WTB XML Feeds! Offering lunch at Javier's!

(Locked)

84 Blood Elf Hunter
Any word on the status of the access to the old Armory feeds? It looks like the Armory site got switched over and they aren't available.
1 Undead Priest
Help, where'd wowarmory.com go?
85 Tauren Death Knight
Can blizzard please keep the wowarmory active until the feeds have completely moved over?

This is killing me
86 Tauren Druid
12/04/2010 1:27 AMPosted by Flywheel
What this means for now is, the feeds will continue to be provided from the wowarmory.com domain until we can implement fresh shiny new ones here.

Maybe you have been misinformed. Any request for us.wowarmory.com is given a 301 and sent here.

12/05/2010 11:35 AMPosted by Zen
Flywheel, what about throttling?

wowarmory.com throttled requests, understandably because of ongoing performance instability and that pages weren't cached.

If you provide us cached XML feeds for the new B.net Armory, could the throttle be significantly reduced--if not removed?

Herein lies a design decision for independent developers of dynamic websites. Since not many guild websites receive lots of traffic on a daily or even hourly basis, it isn't a priority for those websites to constantly grab content from an XML feed whenever a page is loaded. That would be wasteful. "Best practice" would most likely involve a cron job (or scheduled task) for a PHP script that can run every 5-10 minutes to grab and parse an XML feed. The parsed XML document would then be cached and updated on a MySQL server, which would then feed the information to your website. This would make your page load very quickly, and would be less of a burden on battle.net servers.
Edited by Pfunk on 12/6/2010 12:57 PM PST
1 Undead Priest
wowarmory.com seems to be back. Thanks! Was the interruption just due to the migration or something?
100 Night Elf Warrior
It also depends on how the data is stored on blizz's servers if these are the cached DB queries which are already prepared for queries like materialized views which should give fast replies it's one thing if they are just a normalized related tables it's another. The creation and update of statistics sometimes can be a real pain in the neck. Even the requests every 5-10 mins from multiple sources can cause troubles. I'd rather prefer have armory's items to be pre-cached in one big file or separated into multiple ones - at least the id's and descriptions not the images. Just to download them and that's about it.

The guild statistics is another thing - I've seen that on the guild stats my achievement points haven't been updated for a very long time in the armory's guild stats. So yes I would agree here it has to be updated abit more often say daily or twice a day. Which is also a tricky thing to get statistics from constantly updating databases/tables. Won't be fast for sure. So all of the statistics is a matter of periods being cut from runtime tables and rendered into a selectable fast ones. No one with a good mind condition would keep same tables for selects and inserts with big amounts of data :) that's what the DataWarehousings are for.
Cheers.
85 Gnome Warlock
For those who are concerned with throttling, I would suggesting looking into YQL. It has been a godsend for what I'm doing with armory feed :)
86 Tauren Druid
12/06/2010 11:37 AMPosted by Klaern
For those who are concerned with throttling, I would suggesting looking into YQL. It has been a godsend for what I'm doing with armory feed :)

I really appreciate many of the Yahoo! developer tools as well. I find their YUI Library full of goodies.

^^ This is why we need a developer forum.

In response to Heimdallur's post, I would say that if you design your own PHP cron jobs and MySQL server databases well (with the correct fields used for primary keys and indices), you will neither have to worry about sorting and storing too much data from battle.net's servers, nor long search times to get data from your database rows to your page, even with hundreds of thousands of "activity" entries. The default MyISAM database in MySQL should be just fine for that task.

I would recommend any independent developer to peruse cs75.net, one of Harvard's Open CourseWare programs. It's an excellent educational resource for learning the tools used to create dynamic websites with security, scalability, and usability in mind.
Edited by Pfunk on 12/6/2010 12:49 PM PST
84 Goblin Warrior
Oh my GOD... Yahoo Query (YQL).. Seriously!... Get with the times, lose the dodge library and go use jQuery.. Take it from me an experienced developer over 18 years who has used Yahoo Query and jQuery from the get go :)
Edited by Hulksta on 12/6/2010 2:45 PM PST
90 Goblin Hunter
wowarmory.com still gives a 301 and there are no new feeds.. This is gonna break a lot of stuff.
62 Human Death Knight
How long until you guys implement the xml? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

There are a lot of things that the switch over broke on my website and I need to know if I should go ahead and start writing an html version or wait for the xml to be implemented.
100 Human Warrior
Perhaps this has been suggested before, but has there been any discussion on defining an official Armory dev API (like the Twitter dev API, etc) and respective documentation?
86 Tauren Druid
12/06/2010 6:12 PMPosted by Lovepanda
How long until you guys implement the xml? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

There are a lot of things that the switch over broke on my website and I need to know if I should go ahead and start writing an html version or wait for the xml to be implemented.

Chances are you might have to do some screen-scráping for now. I don't know how you would normally do it, but I highly recommend XPath. http://www.w3schools.com/xpath

12/06/2010 9:28 PMPosted by Briandek
Perhaps this has been suggested before, but has there been any discussion on defining an official Armory dev API (like the Twitter dev API, etc) and respective documentation?

It's been suggested quite a few times by myself and others, and I hope all of you here, advocate for our own Developer Forum. I think this new "community" is a good opportunity for Blizzard to establish good rapport with independent developers, where none had been earnestly pursued before. Frankly, making websites and webapps nowadays is fun again, thanks to excellent APIs and libraries like jQuery and YUI, which are very much in vogue with today's developers. Consequently, we have many eager people wanting to take a crack at XML and JSON feeds, and if there's an API down the road, we'll do even more awesome stuff with that. Please, Blizzard web devs, create a Developer Forum for perhaps the most helpful, eager community of people here. You help us, we will help others.
86 Tauren Druid
edit: double post
Edited by Pfunk on 12/6/2010 9:58 PM PST
91 Blood Elf Death Knight
Since we're talking about XML feeds, any idea if/when the realm status XML will be updated/fixed?

"http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/realmstatus/status.xml" no longer works, and instead points to "http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status", which is obviously not an XML page.
62 Human Death Knight
Edited by Lovepanda on 12/7/2010 3:31 AM PST
85 Dwarf Death Knight
The armory feeds still work for me. The XML is still there even though the browser show that new splash page.
e.g. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Buranshe&rhtml=no

Only the homepage seems to cause instant redirects.
Edited by Lobrow on 12/7/2010 2:10 AM PST
100 Undead Warrior
The armory feeds still work for me. The XML is still there even though the browser show that new splash page.
e.g. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Buranshe&rhtml=no

Only the homepage seems to cause instant redirects.

Cool, thanks for the find. Was not sure if that was the circumstance, because some of our feeds are still fetching information.
85 Gnome Warlock
12/06/2010 2:44 PMPosted by Hulksta
Oh my GOD... Yahoo Query (YQL).. Seriously!... Get with the times, lose the dodge library and go use jQuery.. Take it from me an experienced developer over 18 years who has used Yahoo Query and jQuery from the get go :)

I'm confused as to why jQuery and YQL would go hand in hand necessarily? I'm using YQL for pulling feeds (I'll use it for HTML sc%%@@*# if feeds don't show up soonish...) in a cron using curl and PHP. No jQuery, no javascript, no front-end.

jQuery is greatly useful for front-end UI fanciness, but not at all useful server side. While YQL is greatly useful for pulling data from the web in a nice, easy, and powerful fashion.

Are you perhaps confusing YUI with YQL?
Edited by Klaern on 12/7/2010 1:42 PM PST
Web & Mobile Team
12/06/2010 9:28 PMPosted by Briandek
There has been discussion and we plan to develop something like this - what shape that will take exactly is still unknown, but we definitely want to work more closely with our fansites, this is important to us.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]