Why do I get +spell power from strength?

90 Human Paladin
I've noticed that I get spell power improvements from STR on items. Before I realized that spell power > str I socketed an item with a STR gem. Much to my surprise, I realized that STR = spell power for prot.

Is that a glitch, a display error or real?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Do you read talents before you take them?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
PIE
Touched by the light. Its one of the bonuses that you get from being prot. It's only 60% of your strength going to spell power.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When you looked at your talent specialization window and decided to go prot... did you read tooltips for any of the spells or specialization bonuses? Did you read tooltips for your talents before 4.0.1?

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53592

Only decided to try prot this week. Been a blast. The tool tips have often been really off in the past, but I've been playing since vanilla. This is an alt I just explore and have fun with.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
For every 10 strength, you should be getting 6 more SP (or 5 Str = +3 SP) You get this JUST from picking Prot as your tree (same as you get Avenger's Shield.)

The reason you get it is to boost some of your stuff. Mostly HW/Consecration (I don't think either of these work off of AP), and to help your heals...not that you'll often be using them other than WoG.

But yes, look at the "summary" page of your talent trees, then look under Prot. You get several things as Prot:

-Avenger's Shield (you know what this does)
-Vengeance (increases your damage as you take hits - makes tanks feel less bad about not doing damage)
-Touched by the Light (Stamina +15%, Spell Hit +8% [helps taunts not miss], 60% Str => +SP)
-Judgements of the Wise (mana regen! Remember to Judge.)
-Divine Bulwark (Mastery => shield block % chance)

So there ya go. Touched by the Light is your main offender. It's also a damn AWESOME perk for tanks. For that matter, it's great for soloing and even PvP too. ^_^
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/03/2010 8:07 PMPosted by Wordofglory
Do you read talents before you take them?

You you read class abilities before you name your characters? I am assuming you also have a druid named Lifebloom...
Edited by Belryn on 12/4/2010 2:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Belryn, you think I named the character Light of truth (the Latin for Veritas lux) due to the class abilities. That would have been a good idea, but actually that was more of working out a paladin name with input from my daughter. I'm afraid you are giving me too much credit.

I started playing WoW as part of grief recovery and all of my characters had the word Bitter worked into them (Bitterroot, Bitterhope, Bitterfaith, Bitterdeath) and my paladin was originally named Bittertruth. When I got to feeling better I was looking for a better paladin name.

Decided to try prot as dps, and have been enjoying it for what has been about a week or two. I'm afraid I did it as a lark, without really reading about the details so much as enjoying the playstyle I'd seen. Since the numbers are ok when I saw others with it, I decided to go with it. I'm still making sense of protection, between the changes in the play style, mastery and everything else.

Oh, the druid is Bitterstar. Though the original character, a warlock, was renamed Starweave by the daughter who took the warlock over when I split the account so she would have her own.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/04/2010 4:12 AMPosted by Veritaslux
Belryn, you think I named the character Light of truth (the Latin for Veritas lux) due to the class abilities.

Or maybe he was talking about the 2nd post made by a Paladin named Wordofglory. Hence his quote saying "posted by Wordofglory". Just a thought.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/04/2010 4:14 AMPosted by Bravehearth
12/04/2010 4:12 AMPosted by Veritaslux
Belryn, you think I named the character Light of truth (the Latin for Veritas lux) due to the class abilities.

Or maybe he was talking about the 2nd post made by a Paladin named Wordofglory. Hence his quote saying "posted by Wordofglory". Just a thought.

That is obvious, but doesn't give me anything to riff on ;)

I love the name Bravehearth for a Paladin though.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
The same reason hit needs to be capped before expertise, you do a lot of spell damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]