WTB XML Feeds! Offering lunch at Javier's!

(Locked)

86 Night Elf Druid
Hey Flywheel and other battle.net devs!
Any update on xml feeds for characters/items on the new wow battle.net site? I've been holding off on writing a new character/item parser for Rawr, but am running out of time, and am afraid I'll just have to parse the HTML (yuck!), since Cata's a few days away and we want to release Rawr in time for Cata.

WTB [XML Feeds]! Offering lunch at Javier's, Yardhouse, or CPK in trade! PST!

;)
Edited by Astrylian on 12/4/2010 1:14 AM PST
85 Human Priest
In the same boat... Really don't want to have to resort to parsing the HTML, any word?
Web & Mobile Team
Hey Astrylian,

Apologies for the delay! We are definitely going to provide you with some up-to-date feeds fresh off the new Battle.net site. However, the most immediate priority for us has been to get the new site up and running. What this means for now is, the feeds will continue to be provided from the wowarmory.com domain until we can implement fresh shiny new ones here. When that happens we will give you guys a heads up about it and should provide everyone with enough time to react before the switch becomes permanent.

* We would have worked on the XML feeds earlier had we known there was a free lunch in the deal! ;)
86 Night Elf Druid
Hey Flywheel, thanks for the quick reply!

While you're here, can you let me know if you expect the new xml feeds will be accessible via Flash/Silverlight? Flash/Silverlight require the site hosting any remote files you access to implement a crossdomain.xml or clientaccesspolicy.xml file, to indicate that it's OK for specific files to be accessed from a different domain (ie, the domain hosting the Flash/Silverlight app). Wowarmory.com didn't allow access to the xml feeds, and that ends up being a pain to work around (having to have a server proxy the request basically).

Serious about the lunch; I work next to the Spectrum. Contact me via e-mail if you want. :)
90 Dwarf Hunter
Astrylian, while you're waiting, if you want my simplistic regexes I've been using to grab out the data for my site (I gave up on waiting for the XML version when the old armory stopped loading most hunter talents for some reason) send me an email via the femaledwarf.com site and I'll send over what I have.
Regarding XML feeds, will there be XML feeds for guilds as well?
85 Orc Warrior
12/04/2010 1:27 AMPosted by Flywheel
Hey Astrylian,

Apologies for the delay! We are definitely going to provide you with some up-to-date feeds fresh off the new Battle.net site. However, the most immediate priority for us has been to get the new site up and running. What this means for now is, the feeds will continue to be provided from the wowarmory.com domain until we can implement fresh shiny new ones here. When that happens we will give you guys a heads up about it and should provide everyone with enough time to react before the switch becomes permanent.

* We would have worked on the XML feeds earlier had we known there was a free lunch in the deal! ;)

The problem I have with this is the old XML feeds are missing information and even data. The roster for Guilds is well and truely bugged. Not only that a lot of items are missing.
Web & Mobile Team
12/04/2010 3:09 AMPosted by Astrylian
While you're here, can you let me know if you expect the new xml feeds will be accessible via Flash/Silverlight?

Good question, we really haven't discussed this one yet. When we get focused on the feeds I'll be sure to raise this question.

12/04/2010 10:05 AMPosted by Gurloz

Yep

The problem I have with this is the old XML feeds are missing information and even data. The roster for Guilds is well and truely bugged. Not only that a lot of items are missing.

That's going to be the downside to using the old feeds, obviously they don't contain the new Cataclysm data, they just support changes to the existing data. We hope to have new feeds done as quickly as we can, but in the short term, things like guilds will be impacted.
Edited by Straton on 12/4/2010 11:37 AM PST
12/04/2010 11:34 AMPosted by Flywheel
12/04/2010 10:05 AMPosted by Gurloz

Yep

Sweet, awesome! Looking forward to this for my guild website! ^_^
80 Night Elf Hunter
Let's skip XML and go straight to the good stuff - JSON :)
90 Goblin Priest
What about the realm status XML feed? (worldofwarcraft.com/realmstatus/status.xml) This no longer works after the redirect.
12/05/2010 12:17 AMPosted by Stigg
What about the realm status XML feed? (worldofwarcraft.com/realmstatus/status.xml) This no longer works after the redirect.

Realm status is now available here, although it's not a feed:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status
50 Human Rogue
12/04/2010 3:09 AMPosted by Astrylian
Wowarmory.com didn't allow access to the xml feeds, and that ends up being a pain to work around (having to have a server proxy the request basically).

This is a problem in general for Silverlight, but it's not the hardest thing to write a small web service to consume the RSS feed and throw some results that you can work with. That said, anything to make it easier for us to play with this stuff is most welcome :)
12/05/2010 12:17 AMPosted by Stigg

Indeed. Our realm status widgets just broke. The upgrades sound tasty, though, especially the guild XML feed. So I'm down to wait and hide the widgets for now.

Where will we find out about the new feeds when they're up? Is this forum the best way to keep tabs, or is there a dev channel somewhere?
90 Tauren Druid
12/05/2010 4:24 AMPosted by Gizen
Where will we find out about the new feeds when they're up? Is this forum the best way to keep tabs, or is there a dev channel somewhere?

I would like to know if you guys have a blog, or something i can toss into my google reader
Web & Mobile Team
12/05/2010 4:24 AMPosted by Gizen

I think once we are at a point where we feel comfortable with the new feeds we will make a news post on the homepage about it. At the same time, we will continue to use this forum to discuss all web & mobile related suggestions.
51 Night Elf Druid
Flywheel, what about throttling?

wowarmory.com throttled requests, understandably because of ongoing performance instability and that pages weren't cached.

If you provide us cached XML feeds for the new B.net Armory, could the throttle be significantly reduced--if not removed?
1 Gnome Rogue
Hey Flywheel, this is Erorus, the editor at TheUndermineJournal.com. I noticed that battle.net now does the auction house, but it no longer returns XML data, and it no longer returns item search results after the first 200. This means that once you shut down the old auction site at wowarmory.com, I won't be able to get any auction data for my visitors.

So, any words on doing XML support (and, more importantly, results over 200) for auction listings in the new battle.net auction house? I'd offer you lunch, but I already pay Blizzard $140/month for access to every auction house, and I'm kinda broke. :)
85 Orc Warrior
So how do we get to the old or new feeds? Apparently there was a switchover this morning and no post regarding it and how we can still get to the old feeds which was stated by a blue we would still have access to.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Looking forward to the new XML feeds. The parsing of the HTML is bad stuff especially if you want to do it on any mobile platform :))))
Will the character stats be updated upon the log off from the system or will you update the stats runtime or is it transactional? Like when we log off you commit the statistics to the DB the create the feeds out of it?
Will it be possible to download offline say item-infos in one/multiple XML file or in CSV format. Which makes sense not to give overheads for blizz DB servers. I guess alot of us would want something like that.
Thank you!!! New site looks sexy :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]