Healing Addons and You 101 - Guide

85 Tauren Paladin
12/06/2010 10:48 PMPosted by Trollibear
thoughts on healium?

and pic of your UI set up please

I wouldn't recommend Healium because of it's huge real estate take up. Not only that but it doesn't seem very customizable.

And I didn't want to post it, but here:
http://imgur.com/XdHGF

DBM timers appear to the right where they are easily seen, and top center I have current DBM warnings.
Edited by Practical on 12/6/2010 11:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
thats alot cleaner than how you described, and yes healiums size has been an issue although how it works without me having to target someone other than the tank was nice

Well my UI works for me, which is the general point I wanted to come across. It's good to have an aesthetically good looking UI, but really it's about functionality. If your UI doesn't look like the shiniest car, that's fine. But if that car runs like butter you may want to consider it useful before throwing it out.

Fortunately I have discovered a way to find my UI functional and pretty decent looking, in my opinion.
Edited by Practical on 12/6/2010 11:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
grid isnt so great now with the new blizzard raid UI, it is very customizable compared to a lot of other blizzard features and works just as well as grid IMO

i recommend cooldown timers, especially if you keybind because you're looking at your spells a lot less so it's nice being reminded when cooldowns are up somewhere on your screen where you're paying more attention
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/06/2010 11:05 PMPosted by Jilweed
grid isnt so great now with the new blizzard raid UI, it is very customizable compared to a lot of other blizzard features and works just as well as grid IMO

Blizzard Raid Frames, however, can only be so customized.

i recommend cooldown timers, especially if you keybind because you're looking at your spells a lot less so it's nice being reminded when cooldowns are up somewhere on your screen where you're paying more attention

ForteXcorcist in my opinion does it the best.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Grid + Clique is absolutely my favorite add on combo. I have almost all my heals set to bindings on my mouse buttons with a combo of shift+ mouse buttons. I definitely recommend these two for any raid healers out there. It's just as simple as making your main heals your main mouse buttons and prioritizing. *bump* for a great guide for new healers. Just make sure if you're downloading add ons you have some kind of decent protection on your computer as I have come across corrupted files from a few legitimate add on sites before.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Healer Buttons 3 is also awesome, especially for 5-mans. The author recently returned to WoW its available on Cursed & Wowinterface.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/healerbuttons3.aspx

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'm writing this down to review it and see if I can add it to the original post.

Don't forget to Thumbs Up (Or request for a sticky!) :)
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
bump

Do you think you would like to have my babies?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have a question. A few weeks ago I bought a Razer Naga, and since then I switched from using Vudho to using Grid+Mouse Over Macros. Is there anything else I should look into in terms of addons, or perhaps some advice in customizing Grid in terms of healing as a Paladin?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I realize this thread is primarily focused on addons, but there's also something to be said for not using any addons which should also at least be mentioned in an addon thread since there are those who actually think it isn't possible to heal efficiently without an addon.

To each their own in regards to addons in my opinion, but it is possible to heal, even at the high-end without addons.

I've healed 11/12 Heroic ICC25 and Heroic RS25 up to 45% before we stopped raiding, all fights with and without using an addon such as Grid, VuhDo, Healbot, Grid+Clique, etc.

The default UI frames have plenty of information for many people. So long as you know your class quite thoroughly, the encounters, and pay attention well and have a good memory. It tells me if they have a debuff I can get rid of, tells me health missing, I can scale quite easily to whatever size I want, shows very well other incoming heals, and is the simplest to setup possible in terms of the UI itself.

Couple those with efficient and decently robust macros such as:
@showtooltip Riptide
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists] [@target,help,exists] [@focus,help,exists] [@player] Riptide

One could make any numerous amounts of additions and changes to the macro to increase functionality and robustness, that's just the template I use for all of my heals on all of my healers and it works perfectly for me.

Make sure to have efficient key bindings that fit your hand and what you're used to and capable of using efficiently and quickly, and with those, you'll be capable of keeping up with any other healer using any healing addon.

It's more a matter of what you're used to using and can make the best use of than which addon is best. All of the "big three" healing addons can be configured near identically to the point where there is only minor aesthetic differences and very minor usability differences that really don't make a difference overall.

Addons aren't required, yes they can be very helpful and very useful, especially for those who need the addon to help them track stuff instead of reading DBM and being able to remember things, not everyone has that capability. This is all fine; addons are great for helping with that, but the alternative to addons should be represented as well.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
great thread practical, good work

i downloaded healbot not to long ago and to be honest, it scared crap out of me at first

once i watched a video on youtube on how to set it up however, my healing has increased 300% i would deffinatly recomend it to any new healers as it makes life alot easier. all the information you need is right at your fingertips and one click healing makes life super awsome :)

cheers
-Loh
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Hey everyone! I just got back from leveling up to 83 and I'm having too much fun with Holy Radiance. So many questions to ask, I love this!
12/07/2010 11:00 AMPosted by Tafari
bump

Do you think you would like to have my babies?

Yes.

I have a question. A few weeks ago I bought a Razer Naga, and since then I switched from using Vudho to using Grid+Mouse Over Macros. Is there anything else I should look into in terms of addons, or perhaps some advice in customizing Grid in terms of healing as a Paladin?

I would suggest a cooldown timer, like the one's I've suggested before. If not, you can always have Grid display the Beacon icon on the frame you'd like, and it'll slowly show it's cooldown like a normal spell on that specific frame. I use both ForteXcorcist and Grid displaying it so that If I'm not looking in one play I'll see it in another.

I realize this thread is primarily focused on addons, but there's also something to be said for not using any addons which should also at least be mentioned in an addon thread since there are those who actually think it isn't possible to heal efficiently without an addon.

To each their own in regards to addons in my opinion, but it is possible to heal, even at the high-end without addons.

I've healed 11/12 Heroic ICC25 and Heroic RS25 up to 45% before we stopped raiding, all fights with and without using an addon such as Grid, VuhDo, Healbot, Grid+Clique, etc.

The default UI frames have plenty of information for many people. So long as you know your class quite thoroughly, the encounters, and pay attention well and have a good memory. It tells me if they have a debuff I can get rid of, tells me health missing, I can scale quite easily to whatever size I want, shows very well other incoming heals, and is the simplest to setup possible in terms of the UI itself.

If your UI works for you -- awesome, I wouldn't want you to change it. Our opinions differ and soley on the small fact that I along with many other healers believe that addons not only further assist you but increase efficiency. That doesn't go to say that we can't heal without addons, it's just that I like information brought to me in places I can see it. I think a lot of healers would agree that when you are performing in a raid (especially hardmodes), that there's very many things you pay attention to.

Addons, at least for me, allow me to focus on what I can see rather than looking for information across my monitor. At least if I do that, with addons, I know where everything is in a convenient way.

Make sure to have efficient key bindings that fit your hand and what you're used to and capable of using efficiently and quickly, and with those, you'll be capable of keeping up with any other healer using any healing addon.

It's more a matter of what you're used to using and can make the best use of than which addon is best. All of the "big three" healing addons can be configured near identically to the point where there is only minor aesthetic differences and very minor usability differences that really don't make a difference overall.

Addons aren't required, yes they can be very helpful and very useful, especially for those who need the addon to help them track stuff instead of reading DBM and being able to remember things, not everyone has that capability. This is all fine; addons are great for helping with that, but the alternative to addons should be represented as well.

While reading this, I thought "You know, he brought up a good point. What if a healer doesn't have an addons or wants to use them? What should they do? How can I help?" Unfortunately, because my knowledge only expands as far as addons themselves, rather than Macros I wouldn't see myself fit to explain which "Healing Macros" are good for those who don't want to use addons.

But to get back to addressing this post. I want to say that I'll have to disagree, I've played with default UI many times prior to posting any of this, just so that I had a fresh understanding of how everything is now. Through my experiences I'd have to go with recommending addons versus not.

Even at bare minimum, I know you could understand why an addon like Quartz is nearly mandatory for anyone that has a cast bar. While it's one addon, it's still an addon. And one that can make a very big change in your healing overall. :)

If you would like to make a thread on Macros and Healing with them, not only would I learn something but I would fully support it as well!

@Lohhanu, for lack of room because I don't want this post to be so long -- thanks :)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
A little known addon that I personally love for healing, CastDonut(http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13333-CastDonut.html) puts a circular castbar around your mousecursor, especially useful for those of us that use grid+clique.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I also used to heal in BC without any addons and, in general, I still do with a minor exception which I believe has been left out of this thread. Decursive. Mention it somehow, please. For those that don't use giant healing addons like Healbot (which makes me LOL at healers when it breaks and they suck) it's a mouseover addon that simply removes curses, magic debuffs, diseases, poisons, etc depending on what class you are. It's nearly perfect how it comes and it's very lightweight for people that need to save RAM.

Also, I agree with Rattatat. Addons are most certainly not NEEDED but definately help in some cases. In no way should any addon be mandatory for healing. Some are nice and some may help, but if you can't do your job without any addons, you may want to try something different. I heal with ONLY Decursive as a healing addon and still win some healing meters with comparably geared and skilled healers that use many addons to help them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/06/2010 10:57 PMPosted by Practical
12/06/2010 10:48 PMPosted by Trollibear
thoughts on healium?

and pic of your UI set up please

I wouldn't recommend Healium because of it's huge real estate take up. Not only that but it doesn't seem very customizable.

And I didn't want to post it, but here:
http://imgur.com/XdHGF

DBM timers appear to the right where they are easily seen, and top center I have current DBM warnings.

I think you should add healium anyway due to the fact that it caters to another section of healers. I personally don't like using the keyboard for anything but moving around. I'm more visually wired then wired to hit a certain combination of buttons while clicking. Healium works best for me and how I play. Yes it may take up a lot of space but for those of us who usually do 5 mans it works quite well. I think it deserves a mention.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
eCastinBar hasn't been updated in forever.
CastBars is a more maintained alternative.
Need OmniCC on the list of basic cooldown watch.
You might also put in a Procs category. Granted, blizz built in a form of powerauras but you need it to monitor chakra states and serendipity too, and not just SoL.
Reply Quote
30 Human Priest
Nice man...I just started as a healer..I'm usually a Ret Pally, but I dont think I'll be goin back. Thanks, great guide
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]