offensive dispels need to be reworked.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I feel that in their current state offensive Dispels are far to powerful and will remain powerful at 85 unless something is changed.
i propose some changes

• a seriously massive mana cost increase

• a 15 sec CD

• Both of these

• and/or the caster has to win a game of peggle on expert before the spell is successfully cast

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
that backlash idea is pretty awesome. imo but they would need to be alot weaker
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I feel that in their current state offensive Dispels are far to powerful and will remain powerful at 85 unless something is changed.
i propose some changes

• a seriously massive mana cost increase

• a 15 sec CD

• Both of these

• and/or the caster has to win a game of peggle on expert before the spell is successfully cast

That will be good if the purge dispells ALL the buffs on the target. People will use it as an offensive cooldown, which is fine imo.

EDIT: Actually, it wouldn't be bad if, for example, shaman purge would be like the old warcraft 3 version (removes all the buffs and slows the target).
Edited by Tatubolita on 12/3/2010 8:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The double costing effect would certainly break the backs of those who misuse it.. like Roghtar pointed out the 1x 2x 4x... system.

-It enforces smart dispelling due to cost
-Punishes misused dispelling/spam dispelling
-Really show who is a good dispeller and who isn't.

This is similiar to Frost PvP before 4.0 hit when it actually required skill to setup.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
You're going to complain so hard when it starts dispelling 3 buffs at 85.

Reply Quote
83 Orc Shaman
Why is enhance being singled out here? And not any other class that can steal it or dispel it? People need to stop crying for nerfs to other classes cause they want to protect there own rear ie wings/freedom.
Edited by Jobee on 12/3/2010 11:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
im sorry since when can people dispel your wolves? thats your CD right?
yeah loosing freedom is w/e its kinda expected.
blizzard being the champions of this game made ALL of my burst damage in wings now... and let me tell you i do about as much pressure as a fresh 80 when i get spam dispelled

and im not trying to just pick on shamans i just figured purge is one of the stronger dispels considering it takes away 2 buffs. and yes i hate mages too but they are crippled by dispels too.

think about it ice barrier and mana shield absorb about 16k together. basically you are doing a 16k hit in one global that is spammable
Edited by Squishmittin on 12/3/2010 11:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
Purge/Dispel/Cleanse are OP. However, Spellsteal is balanced because it only takes one buff at a time.

Sincerely,
Every Mage

P.S. Mage Armor is completely fair and balanced.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
12/03/2010 11:43 PMPosted by Noskillreqd
Purge/Dispel/Cleanse are OP. However, Spellsteal is balanced because it only takes one buff at a time.

Sincerely,
Every Mage

P.S. Mage Armor is completely fair and balanced.

nice spec bro
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
best idea ive read was to give offensive dispels diminishing returns on the chances of landing
Reply Quote
12/03/2010 7:19 PMPosted by Roghtar

What dispels need is opportunity cost and a deterrent to spamming. Some ideas:

Spam deterrent: Mana cost doubles each cast (lasts 5 seconds). This would mean a single though-out dispel would be fine, but spamming your enemy team clean of buffs would oom you in under 15 seconds. Multiplicative cost so it would be 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x mana cost. and so forth.

I really love this idea. It's neat, efficient, and (with the right tooltip) newb friendly in a way that doesn't hurt gameplay.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Either doubling the mana cost of each offensive dispel, as proposed, or adding diminishing returns to the offensive dispel would balance it out, in my opinion.

For the doubling of mana, just use Roghtar's example.

For diminishing returns, the first dispel can purge away 2 magical buffs. The second dispel will remove only 1 magical buff. The third dispel won't remove anything, and the target will become immune to it for a short duration of time.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
People on these forums often suggest slapping a cooldown onto stuff they feel counters them, without considering the consequences of it. A 15 second cooldown on Purge, Spellsteal, Dispel Magic etc effectively turns it into a complete RNG spell. It would be quite ridiculous.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
If dispels get CD's then they need to be smart and prioritize what they dispel. Also all dispel resistance would need to be removed.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
12/04/2010 2:08 AMPosted by Grimmshocker
If dispels get CD's then they need to be smart and prioritize what they dispel. Also all dispel resistance would need to be removed.

This also would need to apply to the cost-doubling idea. There are several posts advocating that as a way to encourage "smart" dispelling, but no one explains how someone who gets lucky and removes a buff that they wanted on the first try is somehow smarter than someone who has to keep using dispel because they are removing the wrong things (like stat buffs).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think this is what would need to happen, but I don't think it actually could. Sometimes I want to remove a HoT first. Sometimes I don't. There's no "priority" that would be satisfactory aside from a dispel system that allowed the caster to click off buffs from a target at the cost of resources, and that would be problematic for a variety of reasons.
Edited by Lorelei on 12/4/2010 2:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
49 Human Warlock
Offensive dispels don't need any work....they just need to do another pass at what buffs you can dispel and what you can't. Making them cost more mana or have a cd is just a real bad idea.

For example, I think removing mage and priest shields is fine since it doesn't take long to reapply. But an important short cd like Divine Protection should be undispellable.

Then you have stuff like Avenging Wrath which is debatable, but in the end I think balanced that it is dispellable. After all, Shaman can purge, but that also negates our biggest buff, Bloodlust. We also get Spiritwalker grace which can easily be negated by wind shear.

There are only 3 classes with easy access dispels, focusing on them is a strategy just like focusing on a healer, or CC'ing them instead.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]