy to carry off- it teleports you right behind the target every 20 seconds. Much harder to avoid being kited as a mutilate rogue.

Positional requirements, more keybinds.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin

They are talking pve.

Sub has to watch:

Hemo debuff
Rupture
SnD
Recoup
---all 4 of these must be up at all times---
then CPs and energy to use evis
then on top of that they need to use shadowdance and vanish as thier DPS cooldowns.

the complaint from some is actually its a bit too much right now as distracts from the actual game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The fact that feral is so faceroll now should not obscure the fact that, to play it at its highest potential requires monitoring a lot of bleeds, etc while also maintaining good position on the target.

Cept its not faceroll...
It has actually gotten a lot harder with the change to tigers fury. Just because our bleeds do a ton of damage due to how much mastery we can stack at 80 does not make our rotation faceroll.. The only thing that has changed is we A. Don't have to have a mangle bot. B. SR and rake are a little bit longer. Things like trying to line up tigers fury with both rip and rake as much as possible while being drained of energy to fully benefit from king of the jungle make it some what harder now more than ever. Also using FB at the right time is also some what difficult for new ferals.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage

Cept its not faceroll...
It has actually gotten a lot harder with the change to tigers fury. Just because our bleeds do a ton of damage due to how much mastery we can stack at 80 does not make our rotation faceroll..

Mages haven't been able to get away with the "we're only OP at 80" excuse, neither can ferals :D
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman

Cept its not faceroll...
It has actually gotten a lot harder with the change to tigers fury. Just because our bleeds do a ton of damage due to how much mastery we can stack at 80 does not make our rotation faceroll..

Mages haven't been able to get away with the "we're only OP at 80" excuse, neither can ferals :D

except for us it's actually true :D
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
The real skill cap is following !*@!ing directions.
Reply Quote
Every spec is easy to play but difficult to master.

That being said though, Shadow is sorta complex right now. Two different DoT buffs that need to be maintained before you refresh DoTs, three DoTs to keep up, mana spells on cooldown (because mana is horrendous at 85, from my experience on Beta), Mind Blast on cooldown, Mind Flay as filler, SW:D on cooldown in the execute phase, and Archangel as a dps cooldown.

It's probably not the most complex class, but it does require a bit of thought. Demonology is also tough (and really fun, in my opinion).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I hear tell that enhance is interesting.

Combat rogue is for sure interesting- you have to coordinate cooldowns with your periodic buff (Bandit's Guile). Most rogues don't like it because it hurts target switching, and doesn't yield amazing (or even good) single target, but actually *executing* a good rotation is genuinely hard.

Subtlety is also complex, as is feral and at least one of the lock specs because you have to watch timers. The added complexity here isn't just pressing the button when a timer runs out, it's that you can't just press two buttons right away- say recuperate and slice and dice will both fall off in 10 seconds- you need to have a plan to reup one of them with time left such that you can refresh the other when it's about to fall- if you let them both fall simultaneously you'll simply not have combo points to refresh the second until you blow some time doing so.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
TCS
Frostmages in PvE can get both complex and insanely fun...but if you're leveling as a 3 man team, it's going to be faceroll no matter what class you play -_-

Legendary mages like Faxmonkey have shown the level of complexity in solo'ing some very tough elites, massive mob groups and even DUNGEONS as Frost (pre-4.0) and/or using custom-built specs. It's difficult on a whole new level. A Fire Mage recently soloed the trash waves + first boss from Hyjal, very entertaining to watch.

Edited by Stupefy on 12/3/2010 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
LOOK AT MY CLASS, IT'S LIKE BRAIN SURGERY.

I hate these sorts of threads..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]