I want 6.1 to add flight platforms!

100 Draenei Priest
I understand that players really want flying, and I do too, but I think the best way they can balance the need to satisfy that desire with the benefits of forcing people to stay on foot is to only permit flying mounts to "take off" from approved spots, like flight path NPCs. Maybe there could be flight platforms where weather control devices or spells nullify the powerful downdrafts that normally keep your flying mounts on the ground, and once you're airborne, you can fly wherever you'd like--until you touch down again, at which point you're once again earthbound until you make your way back to a flight platform. A solution like this lets players get around and explore Draenor from all angles, but it also forces you to engage with the game once you've reached your destination and fight your way back to the safety of settlements, or hearthstone out if you're in a hurry. Thoughts?

(I already posted this on reddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/20j60b/i_want_61_to_add_flight_platforms/ and it was generating good discussion, so I thought I'd repost to the official forums as well.)

EDIT TO ADD: There's been some good discussion over on the Reddit thread. For example, what happens if you fly up somewhere that's hard to get back down from, like the top of the Dark Portal? One idea I like would be to have flying mounts grant you the Slow Fall buff if you're mounted while unable to fly. Anyway, please continue to discuss this in either location!
Edited by Apocrypha on 3/16/2014 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Or, y'know, we could fly when we're out of combat. Just a thought...

Excuse my sarcasm, your idea isn't terrible.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Hmm, not necessarily a bad idea.

The problem I've noticed is that the people who want no flight are also trying to come to the "negotiation" table and think of creative ways to make flight less attractive without removing it from the game. On the flip-side, the people who do want flight aren't. They want unfettered, absolute freedom of flight with zero drawbacks whatsoever.

Your idea, like others to make flying more difficult, including long cast times, enemies in the air, slowing them down, AA batteries, etc, are what I'd like to see. But from what I've seen from the devs and the pro-flight crowd, this is only a black and white controversy. That saddens me. It reminds me of congress.

Unfettered flight or no flight at all... there is no exception!!!

:(
Edited by Theresá on 3/15/2014 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I actually think your idea is inspired genius. No jokes.

It's a compromise between flying and no flying.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
03/15/2014 11:35 PMPosted by Theresá
AA batteries
lol.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I want people to stop making threads about flight in WoD, but we can not always get what we want.
Edited by Rescue on 3/15/2014 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
03/15/2014 11:42 PMPosted by Rescue
I want people to stop making threads about flight in WoD, but we can not always get what we want.

It's the worst paradox, right? If you make a thread to ask people to stop making threads about flying, you've now added one more thread about flying. I understand your pain, but I'm not about to fall into the trap of mentioning which topics I personally think are getting too much air time.
Reply Quote
60 Human Hunter
I think that's a pretty cool idea. It will also bring some awesome PVP because it will be a designated hot spot.

I like ;)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
And then when people get trapped/stuck in areas the can fly in but can't fly out of...
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
03/16/2014 12:46 AMPosted by Verma
And then when people get trapped/stuck in areas the can fly in but can't fly out of...

That's the point. You'll never be able to just fly off from any location. You would only be able to take off from the special airport/launch site locations.

I like the idea.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I would like to add an idea to this, and that is make it so you must find the platform before being able to use it ( just like how flight paths work ).
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Druid
Posted by Theresá
AA batteries

lol.

I think he means Anti aircraft, not batteries for appliances
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
03/16/2014 12:56 AMPosted by Ellrond
03/16/2014 12:46 AMPosted by Verma

That's the point. You'll never be able to just fly off from any location. You would only be able to take off from the special airport/launch site locations.

I like the idea.

So you should be forced to hearth because you landed in an area to pick a herb you then couldn't get out of?
Reply Quote
I'd have zero issues with AA.
Or even hostile flying units.

The former was even done in BC, up in the Blade's edge mountains if anyone cares to remember that far.

The demons were set up with cannons that'd shoot your !@# right out of the sky if you flew overhead.

And we all know the Cities have aerial guards, just have similar units elsewhere...maybe make it so we have to establish Air Superiority for our respective factions before we're allowed to fly in a zone. (perhaps a daily pvp even even?)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
How about mounts get tired... With a global exhaustion between all mounts at your disposal. Simple and plausible! Don't like my idea either?
Gtfoff the bandwagon of "needing" flight. thus ruining your own experience at seeing WoW for what it really is and not 100 feet in the air at almost every given moment.
Edited by Jiali on 3/16/2014 1:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
03/16/2014 12:59 AMPosted by Verma
03/16/2014 12:56 AMPosted by Ellrond

I like the idea.

So you should be forced to hearth because you landed in an area to pick a herb you then couldn't get out of?

There are a lot of ways problems like this could be minimized, but in any case people would learn pretty quickly which parts of the map to avoid. And if they land in the wrong spot they can hearth out.

In any case if the zones are designed to be accessible by ground mount why should this be a problem?
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
03/16/2014 12:57 AMPosted by Kluny
I would like to add an idea to this, and that is make it so you must find the platform before being able to use it ( just like how flight paths work ).

/slaps you

NO! THAT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE AND IS TOO OBVIOUS!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]