Professions for Cataclysm

85 Human Paladin
So for the entirety of WotLK I was JC/BS, because this provided the maximum intellect possible. I'm a huge min/maxer and always do whatever I can to better my character. A couple months ago I decided to ditch BS for engineering, as our guild was about to start attempting HM LK 25, and rocket boots are (were) absolutely AMAZING for that fight and well... any fight really. With the recent change to rocket boots though, I've been strongly considering dropping engineering for a new profession. So I was curious as to which you theorycrafters have come up with. I'm assuming Alchemy/JC will be the new thing

As for those of you that are curious as to what the rocket boot changes are... they can fail in raids now! It's horrible trying to use rocket boots in a clutch situation that can save a wipe to have them malfunction and shoot you 100 feet in the air, or give you a debuff that makes you take a ton of damage. The haste to gloves also wasn't that great because I run 1150 haste in a raid and I'm hitting huge DR. I really see no point in engineering anymore besides the pets, but that's not Min/Maxing my character, and I'll be pushing server firsts. I've got about 2 days for an answer before I either keep Engineering or get Alchemy, because Cata is right around the corner!

Phaíladin
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
honestly the caster glove tinker looks incredibly sweet from what i can tell. its the str and agi based melee dps who are loosing out on the engineering bandwagon since tank's get a very good showing as well. i'm going to stick with it for at least the first tier of raiding to see how it pans out and i don't want to level jewelcrafting because its so boring a profession (alchemy is worse and my inner rper hates the idea even though the stam bonus is pretty nice)

the fact that blizz nerfed our rocket boots is incredibly frustrating to me as i leveled it and i know many other paladins leveled engineering for just that to adress a weakness with our class ( lack of a gap closer) compared to other tanks; taking that away from us is pretty awful. i'm hoping that once the skill maxes the failure rate will go back down.

(lets not get into disallowing engineering in rated BGs)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Keep engineering while leveling through the expansion. Rocket boot will help you quest faster through the content.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/04/2010 1:11 AMPosted by Rèpent
honestly the caster glove tinker looks incredibly sweet from what i can tell. its the str and agi based melee dps who are loosing out on the engineering bandwagon since tank's get a very good showing as well. i'm going to stick with it for at least the first tier of raiding to see how it pans out and i don't want to level jewelcrafting because its so boring a profession (alchemy is worse and my inner rper hates the idea even though the stam bonus is pretty nice)

the fact that blizz nerfed our rocket boots is incredibly frustrating to me as i leveled it and i know many other paladins leveled engineering for just that to adress a weakness with our class ( lack of a gap closer) compared to other tanks; taking that away from us is pretty awful. i'm hoping that once the skill maxes the failure rate will go back down.

(lets not get into disallowing engineering in rated BGs)

Well, sorry I forgot to mention in the OP that I'm exclusively holy. Both my talents will be PvP and PvE holy specs. Money is also most definitely not a problem, so the whole "alchemy sucks to level thing" won't be a problem luckily ^_^. I can pretty much get any profession I want to max in about 2-3 hours, so it's just a matter of which profession would best suite me.

I just don't really see a use for engineering anymore sadly >_<. It's either between alchemy or enchanting, because of the new +30int to ring, it's +60 intellect from Enchanting. Alchemy also gives a bonus to flasks, but i don't know the exact percentage to compare to enchanting. If it's even close though, like 40-50 int from Alchemy, then i'll choose it for sure. You get to make an elixir to become a dragon, can make your own flasks, GREAT money maker especially early in the expansions, and the alchemist's stone.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/04/2010 2:44 AMPosted by Phaíladin

Well, sorry I forgot to mention in the OP that I'm exclusively holy. Both my talents will be PvP and PvE holy specs. Money is also most definitely not a problem, so the whole "alchemy sucks to level thing" won't be a problem luckily ^_^. I can pretty much get any profession I want to max in about 2-3 hours, so it's just a matter of which profession would best suite me.

I just don't really see a use for engineering anymore sadly >_<. It's either between alchemy or enchanting, because of the new +30int to ring, it's +60 intellect from Enchanting. Alchemy also gives a bonus to flasks, but i don't know the exact percentage to compare to enchanting. If it's even close though, like 40-50 int from Alchemy, then i'll choose it for sure. You get to make an elixir to become a dragon, can make your own flasks, GREAT money maker especially early in the expansions, and the alchemist's stone.

i figured. i don't heal out of principle but honestly the synapse springs (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82175) are probably one of the best caster enchants i've ever seen. i would keep it for a while for those alone.

though rocket boots are of less value to ret and holy because both now have a movement speed boost baked into their specs.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/04/2010 9:25 AMPosted by Rèpent
12/04/2010 2:44 AMPosted by Phaíladin

i figured. i don't heal out of principle but honestly the synapse springs (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82175) are probably one of the best caster enchants i've ever seen. i would keep it for a while for those alone.

though rocket boots are of less value to ret and holy because both now have a movement speed boost baked into their specs.

Oh interesting, I didn't know about that glove enchant at all. Looks like I'm going to have to do some math to see how much mp5 that would give me in a standard 5 minute fight. Tyvm for your replies!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Oh interesting, I didn't know about that glove enchant at all. Looks like I'm going to have to do some math to see how much mp5 that would give me in a standard 5 minute fight. Tyvm for your replies!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]