Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Blood Elf Paladin
08/09/2011 01:14 AMPosted by Kagara
Why hasn't this been stickied?

I don't know.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I didn't scroll through all 7 pages, but I would like to reccomend WeakAuras as an alternative to Power Auras. I've found it to be more customizable and easier to set up than PA.
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Shaman
As I've recently started to do battlegrounds and stopped doing pve raids. I have had to re-haul my ui. I was using the defaults...

I managed to make it cleaner and more minimalistic.

I use Vuhdo with mouseover macros, they are centred under my toon and slightly below. I made my vuhdo bars fairly small, 60 x 32. With CoolLine sized with the same length and height as my vudho unit frames, it sits just above them.

Bartender4 for my buffs, mounts and what i call the Panic Row, which is a row of buttons with Fear, escaping trinket, desperate prayer, gift of naaru and shadowfiend!

I have a 21" monitor, so I still have a fairly large screen area to view, even when all the unit frames are filled.
Edited by Aerides on 8/9/2011 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Figured I'd chime in with my 2 cents.

For basic raiding addons, I use DBM and GTFO. GTFO plays an audible alarm when you are standing in bad stuff, which is really nice because sometimes it's hard to see with certain effects going off. For dispelling, I use decursive. The live list is nice, and it's just a good addon. Healthbartext is a nice addon that shows overall health plus percentages. Knowing boss percentages is important, but I like showing the absolute value as well. RSA is good for announcing things (interupts, CC, CC breaks, cooldown usage). Power Aura Classic for showing procs, buffs, cooldowns, etc (plays a noise and shows icon when water shield falls off).

I used to click to change targets and use key bindings. When I leveled my holy pally, I decided to try mouse over macros so that I could keep enemies targeted to judge. I had been using a focus target macro to interupt on my shaman, but you need to judge so much more frequently than interrupting that it made focus target macros impractical. Anyway, once you get used to them, they are really nice.

The one problem that I have with mouseover macros is using nature's swiftness. I can't seem to get a NS macro to work with mouseover. In fact, it just plain won't work when mousing over a target, even without a specific target=mouseover command. I had to get rid of the mouse over part because I would end up using NS/GHW on a totem that i moved my mouse to after clicking a target.

I still use the default raid frames. Blizzard has really done a good job improving them, and they are absolutely viable for 10 man at least. In large BG's or 25 man raiding, you might want to use a custom frame mod that can slim down better. The blizzard raid frames also can show resources which is nice for monitoring when to drop mana tide. Sometimes I'm at 90% mana and the other healers are at 70%. One caveat to this is that I do use a mod called Raid Frame Indicators that lets me customize showing buffs/debuffs. With this, I can do things like show my earth shield or beacon one way and other people's earth shield or beacon a different way. I can show debuffs with the duration or stacks listed.

I have been testing out Healbot on my druid/priest alts. Honestly, I think if I do switch to Healbot it will be because of tanking/dps specs. I don't really want to use mouseover macros when dps'ing because I don't focus on my mouse location as much as when I'm playing a dedicated healer. I might end up healing a totem. I usually want to self heal, so I like having the auto self cast. But it would be nice to be able to click cast a heal on a person in a group. Also, on a dps spec I don't want to use a bunch of keybinds for different heals. I need the primo keybinds for damage abilities. So again, another reason healbot is better for dps healing.

Anyway, I'm kind of torn between making the full switch to healbot vs staying with the default frames + raid frame indicators. I really like how the default frames put the designated tanks in a special slot with their target and target's target. I like the customization of Raid Frame Indicators. If I didn't have dps offspec's, I probably wouldn't change. Still may not change.

I do wish someone would make a really smart chain heal addon that would not just show people within 12 yards of your target, but would actually show you a predicted jump path or something.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Blood Elf Paladin
08/09/2011 01:54 PMPosted by Squishes
I didn't scroll through all 7 pages, but I would like to reccomend WeakAuras as an alternative to Power Auras. I've found it to be more customizable and easier to set up than PA.

Definitely will be adding WA to the list. I'm using it now!
Reply Quote
Very helpful

/sticky
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Great Post!! I mostly skimmed it because I already know my addons and what not. (Sorry!) But what I did read was excellent info for new healers and well put together.

/sticky
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This really, REALLY needs to be stickied mods <3
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Fatality:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/fatality.aspx

Basially it prints a message to chat (what ever output you specify) when someone dies (the last thing that lead to their death. Usually, people arn't so quick to jump on the healer when they see something like:

[P] Maxheals: Fatality: Huntard > [Dark Fissure] [Commander Ulthok]

If you need something that provides a lot more detail on how deaths are happening, I recommend Death Note:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/deathnote.aspx
Edited by Maxheals on 9/8/2011 8:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Blood Elf Paladin
NEW FANCY STICKY BUTTON, GET TO IT CHAPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I do wish someone would make a really smart chain heal addon that would not just show people within 12 yards of your target, but would actually show you a predicted jump path or something.

This option already exists for both grid and vuhdo. It can show you predicted targets that are going to get hit with CH if you choose to cast it on current mouseover.
Edited by Sedivy on 9/14/2011 8:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I didn't read through all the posts so there is a possablility this has been mentioned before, but what addons that you mentioned have the least stress on my wow while im playing. I have an older and slower computer and have had problems with some addons just slowing me down way too much.

So it would be extremely helpful if there was a discription on if the addon will slow you down or anything like that since I would hate if I found a good addon, configured it to what was confortable only to find out I am rendered useless when I actually go into the raid.

I loved the guide, thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Well done!

I remember bak to TBC days and not knowing what an add-on was. Clicking portraits then heals was the way you did it lol. Now i couldnt imagine healing without Healbot! In my opinion as a holy pally Healbot is best but i am now going to try Vuhdu and check out Healium. Thanks for the terriffic guide!
Reply Quote
Great Guide! I am completely new at healing. I have a 85 mage and hunter so this is too new to me. The add-ons you have listed, how many of them are being used at once? I use Healium and love it. Its alot easier to customize!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
This really, REALLY needs to be stickied mods <3

pretty please, with sugar on top
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
requested for sticky.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It has been like this for months. :(

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]