Why the hybrid tax system is flawed

85 Blood Elf Mage
LET THE DEAD HORSE REST IN PEACE!
Reply Quote
The idea that a player can respec to fill another role may be technically true but it omits the fact that the player may not want to fill another role.

They don't care if you want to fill that role or not. The point is you have the option to.
Reply Quote
82 Troll Mage
Getting angry about the "hybrid tax" is like getting angry about "unicorns." Neither of them really exists.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
there isn't a hybrid tax, that's why 5+ hybrid specs are above several lock and rogue specs.

give it up.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Hybrid tax never existed in wrath. Hybrids were consistently out dpsing pures in all tiers besides Ulduar.(Although feral was strong)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
I think you're overestimating what the tax is supposed to do anyway :\
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Rogue
If you are tired of these threads, feel free to dislike the OP's post.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
The hybrid tax is flawed because a design goal that would vary damage dealing classes by 5% intentionally is completely behond the abilities of a development team that can't balance us within 10,000 DPS of one another. It's like handing a gorilla a sketch pad and a handful of charcoals and telling it to, you know, just leave off the little crow's feet and laugh lines.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
If you are tired of these threads, feel free to dislike the OP's post.

I really wish more people would make use of this option.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
LET THE DEAD HORSE REST IN PEACE!

That sticky wasn't restickied.

You need to think of that as GC's quiet way of saying the hybrid tax no longer applies.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Someone's about to get buried.

None of them were.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Someone's about to get buried.

None of them were.

None of them were as controversial as the "hybrid tax" sticky. The other stickies were thing like "Don't fish for blue posts" and "Don't just make posts that link to things" and also class preview stuff.

Most of the stickies were put into the code of conduct, or else are posted about through dev blogs.

Until I see a dev blog saying that they still design class balance with the hybrid tax, I will consider it gone.
Edited by Matuk on 12/3/2010 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
FOR ... THE ... LOVE ... OF ... ALL ... THINGS ... UNHOLY ... LET ... THIS ... DEAD ... HORSE ... DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no hybrid tax. There has been no hybrid tax. And there will never be a hybrid tax.
Now stfu, and play the game.

Selling all my stock in glue manufacturers. Reason: Because everyone wants to just beat the horse rather than let it be turned into glue.
Reply Quote
82 Troll Druid
I think posting another Hybrid-Tax thread, especially when shown to have a lack of understanding as to what the hybrid-tax was (yes, was), should be an insta-ban, like posting pr0n or key-lumberjacks.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
What is a hybrid tax? Why is there a hybrid tax?

I'm going to sticky this since it gets brought up more than almost any other topic.

We only recognize two types of classes for PvE purposes:

Can respec to fulfill a different role = hybrid.
Cannot respec to fulfill a different role = pure.

The reason we want pures to so slightly higher damage is that pures can only fulfill one role. If your guild or raid has no more need for damage-dealers, there is no way for these classes to raid with you. By contrast, the six other classes always have the option to respec for another role either temporarily or for the long haul.

The idea that a player can respec to fill another role may be technically true but it omits the fact that the player may not want to fill another role.

I play an enhancement shaman because I like the style of DPS. I always liked the melee character that mixes metal and magic. I like to get in your face and beat on you while enhancing my abilities with magic. It’s just what I like.

If I wanted to heal or play a ranged caster and kite the enemy I would be spec’d differently.

A DPS tree is a DPS tree. It should do competitive DPS or it is a gimp class. Your current system has created a whole group of second class characters. (i.e. DPS classes that are not very good at their role.) Who wants to play an underpowered DPS character? I don’t. Do you?

So by making the Hybrids do lower dps, you are forcing them to respec into a class they might not want to play. All you have done is move the re-rolling from one player to another. I have not found another DPS class I enjoy playing. I would rather quit the game than respec.

I say, make all DPS specs competitive. Let the raid rotate their DPS if they have too many of them. Give everyone an equal chance to enjoy the game in the spec they like playing.

It is Blizzards current policy that Hybrids should respec if there are too many DPS in your raid. It is not only unfair that I have to give up my enjoyment of the game to raid, but I will not do it.

If push came to shove, all hybrids would respec to a tree their raid needed to ensure their spot on the raid team. They'd switch to a tanking, healing or possibly from melee to ranged DPS.

Rogues, Mages, Warlocks and Hunters do not have that luxury.

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
WTB a moderator, this guy needs a ban.

Dead horses are dead.
Reply Quote
What is a hybrid tax? Why is there a hybrid tax?

I'm going to sticky this since it gets brought up more than almost any other topic.

We only recognize two types of classes for PvE purposes:

Can respec to fulfill a different role = hybrid.
Cannot respec to fulfill a different role = pure.

The reason we want pures to so slightly higher damage is that pures can only fulfill one role. If your guild or raid has no more need for damage-dealers, there is no way for these classes to raid with you. By contrast, the six other classes always have the option to respec for another role either temporarily or for the long haul.

I play an enhancement shaman because I like the style of DPS. I always liked the melee character that mixes metal and magic. I like to get in your face and beat on you while enhancing my abilities with magic. It’s just what I like.

If I wanted to heal or play a ranged caster and kite the enemy I would be spec’d differently.

A DPS tree is a DPS tree. It should do competitive DPS or it is a gimp class. Your current system has created a whole group of second class characters. (i.e. DPS classes that are not very good at their role.) Who wants to play an underpowered DPS character? I don’t. Do you?

So by making the Hybrids do lower dps, you are forcing them to respec into a class they might not want to play. All you have done is move the re-rolling from one player to another. I have not found another DPS class I enjoy playing. I would rather quit the game than respec.

I say, make all DPS specs competitive. Let the raid rotate their DPS if they have too many of them. Give everyone an equal chance to enjoy the game in the spec they like playing.

It is Blizzards current policy that Hybrids should respec if there are too many DPS in your raid. It is not only unfair that I have to give up my enjoyment of the game to raid, but I will not do it.

Your assuming that hybrids aren't competitive DPS and that is where your logic is flawed. You are also assuming that it is impossible for you to top meters on bosses, or that you will be so low on the meters that you will be useless.

The truth of the matter is that you can down any boss any time without any pure DPS and using just hybrids, because the slight difference in DPS is not what the bosses are balanced around.

Your logic is flawed because you are greedy, you have some need to top DPS meters instead of being #2 or #3 or w/e and you won't be happy unless you are #1. Reality is that if you want to be #1 you need to be a pure DPS, if not you need to be happy that you CAN DPS as a hybrid, while being competitive at it, and that the boss WILL die.

Your logic is flawed because you think that anything except the boss dying matters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]