Option to disable Battle.net launcher for WoW

100 Tauren Hunter
03/14/2014 01:11 PMPosted by Huggywuggles
Let me make this clear, Bashiok. I'm 'old school'. If I want to click on my WoW icon and have it directly open my game, I should have THAT option. If I want to use your crappy little WoW app/launcher thing, I should have that option.

The fact that YOU think I need MY desktop 'cleaned up' or I can't keep it organized is pretty damned infuriating and condescending, quite frankly.

I don't give a flying FLIP if I can change settings in the options menu. The fact that Blizzard thinks I apparently need to be babysat is somewhat on the order of a metric ton of orc waste.

Because every other MMO gives you the option to how you launch your game?

I like you, Huggy, but I'm not sure I can agree with you here.
Edited by Bullderp on 3/14/2014 1:51 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Warlock
03/14/2014 11:34 AMPosted by Kèltor
Another reason why the WoW community SUCKS! compared to 7 years ago.... I love the launcher! ITS GREAT! No typing or doing the authenticator.... Typical WAHbaby don't change anything attitude! So tired of it! Sometimes change is good, try it sometime! Stop being so negative people!

You know, your attitude is the bad one. I had problems with the launcher this week and had to completely uninstall wow and the launcher to get things to work right. It's good to know that if I have these issues I can launch the game without using the battlenet app.
Before you go pointing fingers calling others crybabies, and saying how the community sucks, TAKE A LONG LOOK IN THE MIRROR BUD.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
03/14/2014 12:19 PMPosted by Kèltor
03/14/2014 12:09 PMPosted by Tamp

Calling BS, I'm sorry. There's NO WAY you can type out an entire password in one second, it just isn't happening.

My password is i1234 can you do that in 1 second?

I can. I am a touch typist I don't even need to look at the keyboard when typing. I learned on the old ibm typewriters in high school.
100 Human Mage
03/14/2014 01:27 PMPosted by Dangitsmcg
Felt less secure to me as well, and uncomfortable to me to have running. Was so happy once I uninstalled it. The Battle.net Launcher wasn't a very good idea.

The first thing i do when i break into someone's house is to check if they have a computer with WoW on it.

Why bother hacking and getting a keylogger on some helpless victim's computer (Which btw, you cant keylog something that bypass the login screen, definitely less secure) when i can just break into a random guy house and hope they have the launcher with wow installed.

Seriously. That's what you guys are afraid of right now.
03/14/2014 02:00 PMPosted by Siku

No, that's what I'm afraid of right now :

03/14/2014 01:38 PMPosted by Jenha
As I said earlier, chances are pretty much nonexistent that someone would actually break in to my place to log on to WoW, but still, I sometimes let my friend's children play on my pc, and I wouldn't want them to mess around in my WoW account.
03/14/2014 02:00 PMPosted by Siku

I'm not afraid of anything except the inability to play games when the bnet app is not working properly.
100 Draenei Death Knight
That's why Microsoft lets you create different "user" accounts for individual users. Do you really think the Battle.Net launcher stores your information in a location that other local users have access to?

If your friends children want to play on your PC, create a guest windows account and log into that to let them play. The Battle.Net launcher won't remember your credentials on that other account. You can configure windows to require a password after the screen saver comes up too.

Seriously, the Battle.Net desktop app is the most secure method for logging into wow, especially when looking at the real world statistics of accounts that get hacked. The vast majority of hacked accounts result from keyloggers installed on the local system.
90 Human Priest
03/14/2014 11:18 AMPosted by Maljinwo
It's kinda like Steam with Blizzard on it. Add a chat to talk with friends without having to enter a game and it's a wrap

This. I like it, I can see what games my friends are playing prior to joining WoW. If a bud is on D3, I can hop on it and join him without logging in WoW and going : "Oh hold on, switching games".

It is lacking a chat function.

My biggest gripe / complaint / annoyance , even though I do like the extra security on my account, is the increased frequency at which my authenticator code is required.

Launch battle.net, please provide the key. Go on WoW, go afk to make supper, come back disconnected. Relog, authenticator. Go on my account 10 min later to add game time, authenticator.

I use to be able to go a few days without needing it. Now I need it on me at all times.
Blizzard Employee
The fact that YOU think I need MY desktop 'cleaned up' or I can't keep it organized is pretty damned infuriating and condescending, quite frankly.

I don't personally care what your desktop looks like or how many icons you have on it, or if you're able or not able to keep track of them; but icons on your desktop has little-to-nothing to do with offering a unified launcher platform. You can have the Battle.net app create a desktop icon for each game still, if that's what you want to click on.

Right now each of our games is started through a launcher. The launchers help ensure games are up to date, offer functionality to launch other versions (beta/PTR/etc.), has some file management tools (repair), provide quick links to helpful resources (support), and helps bring info front and center when starting a game like patch notes, game info, news, etc.

Instead of having separate launchers for each game, which are individually updated and maintained, and each of which also likely having different requirements and specifics for how it works and operates, it makes a lot of sense for us to have a single platform (e.g. launcher) that brings all the games together under a single roof, streamlines our platforms, and provides a single launcher--instead of many of them--to provide the same features those launchers always have, plus more, and additional flexibility to add features into the future.

If you're launching Blizzard games now, it's quite likely you're seeing a launcher, and that's not really any different than seeing the Battle.net desktop app "launcher".
Edited by Bashiok on 3/14/2014 2:29 PM PDT
90 Undead Warlock
What the heck ever happened to just double clicking the executable and running the game.

That doesn't need "improving."
90 Undead Warlock
03/14/2014 02:26 PMPosted by Bashiok

I don't personally care what your desktop looks like or how many icons you have on it, or if you're able or not able to keep track of them; but icons on your desktop has little-to-nothing to do with offering a unified launcher platform. You can have the Battle.net app create a desktop icon for each game still, if that's what you want to click on.

Right now each of our games is started through a launcher. The launchers help ensure games are up to date, offers functionality to launch other versions (beta/PTR/etc.), has some file management tools, and helps bring info front and center when starting a game, like patch notes, game info, news, etc.

Instead of having separate launchers for each game, which are individually updated and maintained, each of which also likely having different requirements and specifics for how it works and operates, it makes a lot of sense for us to have a single platform (e.g. launcher) that brings all the games together under a single roof, streamlines our platforms, and provides (we hope) a single launcher--instead of many of them--to provide the same features those launchers always have, plus flexibility to add features into the future.

If you're launching Blizzard games now, it's quite likely you're seeing a launcher, and that's not really any different than seeing the Battle.net desktop app "launcher".

Make it optional and we're good here.
100 Blood Elf Priest
I had to uninstall it. It kept crashing my computer. I just went into my programs list and clicked uninstall.
100 Tauren Hunter
03/14/2014 02:28 PMPosted by Gilloch

But why? Why have an optional means to launch a game when other MMOs have no option period?

And did you not read what he said? You can make a separate icon for each game from the launcher onto your desktop if you so choose. Problem solved.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

Right now each of our games is started through a launcher. The launchers help ensure games are up to date, offers functionality to launch other versions (beta/PTR/etc.), has some file management tools, and helps bring info front and center when starting a game, like patch notes, game info, news, etc.

Instead of having separate launchers for each game, which are individually updated and maintained, each of which also likely having different requirements and specifics for how it works and operates, it makes a lot of sense for us to have a single platform (e.g. launcher) that brings all the games together under a single roof, streamlines our platforms, and provides (we hope) a single launcher--instead of many of them--to provide the same features those launchers always have, plus flexibility to add features into the future.

Did you even read what he posted? He just said it's easier to develop 1 launcher instead of 5 - so that's what they're going to do.
90 Pandaren Monk
I like it.
90 Undead Warlock
03/14/2014 02:34 PMPosted by Isolostuff

Did you even read what he posted? He just said it's easier to develop 1 launcher instead of 5 - so that's what they're going to do.

The game is not dependent on the launcher to run.
90 Dwarf Paladin
You can still manually go into the installation folder and double-click the WoW.exe to launch the game directly. However, don't be surprised on a patch day when you get booted back out because your stuff isn't up-to-date.
03/14/2014 02:26 PMPosted by Bashiok

Right now each of our games is started through a launcher. The launchers help ensure games are up to date, offer functionality to launch other versions (beta/PTR/etc.), has some file management tools (repair), provide quick links to helpful resources (support), and helps bring info front and center when starting a game like patch notes, game info, news, etc.

Instead of having separate launchers for each game, which are individually updated and maintained, and each of which also likely having different requirements and specifics for how it works and operates, it makes a lot of sense for us to have a single platform (e.g. launcher) that brings all the games together under a single roof, streamlines our platforms, and provides a single launcher--instead of many of them--to provide the same features those launchers always have, plus more, and additional flexibility to add features into the future.

*claps*
Blizzard Employee
03/14/2014 02:27 PMPosted by Gilloch
What the heck ever happened to just double clicking the executable and running the game.

Online games, like World of Warcraft, usually require that everyone playing use the same files and file versions to ensure content parity. If you and I are playing and the information we each hold about the game differs, it becomes exceedingly difficult for the server to reconcile how those differences play out and also how the client perceives those differences. Everyone needs to be playing the same game, essentially. To help try to make that process smoother, a launcher that starts up before the game checks file versions when starting the game. If your files are not current a patch is downloaded and installed. Additionally, we've added functionality for the launcher to download future patch data ahead of time to reduce the time required on patch day to get into the game, as well as the ability to stream game data so that the entire game doesn't need to be downloaded for new players, or those just reinstalling.

World of Warcraft has had a launcher for the purposes of file version verification since at least 2003. The Battle.net desktop app is, for the purposes of this discussion, an updated launcher.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/14/2014 2:46 PM PDT
90 Undead Warlock
03/14/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Bashiok
03/14/2014 02:27 PMPosted by Gilloch

Online games, like World of Warcraft, usually require that everyone playing use the same files and file versions to ensure content parity. If you and I are playing and the information we each hold about the game differs, it becomes exceedingly difficult for the server to reconcile how those differences play out and also how the client perceives those differences. Everyone needs to be playing the same game, essentially. To help try to make that process smoother, a launcher that starts up before the game checks file versions when starting the game. If your files are not current a patch is downloaded and installed. Additionally, we've added functionality for the launcher to download future patch data ahead of time to reduce the time required on patch day to get into the game, as well as the ability to stream game data so that the entire game doesn't need to be downloaded for new players, or those just reinstalling.

World of Warcraft has had a launcher for the purposes of file version verification since at least 2003. The Battle.net desktop app is, for the purposes of this discussion, an updated launcher.

Absolutely, I agree. Maybe the option to run the launcher when a patch is needed would be nice.

Also, it strikes me as more of a monetization tool than anything else.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]