Healing questions...

80 Human Priest
I have multiple as I do plan on healing with my priest once at level cap.

First off, Why is over-healing considered to be so bad? I mean, I understand not using flash heal when they're at 95% health, that's just a waste, but if it overheals by a few hundred or in cata numbers a thousand, what's the big harm?

Second, How do you know which heal is right for the situation. Example, tank is at 50%, one greater heal will put him back up to 90% and tossing a renew will top him off. But greater heal takes 2.3 (i think) seconds to cast, while casting, he gets tanked to 10%, which puts him back at 50%. Should you just pop a flash heal in that situation or? There's a lot of healing utility, that sometimes i've made "bad" decisions which results in overhealing. Someone said "Over-healing is just as bad as no healing" Is that an over exaggeration? or?

Theses questions have been eating at me for about a week or so now. And for the "n00b" comments that may follow, I am a complete n00b to healing, I've tanked and dps'd, but i've only ever healed 3 instances.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
1 In cata you will (should) run out of mana if you are not careful. Overhealing is wasting mana.

2 By feel, DPS is science, healing is art.

Good luck and stay with it.
Edited by Ceaseless on 12/5/2010 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
12/05/2010 10:17 AMPosted by Ceaseless
1 In cata you will (should) run out of mana if you are not careful. Overhealing is wasting mana.

Thanks for the encouragement :)
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
12/05/2010 10:12 AMPosted by Thoromir
I have multiple as I do plan on healing with my priest once at level cap.

First off, Why is over-healing considered to be so bad? I mean, I understand not using flash heal when they're at 95% health, that's just a waste, but if it overheals by a few hundred or in cata numbers a thousand, what's the big harm?

Second, How do you know which heal is right for the situation. Example, tank is at 50%, one greater heal will put him back up to 90% and tossing a renew will top him off. But greater heal takes 2.3 (i think) seconds to cast, while casting, he gets tanked to 10%, which puts him back at 50%. Should you just pop a flash heal in that situation or? There's a lot of healing utility, that sometimes i've made "bad" decisions which results in overhealing. Someone said "Over-healing is just as bad as no healing" Is that an over exaggeration? or?

Theses questions have been eating at me for about a week or so now. And for the "n00b" comments that may follow, I am a complete n00b to healing, I've tanked and dps'd, but i've only ever healed 3 instances.

Thanks in advance.

"The only stupid question is the one not asked"
-Er...Someone important I imagine.

Just kidding. Overhealing indicates that you healed too much, for too little. As of right now, some classes are set when it comes to not overhealing (Disc priest) while others really have no choice but to overheal (Paladin's Beacon and PoTI says hello). Overhealing are one of those things that needs to be gauged when new content is released, when we see how damage output is :)

Visually auditing, my friend. If a tank is at 50% health, and you can afford the time and want to save mana, cast a Heal. If he's at 30% health, I'd consider it danger enough to use a fast inefficient heal. If you know you can buy yourself time (like with a transition from a fight or something), and you want to top the tank of use your large Heal. You'll be able to get a 'feel' of what heal is appropriate for each situation as you heal more.

The person who said that overhealing is just as bad as no healing is on a technical sense, correct. However there are fight mechanics that sometimes overhealing just happens. As a paladin, I can't help but TO overheal with PoTL proc'ing every cast I don't heal myself with.

Sometimes it feels as thought he community really just regards overhealing as something absolutely and finally negative without looking at all the data first :(
Edited by Practical on 12/5/2010 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
It's almost impossible to have 0% overhealing. Sometimes you get an unexpected crit, sometimes you only need 4 ticks of a HoT so the 5th is wasted. What's important is keeping it to a minimum.

Every point of overhealing is wasted health that could have mattered latter should you go oom. Which is an important point. If healers aren't going oom, then overhealing is meaningless. Right now in WotLK overhealing is irrelevant. It's impossible to waste an infinite resource. In Cata, hopefully, healers will go back to looking at the overhealing meters for ways to improve, rather than the straight epeen healing meters.

To minimize overhealing, healing assignments can help. Other than that, it's simply healing only who needs to be healed, with the smallest heal that will get the job done. If a dps is at 80% with a HoT ticking, let him be. There's no need to toss him a heal and turn the HoT into a waste of mana.

As for when to use what heal, it's largely intuition. As you heal a fight enough you'll get a feel for the rate of incoming damage. Sometimes it's slow and steady, other times it can be high or spiky. It'll vary from fight to fight, and possibly even tank to tank. All you can do is heal a fight until you've got a good feel for how the fight tends to go. If a fight has steady damage, feel free to wind up a slow heal on a tank at 40%. If the damage is spiky, it might be time for Flash Heals.

Specific mechanics can warrant changes in healing style as well. If a boss has a heavy hitting spell, (Fusion Punch, Dragon breaths in general) make sure the tank has enough HP to survive it, then try and time a large heal to land immediately after the big hit.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
12/05/2010 10:12 AMPosted by Thoromir

I don't have a priest, just a druid, but i'll answer this question because druids had a huge habit of overhealing pre-patch.

Consider this experiment. Take a cup and fill it with water all the way to the top. Now, keep pouring water and watch it overflow down the sides of the cup.

Why are you doing that?

Unless someone was drinking the water out of the cup, there's no reason to keep pouring more into it. It's full isn't it? It doesn't get any more full than before right? That extra water is being wasted and serves no purpose.

For my case as a druid, there was a difference between overhealing and pre-hotting. Pre-HoTing was putting rejuvenation or regrowth (or both) on the tank while he was about to pull a mob or boss, and that healing is taken the instant he pulls. Over-healing is like casting regrowth, rejuvenation, 3 stacks of lifebloom, wild growth, and a few spam nourish and HT's when I know that a simple rejuvenation will cap him for a while. If a tank was at 98% HP and I wanted to heal him, I would rather a rejuvenation cap a tank and give him an extra 2000 overheal, than cast Healing Touch and give him a whopping 15,000 overheal. You use what ever is more efficient for his health. There is no "2% heal" spell. Overhealing will always happen, it's situational depending on the boss and his attacks/damage moves and what spells you use.

A lot of healers will treat over-healing as a sort of pre-hotting like what druids do. As healers, we love it when everyone can be easily capped as far as their HP, so why not make it easiER by casting more than enough HoT spells on them? The slightest dent in a tank or dps will instantly be covered up by the healing spell(s) we casted on them. We're doing our job!! Right?

But why? Why that many spells? We all know deep down that they don't need that much healing to live, so why do we continue to spam healing when one cast will cap them for a good 5-7 seconds? Mabye it's out of habit, mabye it's to "be safe." Or perhaps, if you are a skilled healer, you never go OOM even if you do overheal, so why not?

Anyway, all that extra healing that isn't necessary is over-healing. You don't need to do it, and the receiver doesn't need it either, he just wants to stay alive, not necessarily capped.
Edited by Votakra on 12/5/2010 11:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
I find its best to heal according to the person tanking and the incomming damage....different people tank different ways.

If healing is an art and dps is a science....what does that make tanking?

Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Overhealing is something you work on to better yourself as a healer once you are pretty confident with your healing. It is squeezing that last bit of use out of every mana. As a new healer, don't worry about overhealing too much. Obviously you shouldn't drop a big heal on someone with full HP of course, but when healers talk about reducing overheal, they're talking about a more advanced type of healing.

Basically underhealing is much worse than overhealing. :P

Once you do feel confident and know your toolbox and when you should use each tool, you can start concentrating on reducing your overheal. The only way to get better is to heal more, and just get used to your spells, both the amount they heal for and their cast times, and being able to anticipate the thing you are fighting. Knowing when something is going to enrage and hit harder for example, will help you plan your heals.

Finally, use your cooldowns often. Much better to waste a cooldown than not use and need it. Healer cooldowns are short, don't be scared to blow them whenever you need breathing room.

e: in your example, you should cast the renew first- because the Hot will tick while you cast the Greater Heal, keeping him from dropping so much while you cast the bigger heal. :) Or you could use a cooldown like Pain Suppression to keep the tank up while you wind up your big heal. Or the tank could use one of his own cooldowns to cover for you. Healing is about triage. 1: Stabilize- hots, pom, shields, cooldowns etc. What you do when things look rough. This covers for 2: Recovery- big heal, whatever it takes to bring him back up to safe levels. Attempting recovery without stabilizing can be very dangerous depending on the encounter.
Edited by Heza on 12/5/2010 9:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Bible study
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
DPS is science, healing is art.

Ohhhh I love it!

12/05/2010 9:45 PMPosted by Faveokatro

Bible study

Love it even more!!

OT: I think your questions were answered very thoroughly above so I will just add a good luck! Healing, imo, is the most rewarding part of the game :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Dont worry too much about overhealing until mana becomes an issue. Youll know how much mana each spell costs and how much its heals for. For practice, try healing wrath dungeons with as few spells as possible. Try to only use enough spells to stop peeps dying. Also a good time to practice your CCing abilities. Soldier on dude :)
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Thank you all so much for the responses, I've read that cata is going to be much more "awareness" oriented than WOTLK so I didn't want to get this priest to 85 in cata and then wipe every group i heal for or panic (like I did in ramps the other day) and blow 1/2 my mana healing everyone.

Although, everyone did come out fine, I had to drink haha.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]