Feral druid dots doing more dmg than aff?

85 Night Elf Druid
I'm not sure, but a DoT class appears to be doing the majority of its damage with DoTs. Is this intended?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm not sure, but a DoT class appears to be doing the majority of its damage with DoTs. Is this intended?

*Looks at aff locks*
Nope, apperantly not.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
It is a bit surprising to me, I never played a druid.
Given all the aspects of a druid, healing, control, mobility ...
with potent 'dots' seems OP, but maybe its balanced at 85.

Do they still have some finishing moves? I think I used to remember before 4.0 FB used to hit hard if they can get stacks or whatever lined up.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Warlocks need to get off their high horse when they think Affliction is the only DoT spec.

The second a Feral shifts out of Cat form, they lose about 40% bleed damage.
Edited by Foibles on 12/3/2010 1:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Orc Warrior
It is a bit surprising to me, I never played a druid.
Given all the aspects of a druid, healing, control, mobility ...

The dots are the majority of feral damage right now and it's the classes mastery mechanic too.

Do they still have some finishing moves? I think I used to remember before 4.0 FB used to hit hard if they can get stacks or whatever lined up.

4 Finishers
Maim - Stun
Rip - Big dot
Savage Roar - auto attack damage multiplier
Ferocious Bite - instant damage like eviscerate

My 5pt ferocious bites are critting for like 5k in pvp, granted my druid's feral gear is furious and a 245 weapon.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
and yet feral is not doing more damage than affliction in pve environments, it's strange how that happens.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Feral DoT's do seem a bit out of control at 80. Mutilate DoT's are pretty nuts, too. Maybe I'll just have to get used to thinking of these as DoT specs, I dunno.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
and yet feral is not doing more damage than affliction in pve environments, it's strange how that happens.

Thank you improved soul fire. /sarcasm
Edited by Pactmaker on 12/3/2010 7:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
82 Troll Druid
Just because two abilities appear similar does not mean that they should be doing similar amounts of damage, or even similar proportions relative to other abilities that classes perform.

In other words, just because Warriors and Paladins are 2h melee plate wearers, and both have a physical strike (Mortal Strike and Crusader Strike) doesn't mean those two abilities should be doing similar damage. You need to look at things like Mortal Strike's cooldown and debuff vs. Crusader Strike's Holy Power generation, and both of their costs, and how each ability effects how each class plays as a whole, not just their relative damage.

So, to bring it back home, Rip and Rake may seem very powerful (And, at 80, yes they are. Wait till 85 blah blah...), but both require energy (which, moment-to-moment is a rarer resource than mana) both need to be applied from melee range (Warlocks can apply DoTs from 40 yds.), both need Mangle/Trauma to be effective (your DoTs do not), and Rip requires combo points (where some of yours have cast times), not to mention you have two more DoTs than do Druids.

All of those differences, combined with the vastly different tool-sets possessed by Ferals vs. Warlocks, mean you can't really compare the two.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warlock
Troll sense tingling

Sorry bud, but wether you like it or not.. Feral is doing more Dot damage than affliction.

I still can't believe druids try to claim they're not OP at this point, I still think waiting for 85 is the best method before a nerf, but many druids here ACTUALLY believe their damage is justified.

There's a reason feral is beyond FOTM at the moment, I can see druids being the most played class at 85 from all the FOTM I have seen.

Defend it all you want, the druid class is going to get bad rep now due to the FOTM baddies.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I dont really care how much feral dot ticks, it;s just kinda sad how awful affli are right now. a master of shadow, a pure dps class shouldn'd be at this kind of situation where doing less damage than hybird class. ua suppose to protect our dot but its a bad joke now , with ua being a "joke" to healers, you can imagine how bad affi locks are.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Troll sense tingling

Sorry bud, but wether you like it or not.. Feral is doing more Dot damage than affliction.

whether or not feral's damage is balanced, given the mechanics of the spec and assuming the damage breakdown doesn't change, feral is going to have more dot damage than affliction. in addition, each individual 'tick' is going to be much higher, again, due to the different mechanics of the two specs.

you guys need to accept that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
To be fair, and Unholy Death Knight's diseases are probably going to do as much if not more damage than an Affliction Warlock's DoTs. Even in my poor PvP gear my DoTs tick for around 700 each and crit (frequently) for 1400. I don't even have a lot of Mastery (11 points worth).

I'm sorry to say that Affliction, once my absolute favorite Warlock spec, is really not much different than Destruction now in terms of its major damage dealers. Sure, you have more DoTs to keep up, but it just makes the spec more cumbersome for the same amount of damage.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Another key difference between feral DoTs and all caster DoTs (not just affliction)- they don't scale with haste. 2s ticks for rip, 3s for rake. Always. How fast do lock DoTs currently tick (yes, haste inflation/etc, I get it), and how many are there? Just curious, not a huge fan of locks, so I don't know their DoT mechanics perfectly.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
Why do affl locks think we are based off of them?

Why do Rogue's think we are based off of them?

Can't we just be our own class with our own mechanics?

If Affl is behind in DPS that needs to be brought up (new topic)?

If Rogue is behind that is also a new topic.

Feral, from every piece of evidence I could track down is "Fine" dps wise (pve) @ 85 & nothing near the OP we are now in 4.0 80 (I personally think fine, biased or not). If you don't think this is so, there are many threads already started discussing it.

OR wait 4 days, level to 80, find out for yourself.

Moo
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
What are we talking about here? Feral dots' individual ticks doing more than others'? The % of a feral's dps being dots is higher than others' %s? The overall amount of damage at the end of a fight being from dots more for ferals than it is for others?

In every case the follow up question invariably is: why not?
Reply Quote
To be fair, and Unholy Death Knight's diseases are probably going to do as much if not more damage than an Affliction Warlock's DoTs. Even in my poor PvP gear my DoTs tick for around 700 each and crit (frequently) for 1400. I don't even have a lot of Mastery (11 points worth).

I'm sorry to say that Affliction, once my absolute favorite Warlock spec, is really not much different than Destruction now in terms of its major damage dealers. Sure, you have more DoTs to keep up, but it just makes the spec more cumbersome for the same amount of damage.

Affliction doesn't have more DoTs to keep up than Destruction.

Both use Corruption

Aff UA - Destr Immolate
Aff BoA - Destr
Aff Haunt - Destr Chaos Bolt

Both have to hard cast Improved Soul Fires

Shadow Bolt and Haunt both refresh Corruption for Affliction
Drain Soul refreshes both Corruption and UA in Execute for Affliction

Aff Triggered SBolts: Destr Triggered Soul Fires

Destruction has Conflagrate, additionally

Affliction spends most of an encounter actually casting less spells than any Warlock spec. Most of the time is spent casting Shadow Bolts. It's probably the least-complicated spec we have to play in a PvE environment, since the presence of a DoT timer can be assumed due to all specs' reliance on DoTs for optimal damage output/performance.
Edited by Taikuri on 12/3/2010 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
Feral dots do more damage because they take much longer to setup than warlocks dots. Also there is no realistic way for a Feral to multi dot targets and keep them all rolling while a warlock can do that in both pve/pvp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]