Disc is dead, make holy pvp viable.

1 Human Priest
Honestly, there is not much left to the disc tree that even is that applicable to pvp after the Cataclysm changes. We've all talked until we are blue in the face asking for improvements. I don't think they are coming. I think we are mainly holding onto disc as the pvp tree out of nostalgia. There have been some rumors on arenajunkies.com that holy isn't so bad for pvp, so I've been giving it a whirl. I've never had so much fun on my priest! Actually having strong heals (instead of easily dispelled shields), Body and Soul for (some) mobility, and Chastise for another CC. There is no greater joy than having someone think they are getting away and then hitting them with chastise and watch them freeze in their tracks and get annihilated. I never knew 3 seconds could do so much. Holy's got problems for sure, but with a few tweaks I think it can easily surpass the garbage that is disc right now.

Some thoughts I have (please others add your input)-

1. Holy needs a good instant cast heal like disc's Penance used to be. Holy Word: Serenity could be this heal if it wasn't so hard to get into Serenity Chakra in a pvp environment. Heal is extremely dicey to even get off and you really don't want to waste time with weak Heal just to get in that Chakra. Like we've been saying in PVE, Chakra needs to be a state that is accesible with just a keybind.

2. Body and Soul needs snare resistance. It is currently way too easy to be snared and have Body and Soul do nothing.

3. Chakra, State of Mind, and Revelations are really funky and hard to use for pvp. Chakra states are hard to get into, can take away Chastise, and it is hard to stay in Chakra state. Definitely need some tidying up there. Again, keybindable Chakra states would help a ton. I may not be able to cast the correct spell to stay in state due to the unpredictable nature of pvp, it is frustrating to go to all of the work of getting in state and then have it drop because you needed to dispel instead of cast Heal needlessly just to stay in state.

4. Mana needs some tweaking. With full spirit gear, it's not terrible, but it could use improving. Something creative like Shadow's Masochism would be nice, so it isn't OP in PVE.

5. Make Inner Will usable somehow. It'd be nice to be the slippery Holy Priest living in Inner Will, but getting caught without Inner Fire up by a melee will be instant death.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Priest
Erm.. I didn't find disc that bad in PvP. It was better than Holy PvP for me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Yeah I came back last week after a several month break, played with Holy and Disc for BGs, and didn't keep the Holy spec very long. Incoming damage is just too high; you can't just keep yourself up by spamming instants anymore. Previously I was rolling a Holy pvp spec, but the best things about it was the 1 minute GS, Surge of Light, and reduced cooldown on ProM. Now that none of those exist (or are nonexclusive to Holy).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I think Holy and Disc are both working fine for PvP. Holy suffered a little from the loss of HW: Aspire, but now that Chakra's cooldown is equal to its duration, you can just Heal once and enjoy the Serenity instant heal for 30 seconds. And the Grace buff has made a huge difference for Discipline.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Come 85 no healing class is going to be able to keep anyone up by spamming instants.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
How about they make both viable for PVP. They've said they want all spec to be reasonably viable in both PVE and PVP.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Priest
I sure hope you're not QQing about pvp in post-4.0 where everything is balanced for 85 not 80...
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
1. Holy needs a good instant cast heal like disc's Penance used to be. Holy Word: Serenity could be this heal if it wasn't so hard to get into Serenity Chakra in a pvp environment. Heal is extremely dicey to even get off and you really don't want to waste time with weak Heal just to get in that Chakra. Like we've been saying in PVE, Chakra needs to be a state that is accesible with just a keybind.

Here is what I do in Holy PvP and why :

#1: Macro Chakra to prayer of mending. I constantly run recount while healing in BGs and renew / prayer of mending is about 60% of my total healing, circle of healing being another 7-8%. 15% bonus healing from those spells is better than 10% bonus crit from direct healing spells. Also, the new Cataclysm pvp 4 set healing bonus will reduce the cooldown of prayer of mending.

Now if those numbers change for arena and serenity 10% crit and ability to refresh renew becomes better, I'll just switch the macro. Getting one heal off to refresh chakra shouldn't be too hard and now, chakra as the same duration has its cooldown. Think it's hard to refresh chakra? Read my point #2 ...

#2: DO NOT spec into revelation. Even if you were using the serenity chakra, that direct heal isn't worth losing the 3 second "stun" sharing desorient DR. It's only on a 18 second cooldown and it lets you do 4 very important things : Interrupt incoming CC, Cast a heal without any fear of getting interrupted, allows you to close the gap with a mobile healer to land a fear, or cast mindcontrol on a melee bashing on you.

Why mindcontrol? Become the target becomes friendly to you (ennemy healer's can't dispel it). While the target is under your control, you can get some distance from him (jumping off ledges and bridges is a bonus) and by the time MC duration expires, chances are very high whatever snares you had on you will be gone and you can "body and soul" away.

#3: DO spec into lightwell. You can click it while silenced, interrupted and ... even stunned.

Holy PvP has become a lot more viable ... we're extremly strong in 1vs1, somewhat hard to kill in 2vs1, VERY SQUISHY in 3+ vs 1.
Edited by Pøtatoes on 12/5/2010 1:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Funny story. If you have a partner with a snare focusing his damage on a ret paladin, you can kite that paladin all day long. Just save chastise for when he pops blessing of freedom and dispel the buff. He will never catch you.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Lack of delete = grr.
Edited by Believe on 12/5/2010 2:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Ummm, if you didn't get that I am talking about 85 where your disc shield's are tiny, and penance heals for as much as a flash heal, let me explicitly state it.

Yeah, Potatoes I was thinking that speccing into revelations might be a mistake. I was hoping to get that Holy Word: Serenity instant heal, but I don't think I've ever been able to use it one time due to how crappy and dumb using Heal to get it is, LOL. I'm a Holy PVP noob.
Edited by Feedback on 12/5/2010 6:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Right now the. chastice/heal combo is really only good for dungeon's.

However playing the Call to Arms this weekend, I have done very well in holy spec, its all about dispelling yourself, keeping a chastice open. and spamming holy nova, thanks, oh and dont forget to dot them.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/05/2010 5:59 AMPosted by Feedback
I was thinking that speccing into revelations might be a mistake. I was hoping to get that Holy Word: Serenity instant heal, but I don't think I've ever been able to use it one time due to how crappy and dumb using Heal to get it is.

Remember you only need to cast Heal once - and you'll find yourself having to cast Heal a lot in 85 PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Double Post and forum does not have a way to delete it unless a moderator can. Thanks.
Edited by Sacredscythe on 12/6/2010 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Discipline is partially dead when confronted by a shaman, another priest, a mage, a warlock felhunter, a protection warrior on you but otherwise if you hide far far away in a group you can survive well due to dispels that make us vulnerable and the removal of dispel protection.

I dueled a Holy Paladin, mana burn spammed him to 0 and tried to kill him with my best burst including fiend, dots, Power Infusion and Smite spam... as long as he had undispellable Holy Power I was unable to kill it.

I dueled a mage and all they did was steal my 10k absorb shields after mastery reforging and any renews which made them invincible. The new 3 stacks of Grace works but penance is on a 10 second CD even glyphed so it's not practical to keep rebuffing Fortitude, Shadow Protection nor 3 stacks Grace every 10 seconds to protect your shields.

I dueled a shaman but it seems to be able to purge easily even if I mana burn him, they'll put up Water Shields to get mana back and wanding or poking tremor totem doesn't help when they just spam it.

I know this game is not balanced around 1v1 nor duels but these are just examples of scenarios you might encounter in PvP later. Hopefully in future patches we will get a mastery like Holy Paladins, some better mobility, better mana regeneration, removal of Mana Burn.

Wish priests got Holy Power but we're too corrupted by Shadow Priest spec... sigh.
Edited by Sacredscythe on 12/6/2010 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
12/05/2010 9:10 AMPosted by Believe
12/05/2010 5:59 AMPosted by Feedback
I was thinking that speccing into revelations might be a mistake. I was hoping to get that Holy Word: Serenity instant heal, but I don't think I've ever been able to use it one time due to how crappy and dumb using Heal to get it is.

Remember you only need to cast Heal once - and you'll find yourself having to cast Heal a lot in 85 PvP.

Cool I'll get lots of Counterspell uptime and put tons of pressure.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
Disc priests are the current best PvE and PvP healers. Yes disc is different but being good at this game is all about adapting.

I will agree that holy priest PvP needs a whole lot of looking in to. All the holy priests in my PvP guild have either gone disc to be healing gods or shadow to do something remotely useful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]