[S16] Updated Ret 3v3 Arena Basics Guide WOD!

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Note: This guide will cover Retribution PvP in the 3v3 bracket during 6.0/s16 and may be updated as the game progresses.

A little about me: I'm an Arena Master Retribution Paladin, currently 2650 experienced. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Avaricex/simple
My Twitch: Twitch.TV/Panache22
I'll be covering: talents/glyphs, basic gameplay, macros, rotation and support as well as some additional information. This guide will have enough information that should get you to know Ret on a 2k~ level.

1.0: Talents
Retribution PvP Talents are really cut and dry, by nature of the current meta, you're almost always going to have the same set up for your talent tree.

The best build right now for most teams is: Long Arm of the Law for the (15) talent. Fist of Justice for the (30) talent, Selfless Healer for the (45) talent, Clemency for the (60) talent, Holy Avenger for the (75) talent and Execution Sentence for the (90) talent. Final Verdict is my personal choice for level 100, as it just does the realest damage.

Now, a small explanation for each.

Level 15 Talent: Long Arm of the Law is a really nice 45% movement speed increase with a duration of 3 attached to your Judgement ability. Since you should be using Judgement on cooldown, you'll have a movement speed increase for a lot of the game!

Level 30 Talent: Retribution is the favorite target for almost any 3v3 team that you queue into. We're easily trainable, and have no passive defense. Fist of Justice is one of the strongest stuns in the game right now, heck, it's one of the strongest CCs.

Level 45 Talent: Selfless Healer is the ONLY real choice that you can take in this talent set. You'll be using Judgement on cooldown for a multiplicity of reasons, not the least of which is the instant cast healing that results from this talent. Sacred Shield is next to useless since Battle Fatigue affects it. Eternal Flame is purgable and affects Word of Glory healing in a slightly negative fashion. More than any reason prior is the iconic Retribution niche of support and offhealing. Selfless healer stacks up to 3 times and increases the effectiveness of Flash of Light on party members by 20% per stack as well as reducing the mana cost and cast time by 35%.

Level 60 Talent: With Ret being as ridiculous as it is in the current meta, Clemency is your best choice. You will be able to do a ridiculous amount of healing and damage, as well as keeping your team offensive with double sacs, bops and freedoms. This is my talent of choice.

Unbreakable Spirit reduces the cooldowns of Divine Shield and Divine Protection, as well as Lay on Hands (though this isn't usable in arena) by 50%. This puts your bubble on a 2.5 Minute Cooldown and your 20/20 or 40% wall on a 30 second cd.

Hand of Purity places a Hand on the Friendly Target, reducing Damage taken by 10% as well as reducing periodic damage by an additional 80%. Fighting a heavy dot team, this is an amazing ability to use on the target upon which is being focused by the death knight, or being malefic grasped upon by the Warlock.

Level 75 Talent: There's only one real choice that a true Retribution Paladin should take! That's Holy Avenger, which is a redesigned Cataclysm Zealotry ability that makes all holy power generating abilities generate 3 Holy Power as well as increases Holy Damage or healing from those abilities by 30%.

This ability will come into play later when I describe basic gameplay, as well as macros.

Level 90 Talent: Execution Sentence is the best choice on this talent tree. Holy Prism is good as well, but Execution Sentence a) does more damage including a DoT with it's own dispell protection. b) It has a longer cooldown, leaving you free to use GCDs for other abilities like healing or damage. Personally, I use this the first thing after I pop wings and tie it into my on-use trinket, using them both together.

Level 100 Talent: Final Verdict vs Empowered Seals vs Seraphim

I personally use Final Verdict. It offers so, so, so much burst and damage, as well as letting you connect while being kited. Seraphim is a HUGE short-term buff but it comes at a cost and rampup. Empowered Seals is something I've not tested much and will add more about soon.
Edited by Kithras on 11/20/2014 2:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
1.1: Glyphs
Retribution Paladin Minor Glyphs are completely useless, so I won't even focus on them. I'm going to post purely about Major Glyphs, which have a key role in affecting your survivability
in an arena environment.
The glyphs I run with baseline are: Glyph of Burden of Guilt, Glyph of Templar's Vedict and Glyph of Word of Glory.

Glyph of Burden of Guilt: Your Judgement hits fill your target with doubt and remorse, reducing movement speed by 50% for 2 seconds.
This allows you to have more uptime on your target, or even to use Judgement to peel. Since you're using the ability on cooldown anyways, why not make it even BETTER?!

Glyph of Templar's Verdict: You take 10% less damage for 6 seconds after dealing damage with Templar's Vedict or Exorcism.
This glyph is our 'passive' damage reduction. Too bad 10% is literally useless. It's one of the most controversial aspects of retribution theorycrafting. Many people advocate for this glyph, to get a 5-10% buff to the mitigation offered.

Glyph of Double Jeopardy: Judging a target increases the damage of your next Judgement by 20% but only if used on a different second target.
Glyph of Word of Glory: Increases your damage by 3% per Holy Power Spent after you cast Word of Glory or Eternal Flame on a friendly target. Lasts 6 seconds.

However, that Glyph is the one I substitute out for Glyph of Divine Protection. This Glyph allows you to make your Divine ability a 20% Physical and 20% Magical defensive ability instead of just a 40% magical damage reduction. When fighting a Warrior/Hunter/Feral team, as long as there is no mage, I will always use Glyph of Divine Protection. If there's a caster of any sort, run Double Jeopardy or Word of Glory instead.

Some advice given to me by another well-respected Ret: Glyph of Divine Shield.
Removing harmful effects with Divine Shield heals you for 7% for each effect removed. This effect cannot exceed 35% of your maximum health.

Added in WoD: Glyph of Hand of Freedom: Hand of Freedom immediately reduces the duration of all effects which cause loss of control of a character by 25%. Any effects applied within 4 seconds have 25% reduced duration.
2.0: Basic Gameplay and rotation; Ret's Role in arena.

Retribution Paladins have the iconic arena-support class stereotype. A good Ret Pally player can support his teammate with Offheals, Hand spells and some really insane burst. As I've always said, doing damage on a Ret Pally is amazingly easy, but surviving and maximizing your support while doing the damage is hard!
As a Retribution Paladin player, you need to be able to do three major things: coordinate CC with your team, burst with your hunter after getting trinket, and use Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Protection along with your significant offhealing to counter your enemies burst cooldowns.

2.1: Doing burst damage as a Ret Paladin and macros needed

As soon as something is in CC, pop your wings macro. #Burst.

Your macro for Wings and Holy Avenger is as follows:
#showtooltip Avenging Wrath
/use 13 (or whatever your on use slot may be.)
/cast Holy Avenger
/cast Avenging Wrath
When you have this macro up with 8 stacks of Guardian, you generally should favor your longer CD magic abilities like Hammer of Wrath and Execution Sentence over your melee abilities like Templar's Verdict and Crusader Strike. Personally, I've found that these two spells just do more damage than TV.

Now, before you burst, generally you want some form of Crowd Control (CC) on the healer via yourself or your partners. Depending on the team we face, the team I play with (Ret/Hunter/Healer) will burst first trap, or after healer trinket. If we burst first trap, we intend to get all defenses AND TRINKET with that burst phase and kill 2 minutes later with the second one.
Edited by Kithras on 11/20/2014 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
2.1: SUPPORT PLAY

Retribution Paladins may have one of the top 3 single target bursts in the game but they also have some amazing utility and support. We're a hybrid melee with a very unique gameplay style. We have Hand Spells, a Disease/Poison Cleanse and really good healing.

Let's talk about Hands. Laying your hands all over people is generally frowned upon, but it's okay in arena. Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Freedom and Hand of Protection are your 3 major Hand Spells. You may ONLY have one Hand Spell on a target at any time.

2.1.1: Hand of Sacrifice: places a hand on a Party or Raid member, transferring 30% damage to taken to the Paladin and removing all harmful Magical effects from the target. Lasts 12 seconds, or until the Paladin has transferred 100% of their maximum health. There are three ways to utilize Hand of Sacrifice, commonly called "sac" and pronounced "sack".

The first , and best use of sac, is to dispell your healer out of cc. Magic abilities like Freezing Trap, Polymorph, Fear (of any sort) and stuns like Hammer of Justice are all spells that are dispellable through Hand of Sacrifice. The second use of sac is to stop CC from affecting you. Now, that's something you should -NEVER- do in 3s. I mainly do this in low MMR 2s. However, how you would accomplish this is: if your partner is being trained by a rogue, a mage, or some class where their cc breaks on hit, you can put Hand of Sacrifice up on them so that when they get opened on, the damage transfers to you, breaking you out of sap, blind, or Polymorph. The third use of sac is mainly for Hpallies, you should RARELY EVER use this in 3s as Ret: damage reduction, that 30% damage that's transferred to you.

Edit: I highly recommend saving sacs for PoM polymorphs or to dispell your healer if you or a partner are about to die!

Macro for Hand of Sacrifice:
#showtooltip Hand of Sacrifice
/cast [target=playername] Hand of Sacrifice

The second Hand Spell we're going to talk about is Hand of Protection. Hand of Protection, commonly referred to as BoP, and pronounced 'bop', Places a Hand on a Party or Raid member, protecting them from all physical attacks for 10 seconds, however, they cannot attack or use physical abilities during that time. Bop is on a five minute cooldown and can be offensively purged by Hunters, Priests and Shaman, or mass dispelled by a Priest as well as spellstolen by mages.

There are many ways to utilize this amazing ability. The first that I'll address is in regards to bopping a teammate. Many teams, like RM/X or KFC, TSG, or Turbo will hardswap between a healer and a DPS, or even just train a target into the ground. Depending on what comp and what you're playing with, you may have to bop a hardswap, or just bop your partners to keep them alive. Be careful about overlapping immunities like bop and deterrence or bop and major healing CDs like SLT and GA. It's important that your team is vocal about needing your support skills and when they're popping their own defensive abilities. You can also use bop to clear a friendly target of any physical effects such as Sap, Intimidating Shout, Blind or Warrior/Rogue stuns.

Macro for Hand of Protection (bop):
#showtooltip Hand of Protection
/cast [target=playername] Hand of Protection

2.2: Comps, Counters and mirrors.

Listed in order of viability:
Tier 1:
Ret/Hunter/X - abbreviated PH/X, Ret/Hunter is a highly capable comp that's capable of long cc chains on one target, or shorter, medium duration chains on two targets with amazing burst and decent sustained damage. Also, if you play with a RShaman or Priest, you gain a huge amount of survivability from their major CDs.
Key Aspects of PH/X include:
HoJ/Trapping
BIG BURST DAMAGE
Blinding off traps
Saccing healer out of PoMPoly/traps/fears
Bursting early to create pressure/force cds. (First stun if you have good synergy).
Hunter's Roar of Sacrifice on whomever is being focused.
Ret/Mage/Healer- Will be asking someone else how to play this.
Ret/Dk/Disc-RSham (VanguardsCleave) - Train. The. Healer. Or feral/boomkin.
Ret/Rogue/Healer - Called Ruroh! (think ScoobyDoo), this comp excells at training one target into the ground with very fast kills on squishy classes or healers. See RShaman or Mage? Kill it.

3.0: Notes/Random Information collected from other respected Rets.

Notes from Kained.

Notes from me.

Ret/Dk/Disc is love.
Edited by Kithras on 11/20/2014 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Reserved!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Reserved!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dedications:

Adroit
Goofin
Kid
Kained
Ralx
Okoon
Zunari (miss you a lot man, glad you're doing okay <3)
Sakima
Bigwoof
Shirt
Velca
Edited by Kithras on 11/21/2014 12:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/18/2014 05:16 PMPosted by Kithras
In S15, we are seeing Vanguards and Luminant both go back to using Holy Prism - the reasoning is not certain to me and I will ask one of the two and update it as I figure it out

Holy prism is better for overall DPS, ES is better for burst. Also HP eats grounding from miles away, and its on a short disposable cooldown.
Not really a huge reason why they are using HP.
Edited by Zekerage on 3/19/2014 9:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/19/2014 09:30 PMPosted by Zekerage
03/18/2014 05:16 PMPosted by Kithras
In S15, we are seeing Vanguards and Luminant both go back to using Holy Prism - the reasoning is not certain to me and I will ask one of the two and update it as I figure it out

Holy prism is better for overall DPS, ES is better for burst. Also HP eats grounding from miles away, and its on a short disposable cooldown.

I mean, I've understood that. My games this season have all been so short and burst oriented, I just can't see why. But hm.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Who knows they might have some amazing reason to be using it. But from where Im sitting its still situational.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/19/2014 09:37 PMPosted by Zekerage
Who knows they might have some amazing reason to be using it. But from where Im sitting its still situational.

Yeah, sounds like. I'll ask Lumi maybe.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
hi im 12
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hello, Arena Master Retribution Paladin, having been 2350

I was a 1800 ret like over 6 season ago, can I still call myself 1800 ret even thou there is no chance I will even be 1800 again?
Reply Quote
34 Undead Rogue
well you def wont be 1800 again without the latest expansion.....
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
03/24/2014 08:08 PMPosted by Virgìl
well you def wont be 1800 again without the latest expansion.....

what's the word of the street, did we lose wings?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
03/19/2014 09:33 PMPosted by Kithras
03/19/2014 09:30 PMPosted by Zekerage

I mean, I've understood that. My games this season have all been so short and burst oriented, I just can't see why. But hm.

Execution Sentence is dispellable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That's not why. Lol.

Bump!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
03/25/2014 02:23 AMPosted by Twisteed

Execution Sentence is dispellable.

lol.. but it incurs the wrath of the "Dispell protection!"… lol..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a waste of a dispel and it causes dmg on target. Iunno. I'll try prism when i play tonight.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Up to the top!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/15/2014 04:09 PMPosted by Lovestoned
Up to the top!

<3 much love.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]