Resto druid PVP scrub... help!

85 Troll Druid
I'm trying my hand at PVP healing with my fairly new druid. I'll usually queue up and heal whatever BG I'm thrown into. I've googled the issue but much to my dismay the internet (aka first page of Google) has little to nothing about the new tech tree and tactics revolving around druid pvp.

My problem is I run out of mana frequently (something I realize is due to the recent changes for Cataclysm), and given that my gear is more or less garbage (armorylink - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/reefermon/simple) I guess I shouldn't be expecting too much, but really, how should I be conducting my heals? Any particularly beneficial glyphs I can grab? I kinda freak out and get tunnel vision on my raid party, so sometimes I forget it helps to be alive to heal them (read: I die a buttload).

A quick bit of background: I have a level 80 rogue that I haven't played in months (just came back about 3 weeks ago for Cataclysm), a level 76 shaman (that I also heal with quite easily), a few other alts and my Druid.

I nabbed the tukui addon because it's pretty sweet, but are there any other specific addons that may help? (I honestly would rather just know good methods for pvp healing.)

I tend to struggle with burst damage, and running into cooldown trouble. Granted I am only level 61.. there are a still a couple tricks my druid has yet to learn.

In the end, I just wanna be a healy tree. So chill. Haven't you always wanted to tell your friends and loved-ones that you're a tree? I bet they're real sweethearts. Their new model is a bit strange, but still - I can dig it. Help me fellow Ents! (if you aren't an Ent and want to help anyway... don't be shy!)

I'll give you a pineapple for your troubles. Have one on me.

\ | /
(#)

edit: and please feel free to critique any aspect of my druid. I'm simply looking to improve- thanks!
Edited by Reefermon on 12/4/2010 11:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
one thing's for sure, it's tough with the new healing changes. go to arenajunkies dot com and read the druid section. There's a lot of qq right now.

battleground healing for druid envolves travelform kiting away from combat, mounting, then returning to heal your partners, then kiting 40yards again. And when you're dps is clearly winning you start to cast wrath and help your dps kill something
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out that site. :)

\ | /
(#)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
First off, for pvp. Ditch Effloresence.

Not only is the 30% healing off your swiftmends worthless (really worthless) the giant puddle of healing green %!!% on the ground paints a gigantic target to any dps in your battleground that there is a druid around. That druid is healing and that druid should die.

2nd, GET NATURE'S CURE! Being able to cleanse magic is super awesome. Empowered Touch is iffy for PvPing, as you won't be casting Nourish much if at all. Also, getting off Healing Touch's before your target is bursted down is going to be tough and generally impossible when you're under fire from competent dps. Most of the time your best bets are to rely on HoTs, Swiftmend, and Regrowth.

Tukui is alright, I tried it for a while but as an addon #*%%* myself I prefer the customization of running all my addons seperately. In other words, I hate the limitation of addon packs. I use Vuhdo the most for healing.

Burst damage is always going to be a problem. We've always been vulnerable to hard switches and high bursts. Especially right now because druids lack a strong Flash Heal (Regrowth is supposed to be our fast, effective, and high mana cost heal but it heals for 1/2 as much as other healers and I don't think Blizz is going to change that) and single target Lifeblooms are only making it worse.

I don't know about the above druids suggestions... I'm not that much of a pansy I guess. Maybe they're over exaggerating the underpowered state of druids or maybe their play-style is that of a little girl, either way. I don't much care for it.

I've found that I'm a more offensively minded druid. When I'm not rolling out HoTs and pushing out heals to save my team mates I like to be in the thick of it, cat interupting, bear stunning, and cycloning healers. I especially find cycloning healers to be effective in bg's becasue it will force the dps on him to switch to the healers teamates who will most likely not have HoTs on them. A good healer will find a way to keep his teamates up or have pre-hotted them for this but you'll find that most bg players are not good or are not aware. If you follow it with a bear stun and another cylone to stop the healer from switching you can get most DPS killed before the healer can do anything.

Entangling Roots is your friend. Use it to stop those pesky melee from forcing you to heal. This means root all warriors, dk's, rogue's, hell even feral druids. If you can stop somebody from doing damage or force them to blow a cd to continue just with roots, DO IT.

As for talents I would check out my build. Like I said, I'm a more offensively minded PvP druid and so is my build. I like to moonfire/IS, push out wraths, and CC as well. So keep that in mind when you check out my build. I find mana to only be a problem on long fights but you'll know when to back off. Right now your mana problems are due to bad gear and having to rely on Regrowth probably because you lack options. It doesn't help that your teamates probably have low hp compared to what rogues in your bracket are ambush critting for and lack the brain capacity to peel dps off of you.

For glyphs... Instant Entangling Roots is amazing! You'll also need the Barkskin glyph, the 25% crit reduction from melee is no joke. You can check out my glyphs for a good glyph arrangement for PvP.

Just keep in mind that a lot of your problems are due to bad gear, no resilience and that fact that lowbie brackets are all whacked out right now with the Cataclysm dps changes. I mean, I went 37-2 on my rogue at lvl 69 because ambush can one shot people. Once you get to 85 you'll find that fights go on a lot longer, you'll have a much larger mana pool with more healing effective options to draw from, and you'll be able to play much more offensively.
Edited by Untippabull on 12/5/2010 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Wow, thank you so much for this comprehensive post! You're the best!

I really like your style too, btw. As a druid, I think it's important to use all your abilities and not just healbot (of course make sure your teammates stay up).

I will change my current spec.. thanks again! :D

\ | /
(#)
Edited by Reefermon on 12/5/2010 11:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Hey Reefer,

Just read your post and a couple of the others. I agree and disagree with some things said. Being a resto druid since Vanilla WoW, I thought I would share my knowledge of what I've gained playing one. I play a little bit differently than the guy above.

Starting off, I love the new effloresence. Sure it might give away that you are a resto druid but hey, we are resto druids since when do we die. I know it might not seem like that now only being 63, but trust me, you are the most OP healer in BGs right now. I sole-heartedly love swiftmend and have been a fan of using it in dire situations. Efflorescence gives an AoE heal to those guys who are slowed running in 1 area for a long time trying to kill another dps. You see it all the time, especially if they are fighting a DK or Rogue. It works, trust me. As well as yourself, you are a mobile healer but you can also heal through a single dps attacking you. Throw your hots up, toss up that swiftmend, proc the Eff, and let the numbers fly while u heal your team.

Also I disagree with what Untip has said about regrowth. Currently I rocket off regrowths in 1.24 seconds with them hitting for at least 11k+ heals. It takes time and gear as you acknowledged earlier. Once you get the gear you will realize how easy it is for us resto druids :). One ability that you should always have on a target is Lifebloom. Find the guy who is getting the most work done in the BG and throw it on him or even yourself, since if you don't live then neither does the other guy.

One of my favorite abilities that most druids forget about and I laugh at is Nature's Grasp. IT IS AMAZING. Those pesky rogues don't stand a chance when you pop it. Use it when that dps finally sees you standing over there healing and comes after you. Hit it, travel form, get away. Works all day long. And if they catch up to you, guess what, it's still active. Rinse and repeat :)

With the new Rated BG's coming up, being noticed as a healer, especially a resto druid, if they see a druid in normal form, guess what they already know ur a druid so any more signs of there being one doesnt really matter. With your Rated BG team if you ever get into pre-made teams, there will be 1 rule established for you being a healer, all dps keeps you alive. Like i said we are the most OP healers in BGs right now. Sure priests can bubble and bubble some more and fear and oh theres another bubble but they cant last against multiple dps at a time. Numerous times I have been in a BG with one of my lock friends and we repeatedly went 2v5, 2v6, and win because of the heals a druid can put out. Oh and instant Regrowths in tree form, oh it brings a tear to my eye.

As for spec, I am more on the defensive side than Untip. You can check mine out for an example but fyi, I use mine for raiding too, It works both ways. This doesn't go to show that I dont go offensive from time to time when the heals arent needed but they just don't hit as hard. At lvl 80 as well, there isnt much time in BGs anymore that you spend standing around NOT healing. So offensive type abilities I leave for the 2v2 Arena team spec.

If you have any questions just give me a holler.

Kookemonster
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Kookemonster,

Thank you!! That is some awesome advice and some incredibly valid points. I'd have to agree that most of my woes are more than likely due to my gear.

Everything you're mentioning sounds extremely promising and is getting me all the more excited to bring myself to level 80!

I'd probably be interested in endgame PvE content as well, but I'll definitely need to keep on the PvP grind.

One question: How important is haste for druids? When a fellow horde member is being focused down and I am waiting on some cooldowns, I feel like I have to resort to my Healing Touch. This cast time is pretty long... So I either have to use Nature's Swiftness or hope he doesn't drop.

So how would you prioritize haste in terms of other specs? I know Spirit is also fairly important to keep our MP5 as high as possible. any help would be awesome, can't thank you enough!

\ | /
(#) Pineapple for you!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/06/2010 5:59 AMPosted by Kookemonster
Hey Reefer,
Starting off, I love the new effloresence. Sure it might give away that you are a resto druid but hey, we are resto druids since when do we die. I know it might not seem like that now only being 63, but trust me, you are the most OP healer in BGs right now. I sole-heartedly love swiftmend and have been a fan of using it in dire situations. Efflorescence gives an AoE heal to those guys who are slowed running in 1 area for a long time trying to kill another dps. You see it all the time, especially if they are fighting a DK or Rogue. It works, trust me. As well as yourself, you are a mobile healer but you can also heal through a single dps attacking you. Throw your hots up, toss up that swiftmend, proc the Eff, and let the numbers fly while u heal your team.

Only problem is your teamates will chase people out of it, enemy melee will zerg into it, and the heal is worthless. 30% of a Swiftmend is not much. Lets say you swiftmend a rejuv for a 10k crit, that's only 3k healing over 7 seconds. 3k healing is not worth painting the target on your back. If you SM anything else it gets exponentially worse. The 3 points are much better spent elsewhere like for more regen or in Balance/Feral trees.

Also I disagree with what Untip has said about regrowth. Currently I rocket off regrowths in 1.24 seconds with them hitting for at least 11k+ heals. It takes time and gear as you acknowledged earlier. Once you get the gear you will realize how easy it is for us resto druids :). One ability that you should always have on a target is Lifebloom. Find the guy who is getting the most work done in the BG and throw it on him or even yourself, since if you don't live then neither does the other guy.

How the hell did you get 11k Regrowths? You must be factoring in Living Seed on crits. Our Regrowth is not even CRITTING for 11k baseline. And LB should be saved for yourself. Since we can only keep LB up on one target you should actually be carefull with it. I keep the stacks on myself for when a rogue opens on me, a dk DG's me out into the open, or the war charges and MS's. I've got a 20k crit heal about to go off on myself.

Don't get me wrong, Regrowth is going to end up being one of your main heals in PvP because it's fast. But at low levels you're going to blow through mana spamming it to keep someone up. Even at higher levels you'll have trouble spamming it to keep up with high bursts (like mages.)

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
One of my favorite abilities that most druids forget about and I laugh at is Nature's Grasp. IT IS AMAZING. Those pesky rogues don't stand a chance when you pop it. Use it when that dps finally sees you standing over there healing and comes after you. Hit it, travel form, get away. Works all day long. And if they catch up to you, guess what, it's still active. Rinse and repeat :).

Most rogues just cloak of shadows when you blow Nature's Grasp, it's on a 1m CD if they're Subt and makes them immune to the next 2 charges. Better bet is too instant root them, let them blow CoS, then pop thorns and barkskin on yourself and watch them kill themselves, HoTing or going bear. Once thorns is over or you're feeling too much pressure, bear stun->Cyclone and heal while running away. Only after their CoS is over should you then blow Nature's Grasp. Just make sure as soon as their CoS is up you Faerie Fire them so they can't get away and back into Stealth.

Nature's Grasp is much more usefull against DK's and Enhance Shamans who lack the ability to get rid of it w/o a trinket. Warriors will spin like a top to break Nature's Grasp, rogues just Cloak of Shadows making the next 2 charges worthless.

With the new Rated BG's coming up, being noticed as a healer, especially a resto druid, if they see a druid in normal form, guess what they already know ur a druid so any more signs of there being one doesnt really matter. With your Rated BG team if you ever get into pre-made teams, there will be 1 rule established for you being a healer, all dps keeps you alive. Like i said we are the most OP healers in BGs right now. Sure priests can bubble and bubble some more and fear and oh theres another bubble but they cant last against multiple dps at a time. Numerous times I have been in a BG with one of my lock friends and we repeatedly went 2v5, 2v6, and win because of the heals a druid can put out. Oh and instant Regrowths in tree form, oh it brings a tear to my eye.

Any descent boomkin only uses moomkin form against melee. Most good Moonkin druids sit in caster form too while they throw out HoTs over their team mates. But yes, if you're playing with competent dps they should know how to peel enemies off of you but that doesn't mean you don't need to learn how to take care of them yourself. Bear Stun -> Cyclone is a powerful tool. But still, sometimes discretion is key. I can't count how many times I've used some terrain, a tree, or something to block LoS while healing some DPS through a barrage of crap. Sometimes people don't even look around in BG's until they seem something that is clearly a healing spell. Being able to go unnoticed in bg's has it's benefits.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
PS - You must be smoking crack if you think we're OP right now... try playing a Shammy or a even a Pally still.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]