Why the hybrid tax system is flawed

90 Draenei Hunter
Someone's about to get buried.

That sticky wasn't restickied.

None of them were.

None of them were as controversial as the "hybrid tax" sticky.

A true, but separate fact.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Rogues, Mages, Warlocks and Hunters do not have that luxury.

I actually consider it a luxury that they will never have to be asked to play their character differently from the way they want to.

e.g. I don't want to heal. Ever. But I have been subtly pushed and shoved by people to try and build up a set of healing gear, in case *they* want me to heal.

Sorry, but I play my character my way.

Someone's about to get buried.

That sticky wasn't restickied.

None of them were.

None of them were as controversial as the "hybrid tax" sticky.

A true, but separate fact.

Let me re-iterate my edited post for you, but this time simply prove you wrong:

They technically were re-stickied. Go back to http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=13395581&sid=1

That's the old DDF. Look at what the stickies are.

Now go to the Code of Conduct for the new forums. Now look at the dev blogs, and the other kind of "news" posts that we get.

Only one of the stickied subjects is actually unaccounted for: hybrid tax.
Edited by Matuk on 12/3/2010 12:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
As I stated previously ... the Hybrid tax doesn't exist. It never has and never will.

Even if the damn thing was on these forums, it still wouldn't exist. It didn't exist when it was on the old forums and it sure as hell won't exist in the future. No one is forcing you to do anything in this game. If you don't want to heal, don't friggin' heal. If you want to DPS, then DPS!

Surely you have enough will-power to tell complete strangers that you're DPS and only DPS, don't you? If they get butt-hurt because of this, then they're not worth gaming with. Time for a change in scenery if you ask me.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
As I stated previously ... the Hybrid tax doesn't exist. It never has and never will.

Even if the damn thing was on these forums, it still wouldn't exist. It didn't exist when it was on the old forums and it sure as hell won't exist in the future. No one is forcing you to do anything in this game. If you don't want to heal, don't friggin' heal. If you want to DPS, then DPS!

Surely you have enough will-power to tell complete strangers that you're DPS and only DPS, don't you? If they get butt-hurt because of this, then they're not worth gaming with. Time for a change in scenery if you ask me.

You took that one sentence out of context, and ignored the actual POINT of that line.

You're weird.
Edited by Matuk on 12/3/2010 12:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
The "reason" that the hybrid tax system is flawed is because it was never implemented, no one ever had to pay a price for their class being orders of magnitude stronger than others, or having a plethora of additional benefits.

That is the flaw in the "hybrid tax" system, that it was never enforced, that one spec should = one entire class in value is a major imbalance.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I actually consider it a luxury that they will never have to be asked to play their character differently from the way they want to.

e.g. I don't want to heal. Ever. But I have been subtly pushed and shoved by people to try and build up a set of healing gear, in case *they* want me to heal.

Sorry, but I play my character my way.

Just because you unwisely do not take advantage of all three trees your spec has to offer doesn't mean others don't. And frankly, having to say 'no, I don't heal' is not difficult, nor stressful to any meaningful level.
Edited by Tyiako on 12/3/2010 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
The hybrid tax is not a penalty you pay for switching to another role. You don't get to skip it if you promise to only spec DPS. It's not there to punish you in raids or reward anyone else.

The hybrid tax is a bribe. It's a trick. It's the developers telling pure DPS players "Look, guys, we know that six of the other nine classes have two, three, or even four times the playstyle options you do. But you're supposed to do a tiny bit more dps! Please don't reroll!"

It has nothing to do with hybrids or your dps. It's a small bonus pures get to keep them playing their limited class instead of switching to a far-superior hybrid that is essentially several characters in one. Level a rogue? Ok, you're melee dps. Level a druid? Ok, you're melee dps, and/or caster dps, and/or a tank, and/or a healer. Yeah, it takes more work to learn and gear all those roles. That's more things to do in the game, more options on your main character, more flexibility, and an easier time finding groups and getting achievements. While the guy who leveled the druid is working on his offspec tanking set, the rogue is logging out to go watch TV since there's nothing he can do in the game until the raid lockouts reset.

The developers have explained before that they believe pure classes would gradually disappear from the game if there wasn't a compelling reason to play them. It was in the old sticky thread, go look it up. They've decided that a tiny, minuscule bonus in dps is enough. A bonus that's usually swallowed up by small differences in gear, fight mechanics, raid buffs, or any number of reasons.

The hybrid tax is a psychological trick to keep pure players on their pures, while the hybrids get handed the world around them.

Pure population numbers have declined dramatically since the developers implemented a "no spec left behind" balancing system that aims to make every tree of every class viable. Yeah, there will always be a few clueless newbies or stubborn holdouts playing their gimpy pures, but there sure as hell wouldn't be many of them if the developers didn't at least pretend there was a reason to play a pure over a hybrid.

If you think a certain class is way below where it should be, then come out and ask what you're really wanting to ask. If shaman DPS is way too low, then say "Shaman DPS is too low." Don't mask it behind some "Hybrid tax is keepin us down!" nonsense.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
Notice how the Hybrid Tax sticky died with the old forum, until it is actually brought up again we can assume it is gone. We are now working under the assumption that in Cataclysm Hybrid tax no longer exists.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
Notice how the Hybrid Tax sticky died with the old forum, until it is actually brought up again we can assume it is gone. We are now working under the assumption that in Cataclysm Hybrid tax no longer exists.

All the stickies are gone, buddy. Trying to infer design decisions from what did or didn't survive the forum transition is foolish.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Hybrid tax died with the new forums. See: No hybrid tax sticky.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Hybrid tax died with the new forums. See: No hybrid tax sticky.

Secondwind, please tell me you're trolling. -.-
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
I thought that the reason they didn't repost it is because it didn't seem to change anything anyway.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
The only real argument against the hybrid tax is, and always has been "But I want to have my cake and eat it too." All the other points of view hybrids express is just pointless bargaining. "Can I have my cake if I promise not to eat it all the time?" and what not.

Luckily for the rest of us, the developers know that pures absolutely need a reason to play a pure nowadays. The benefits of switching to a hybrid is a long, long list, and the benefits of playing a pure is exactly one item: A small, hypothetical DPS bonus that is more often than not swallowed up by dozens of other factors.

You're already kind of an idiot if you play a pure. Removing the "pure bonus" is just going to make it that much more obvious.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

The hybrid tax is a psychological trick to keep pure players on their pures, while the hybrids get handed the world around them.

What a moronic point of view. Hybrids will always have higher population numbers because they attract players from all demographics. Players who want to heal, players who want to tank, players who want to dps, and of course players who want to be a jack of all trades are all drawn to hybrid classes. However, that doesn't mean that a hybrid class is the better option for the person who wants to dps. Pures generally have more dps options and they are less likely to become non viable as dps if their spec gets nerfed since they can respec to another dps spec. A hybrid would often have to change to a new role (which isn't desirable for a player who wants to dps) or continue playing a weak spec. Pures generally get the better CC options as well.

Discuss population numbers all you want, but for a player who only wants to dps, a pure class is a very compelling option.

lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]