WTB XML Feeds! Offering lunch at Javier's!

(Locked)

78 Tauren Druid
How long are we talking until xml is implemented? Days? Weeks? Months?
70 Human Paladin
12/07/2010 5:09 PMPosted by Flywheel
12/06/2010 9:28 PMPosted by Briandek
Perhaps this has been suggested before, but has there been any discussion on defining an official Armory dev API (like the Twitter dev API, etc) and respective documentation?
There has been discussion and we plan to develop something like this - what shape that will take exactly is still unknown, but we definitely want to work more closely with our fansites, this is important to us.

Just my 2c.

XML is nice provided that the data is up to date and the requests aren't throttled. Not much more than that is really required unless you want to provide some special bulk-query API for people who want to grab a lot of data, such as a whole guild, or Wowhead's profiler running it's resync queue.

I'm guessing from the design of the new Wow site that you've got a much better infrastructure in place for character data so hopefully throttline won't be neccesary.

If you're taking feature requests however, Where's the UI API documentation :P

Anyway, keep up the awesome work, the new CS looks amazing.

(An ETA on data feeds would be nice though as the poster above said)
Edited by Garriçk on 12/7/2010 7:32 PM PST
100 Draenei Mage
12/07/2010 2:09 AMPosted by Lobrow
The armory feeds still work for me. The XML is still there even though the browser show that new splash page.
e.g. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Buranshe&rhtml=no

Only the homepage seems to cause instant redirects.

The feeds are still there, but data from Cataclysm items are missing.

See my reply to the other Armory thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969726977?page=4#72

84 Goblin Warrior
Just FYI, I've created a JSON feed for Realm Status. It can be found here -> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1305723106

I'm currently working on at least a roster list feed at current. Hopefully Blizzard will have their feeds up within the next few weeks, but in the mean time people can use the feeds I'm providing.

*EDIT -> Guild Roster player list JSON / XML feed is up. It can be found here -> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1306103373
Edited by Hulksta on 12/8/2010 7:19 AM PST
85 Gnome Warlock
Perhaps this has been suggested before, but has there been any discussion on defining an official Armory dev API (like the Twitter dev API, etc) and respective documentation?
There has been discussion and we plan to develop something like this - what shape that will take exactly is still unknown, but we definitely want to work more closely with our fansites, this is important to us.

This is awesome news, so glad to hear this is in the works, even if just a bit still :)
100 Night Elf Druid
Just bumping this.
My site relies on several XML feeds, run by cURL and a cron job.
Blizztracker, RSS feeds, armory XML data, etc

While it's not super-important in my case(we're not the biggest guild ever), an ETA would be sweet.
Oh, and if you are stalling for an official API... well take your time then. That would be sweet.
Edited by Seff on 12/9/2010 12:56 AM PST
1 Dwarf Rogue
12/06/2010 2:44 PMPosted by Hulksta
Oh my GOD... Yahoo Query (YQL).. Seriously!... Get with the times, lose the dodge library and go use jQuery.. Take it from me an experienced developer over 18 years who has used Yahoo Query and jQuery from the get go :)

Really? I mean, really? With over 18 years experience, you should know the difference between a data query service and a client-side library (which encourages poor JavaScript practices).
85 Orc Warrior
Flywheel,

First of all thanks for the responses. Glad to see some interaction with us folk who use WoW Armory/WoW Community Site for companion sites and services.

Any chance we can get some more details regarding the new API?

If nothing else I have some questions...

1. What format will it be in? Any chance we could get a JSON feed since it's much more compact in size?
2. Will there be a throttle like there was previously with WoW Armory?
3. Will there be any official support and/or communication from Blizzard regarding said service?
4. Any chance we could get a rough estimate or timeline? This would help so maybe people who really rely on this data could write an HTML sc!@!*r rather then blindly waiting.
5. Any information on how the 3D modeling will work? Will it require flash or have your cookies hinted at a potential HTML5/Canvas setup? :)
6. Any chance of supporting the If-Modified-Since header so that HTTP requests can be limited both parties? This could also get rid of the need for the throttle.

Thanks again for all of the support, loving the new site.
Edited by Xtek on 12/9/2010 2:20 PM PST
Web & Mobile Team
12/09/2010 1:00 PMPosted by Xtek
1. What format will it be in? Any chance we could get a JSON feed since it's much more compact in size?
2. Will there be a throttle like there was previously with WoW Armory?
3. Will there be any official support and/or communication from Blizzard regarding said service?
4. Any chance we could get a rough estimate or timeline? This would help so maybe people who really rely on this data could write an HTML sc!@!*r rather then blindly waiting.

Hi Xtek,
We haven't spent much time on this yet, but here are some quick answers off the top of my head:
1. JSON is definitely on the table.
2. That depends, we are looking into some ways around the throttle.
3. Yes to communication, unclear on level of support coverage at this time.
4. We're aiming for a first quarter release, but don't hold me to that.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Can't wait for this to be introduced! :D
85 Orc Warrior
Flywheel,

Thanks for the answers! I added 2 more questions if you don't mind. :)

EDIT: Also I think I ran into you at BlizzCon. o/
Edited by Xtek on 12/9/2010 2:23 PM PST
Web & Mobile Team
Ah yes, so you did...

5. It will most likely continue to use Flash as that is something we've already invested a lot of effort into.
6. Anything is possible, though we're currently leaning towards another way of solving that issue. In an ideal world, you would not be throttled at all.

12/09/2010 2:18 PMPosted by Xtek
EDIT: Also I think I ran into you at BlizzCon. o/

Oh you remember that? Damn this faulty Neuralyzer!
85 Orc Warrior
Thanks again Flywheel, you are my new best friend. :)
85 Troll Druid
Flywheel I have a question too: what color is your hair? I just want to get my effigy right so that if you release a JSON API and find some way around the throttle as early as first quarter, I can worship it properly.
100 Human Warrior

Awesome news!
90 Night Elf Druid

Very cool. I am working on re-vamping my guild's website, and I would love to be able to fetch some data from the new wow armory site and integrate it.

Please keep us posted :)
80 Blood Elf Paladin
12/09/2010 2:02 PMPosted by Flywheel
4. We're aiming for a first quarter release, but don't hold me to that.

Ouch. Understood that developing the new system takes time, and hopeful that it means the end result will be really snazzy.

Any chance the old Armory could support the Cataclysm item data in the meantime? As-is, I'm unable to get some important fields for them, including name and icon.
I hope we get character model info in the character XML feeds, such as face num, skin num, hair style & color nums, etc.
83 Blood Elf Rogue
Posted by Flywheel
[quote="null"]13057934432
There has been discussion and we plan to develop something like this - what shape that will take exactly is still unknown, but we definitely want to work more closely with our fansites, this is important to us.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to this as well.
I saw that there will be guild XML feeds, YAY! Any chance this will include the guild event calendar?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]