what clcRet to use?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi, I just started doing ret at 90. I am using pretty much all timeless gear and was wondering what would be the best priority list to use?

I am currently using:
inq inqes tv3 how cs j exo ss (The sticky on this forum was having me wait until 5 hp for tv, which makes no sense)

Thanks!
Edited by Brawesome on 3/22/2014 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah use tv on 5 holy power .
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
When it says tv5, that does not mean "wait for 5HP before using TV" that is why there is both a tv5 and a tv3 in the string. The string in the sticky is the basically best priority list to use.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Inq > FreeDS(5HP) > TV(5HP) > HoW > FreeDS(AW) > TV(AW) > CS > Judge > FreeDS > Exo > TV(3/4)

is the priority you want.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Exorcism may deal more damage based on your weapon level and mastery. So check that out. I know for challenge modes (463ilvl) Exorcism deals a lot more than crusader strike simply because my mastery and weapon damage is so low.

But once you get a good weapon and mastery it will be CS > judge > exo for your 3 damage abilities.
Edited by Tyler on 3/22/2014 1:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
03/22/2014 12:41 PMPosted by Cayse
When it says tv5, that does not mean "wait for 5HP before using TV" that is why there is both a tv5 and a tv3 in the string. The string in the sticky is the basically best priority list to use.

What does it mean then?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I do not have any set bonuses at moment. So i am using this.

inq inqes tv5 howaw tvaw tv3 how jaw cs j exo
Edited by Meladee on 3/23/2014 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
03/23/2014 09:40 AMPosted by Meladee
I do not have any set bonuses at moment. So i am using this.

Why do you have tv5 on there?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
tv5 means if you have 5 HP it will always tell you to use TV before a generator.

If you have TV3 first, it will tell you to use it any time you're at 3 HP, even if generators are available. That is a dps loss.

03/23/2014 09:40 AMPosted by Meladee

tv3 should not be ahead of generators, and jaw is odd. If it's not better than cs outside of aw, it's not better than cs during it. You can leave in conditionals for things you don't have, you don't need to rewrite a string just because you don't have a set bonus.
Edited by Cayse on 3/23/2014 11:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
03/23/2014 11:14 AMPosted by Cayse
tv5 means if you have 5 HP it will always tell you to use TV before a generator.

If you have TV3 first, it will tell you to use it any time you're at 3 HP, even if generators are available. That is a dps loss.

[/quote]

Why is it a dps to loss to use TV3 ahead of generators, isn't it the highest damage attack?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Highest damage per global does not mean highest dps. Using TV right away instead of a HP generator means over time you are generating less HP, resulting in less TV used.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
MY TV hits nearly the same as 3hp or 5hp. I will take a screenshot tonight.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
03/23/2014 04:59 PMPosted by Aethrious

It actually hits exactly the same at 3HP or 5HP.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

Not sure if serious.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

http://tinyurl.com/mbvykpe
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ok, there is a concept here that some are not getting.

You know how you'll be pushing your buttons to do abilities and all of a sudden you hit a spot where everything is on cool down for the next 3 seconds all you can do is auto attack while you wait for crusader strike to come off cooldown?
If you had banked some holy power when it was available you would have less of these times. The reason prioritize HP generators over TV (unless you already have 5 holy power) is so that you'll have holy power ready to use when you hit these gaps in your rotation.

The goal is to do everything you can to make sure you're generating holy power as efficiently as you can while also playing your priorities so that you avoid having nothing to push. Because TV is the only part of your rotation that does not have a cool down (other than the global cood down) you need to use it only when everything else is on cool down or when you can't holy any more Holy Power.

If this concept doesn't make any sense to you, just try it for a while. After a few minutes smashing a target dummy you'll probably have that eureka moment where it all makes sense. If you still don't get it after playing this way for a bit, paladin may not be the best class for you to play.

03/23/2014 05:19 PMPosted by Zenalpaladin

http://tinyurl.com/mbvykpe

^this
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]