Time to thicken your skin.

85 Blood Elf Priest
I love that 5 mans will be more challenging. I alway role healers I love healing, but I don't really enjoy being an OP healer and letting all 4 people tank their own mob, while keeping them all over 80% and never running out of mana.

I dread the greif from DPSers who die because they are slow to learn or just don't care or whatever. It bothers me when I let someome die ,even if it's not my fault. I can already hear it " do have healing spells" from the warlock out of LoS smacking an elite mob with his staff.

In time we may see an end to that BS. I like the changes, I'm just a little stressed because It sucks to hear it and we all know we are going to take the heat for awile.

Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
The above is an excellent post that really deserves more attention, imho. You're right: people are spoiled on Wrath content and being overgeared for heroics, and they are in for a rude awakening when Cataclysm comes and they have to start worrying about taking less damage and CCing.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I will happily tell folks to go screw themselves.

Happily.

I just hope the cross-realm ignore is fixed soon.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I, too, welcome the changes. Indeed, my biggest fear is that I'll feel like Blizz didn't go far enough back towards the pre-Wrath style of play.

I plan to handle the adjustment period by not using LFD for awhile unless I have at least 2 guildies with me. That ups the odds of good play and good company significantly and gives us the ability to boot the rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.

I'll stick with a group through interminable wipes if the attitude is good, but I have a zero tolerance policy for bad social behavior, whether it's directed at me or not.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
It could also go the other way, where all this hype about harder healing and dps taking responsibility of their health ends up being not that big a deal.

Then we'll see posts like "LOL healing was supposed to be hard?"
Reply Quote
92 Human Warlock
It could also go the other way, where all this hype about harder healing and dps taking responsibility of their health ends up being not that big a deal.

Then we'll see posts like "LOL healing was supposed to be hard?"
^ where I'm placing my bet.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
This is a LOT of worry over nothing. The days of healer abuse are over. Very few fights and even trash have their outcome be determined by the healer. Hell, there were a few fights thats I don't think I even really healed on. The one with the beams being a prime example. I see the abuse going on for like maybe a day tops, then it'll sink in fast how things will need to be run...
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Priest
I grew up in Vanilla, so the changes are like homecoming for me. Once upon a time, my ability to practically never run out of mana was a pretty big candle on my cake.

I've been trying all the healers on a new server, and I gotta tell ya, it's not so much homecoming, as finding out you were adopted. I remember when mana breaks were part and parcel, when learning to speed pull something was a group effort with planning and forethought. Now, everyone expects everything to be a speed run. I even had to growl at MY HUSBAND, once. This man who should KNOW BETTER, right? Nope.

It's a new world, and only the healers realize it, so far.

But what are you gonna do? You're a HEALER, by god, you've never asked anyone for anything, and you sure as hell aren't gonna start now! So You pick up, you loot the last group in between heals on the next, you find a hotkey somewhere for your water of the moment and stare at it, waiting until the instant you drop combat. You start to calculate exactly how low you can let the tank get before your run time + cast time will be too late. You watch the shaman pull the next group while you're rezzing the mage, and promise yourself it will get better.

Will it actually get better? Iunno. I'll keep you posted on my LFD progress. But I can tell you I'm already getting more and more unwilling to heal for any group I don't know personally. That's how it was, before, too.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Eh, I'm sure the tanks are getting the same treatment.

Come to think of it, I KNOW they are.

Just find some tanks to instance with. Someone chews one or the other of you out, both drop group. Go quest for half an hour, que up again. You'll both be better off that way.

Seriously, when explaining how agro is going to take DPS doing their part to handle, I actually had a DK say he didn't need to worry about it, cause he does amazing damage, even continuing to do damage after he's dead. When pressed, he said that damage was from worms doing about 1k/sec for 30 secs after he died.

...I pointed out that boss fights are going to last 2-5 minutes in Cata. ^_^; But...seriously. He was trying to make the argument he didn't need to manage his agro BECAUSE HE'D DO DPS WHILE DEAD.

Yes. That was his argument. That if he died, it didn't matter, cause he'd still be DPSing. <_<

...maybe questing/guild only dungeons isn't such a bad idea for the first couple weeks/month or two... <_<
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
My guess is if things are actually hard at all, they will all be nerfed back to WOTLK levels by the end of the first tier of raiding at the latest to stem the flood of bad players quitting.

Either that, or they'll make arena give free gear again instead of heroics so the people that screwed around in arena a few times a week for epics in BC will go back to doing that. That would be what I hope for. We need some venue for really bad players or else things will be nerfed, hard.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I'll go about healing as usual.

Its going to be the responsibility of the tank and dps to not pull too much and to CC accordingly (of course I'll help however I can with that).

However, if they pull too much or the DPS can't CC and begin to blame me for burning through mana to keep them alive... I'll just pretend to not speak english and if they boot me then I will just re-queue and hope for a better group.

People who blame healers tend to also be the people that nobody wants to heal for, these groups will boot their healer and will end up wiping again and again. The sad thing is, they'll never understand why they can't find a "good healer".

"Je ne parles anglais, peut tu expliques en francais svp?" ^_~
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I would assume that any healer with 25man HM experience in wotlk will be able to carry a subpar reg 5man group by themselves, barring complete incompetence by the entire rest of the group. People pulling extra packs and getting agro off the tank isn't much different then healing a 25hm encounter that's executed properly.

Heroics will be a different story at first, as there are some pretty unhealable things that can happen if things don't go right. But the unhealable will become faceroll due to overgearing or nerfing soon enough. And at the end of the day, healers will be the dominant factor for win/loss in a 5man that is anything above a faceroll.

Yeah we'll get the heat if things go wrong. But we get to queue up knowing it'll be up to us to make the difference b/t success and failure while players of other roles will have to rely on someone else.
Edited by Nyquil on 12/4/2010 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/04/2010 12:10 PMPosted by Nyquil
I would assume that any healer with 25man HM experience in wotlk will be able to carry a subpar reg 5man group by themselves, barring complete incompetence by the entire rest of the group. People pulling extra packs and getting agro off the tank isn't much different then healing a 25hm encounter that's executed properly.

Heroics will be a different story at first, as there are some pretty unhealable things that can happen if things don't go right. But the unhealable will become faceroll due to overgearing or nerfing soon enough. And at the end of the day, healers will be the dominant factor for win/loss in a 5man that is anything above a faceroll.

Yeah we'll get the heat if things go wrong. But we get to queue up knowing it'll be up to us to make the difference b/t success and failure while players of other roles will have to rely on someone else.

if blizzard does things right usage of mechanics brought on by dps can actually make a difference. Things like kick, counterspell, and all forms of cc should make for smoother and faster runs in a perfect world. I hope it is not just one big faceroll!

Also yay for working avatars.

-Moon Priestess Alessandra
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I want 5 man mobs to oneshot everything that is not a tank. I cannot be blamed for a oneshot death. Two shots would be acceptable on plate dps. I'm tired of getting the "privilege" of healing guildmate dps in heroics who are capable of 10k+ self-buffed dps, and naturally never have omen installed. Nor do they care when they pull off a tank because I "can" heal them. I'm tired of letting sloppy bads be bad, but what choice do I have when game mechanics allow a mage with overgeared heals to tank heroics?

I want Blizzard to punish dps for being bad, instead of punishing ME for dps being bad.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Priest
umm..stop doing heroics?
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
12/03/2010 12:05 PMPosted by Jamö
In time we may see an end to that BS.

Healers were blamed for wipes in Vanilla, BC, and Wrath, why does anyone think this is going to change?

Ever?

A healer's job is to keep health bars up. When health bars go down and people die healers get blamed. Whether or not it's the healer's fault has rarely, if ever, played a role in that and nothing about Cata is going to make that better -- quite the opposite.

Smart healers are going to do what smart healers used to have to do if we wanted to get anywhere at all -- which is to find a decent tank and glue yourself to their hip, thus leaving the LFD and general PuG population healer free and tankless. Likely that is going to cause a heretofore unimagined level of screaming from the LFDless masses -- Wrath having shown them gay Paris, good luck with getting them back onto the farm, GC (you, and we, have no one to blame but yourself) -- that will rend the heavens, thus causes an inevitable, and probably pretty early, change in direction. Whether that'll be good or bad for healers, only time will tell, but I'm guessing the end to this inevitable hideous mess is going to be a whole lot more self-healing (even more than current) and a whole lot less need for healers in the specific.

That is probably the only way we will ever see a World (of Warcraft) where healers are not nigh unto automatically blamed for just about anything that goes wrong. Can't blame what you don't have or need.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I am so excited! I really hope the 5mans are as challenging as most of us expect. I'd be sad if there was all this hype just for them to rain all over my parade. I think a challenge is what makes a game fun. What's the point of mindlessly slapping buttons? I want to think more, try harder, actually feel like things are difficult! I want to have to prove myself in every run I go on, even if it's just a 5man. That's what I love and I caaaaan't wait :D I know not everyone feels that way though and I wish there was a way for every type of player to get what they want.... but I think Blizz is at least attempting to make everyone happy. That's a start right?!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]