WoW mounts and their spectacularliness

90 Goblin Warlock
The magic carpet mounts & the helicopters were introduced into the game in BC exclusively for tailors and engineers respectively.
The mechano-hog and the flipside alliance motorcycle was introduced into WotLK and that everyone was able to ride said mount.
Even in Cataclysm, the alchemist mount (the sandstone drake) was available to all characters despite the fact that those who are not alchemists could obtain and use the mount.
NOW in MoP the jewel-crafter mounts that are obtained from the cloud serpent reputation grind are available to anyone and everyone that wishes to ride them as well as the new engineering mounts introduced in this expansion--the sky golem, depleted kyparium rocket, and the geosynchronous world spinner.

So my point is this, why are the magic carpet mounts from tailors and the engineered helicopters exclusive to the characters with the professions?
Edited by Sélfies on 3/30/2014 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree. Make the Flying Machine mounts available to non-engineers.

That was the point of this thread, right?
Edited by Fengi on 3/30/2014 1:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Exactly
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
03/30/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Sélfies
So my point is this, why are the magic carpet mounts from tailors and the engineered helicopters exclusive to the characters with the professions?

Profession perks. Want the mounts? Level the professions.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
03/30/2014 01:17 PMPosted by Mythox
Profession perks. Want the mounts? Level the professions.

Reread post (I also already have the professions).
Edited by Sélfies on 3/30/2014 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Shameful bump.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Maybe it's because craft-able mounts which can be sold are gold/time sinks in a way that the flying machine isn't.

That's one possibility.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
03/30/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Quenching
Maybe it's because craft-able mounts which can be sold are gold/time sinks in a way that the flying machine isn't.

That's one possibility.

Not sure I understand your point? Are you saying that because the other mounts take more money and more time to create make the older mounts non-account-wide?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/30/2014 01:40 PMPosted by Sélfies
03/30/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Quenching

That's one possibility.

Not sure I understand your point? Are you saying that because the other mounts take more money and more time to create make the older mounts non-account-wide?

What he's saying is that the Flying Carpets and Flying Machine mounts are like profession perks in and of themselves. They take almost no gold/time to make when compared to, say, the Sandstone Drake, or the Geosynchronous World-Spinner, and part of the reason why is because they're restricted to people who have the profession.

If blizzard were to make them usable by anyone, they'd probably increase the cost of the mats required to make them significantly.

Now, what I'd be able to get behind is a removal of the profession skill level required to actually ride the mounts, so long as you have them learned (which would still require the skill in the relevant profession).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
I just don't understand why my alts cant ride those mounts if they don't have engineering as well. It sounds kinda silly to me to have engineering on ALL on my toons to ride the mounts.

But why would cost for the mounts go up if the mats req for these older ones are from outlands?
Edited by Sélfies on 3/30/2014 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/30/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Sélfies

Because there is no grand master plan about every mount in the game and how exclusive it should be. None.

And therefore this "why" is meaningless, like MOST "why" questions.

There can only be a "why" for something if it was done intentionally, it was planned that way. Most things aren't.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I just realized in WoD we can see people in flying machines coasting against the ground.

Oh the immersion will be sweet!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
03/30/2014 03:01 PMPosted by Myrachan
I just realized in WoD we can see people in flying machines coasting against the ground.

Oh the immersion will be sweet!

You already can, unless they changed it. I used my flying machine as a ground mount leveling through Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
My position still stands: would it be feasible to allow these mount to be rideable ON ALTS if someone already has the engineering/tailoring requirement on another toon?
Edited by Sélfies on 3/30/2014 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/30/2014 05:15 PMPosted by Sélfies
My position still stands: would it be feasible to allow these mount to be rideable ON ALTS if someone already has the engineering/tailoring requirement on another toon?

It might be. It might not.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think the barrier is the profession requirement to learn it, just like how you need Cloud Serpent Riding in order to ride cloud serpents (even on alts that already have the cloud serpent learned).

So my guess is that the coding makes doing so prohibitive, unless they make the Flying Machines big gold sinks like the non-BoP mounts.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
03/30/2014 05:21 PMPosted by Morthra
So my guess is that the coding makes doing so prohibitive, unless they make the Flying Machines big gold sinks like the non-BoP mounts

But why would they need to be gold sinks and I'm not sure they correlate to the cloud serpent mounts since other profession mounts are able to be ridden on all toons--it doesn't matter if they have the skill or not. Higher end engineering mounts are this way. Why cant the older ones be just the same?

EDIT: The cloud serpent mounts are not craftables is what im addressing.
Edited by Sélfies on 3/30/2014 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
03/30/2014 02:52 PMPosted by Wandapanda
There can only be a "why" for something if it was done intentionally, it was planned that way. Most things aren't.

Sure it was planned that these mounts had restrictions for a reason, but where the game is today, shouldn't their restrictions be lifted?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I think all mounts should be account wide and usable no matter what, with the implementation of account wide mounts they said we would have freedom to swap mains and not feel tied to the one character but then they go and put in a bunch of mounts that aren't account wide :(

While you're at it Blizzard remove class mounts from the mount tab all together and have them as class specific spells in the spell book, these things have been a source of frustration for mount collectors for some time now.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
03/30/2014 05:48 PMPosted by Lethalock
I think all mounts should be account wide and usable no matter what, with the implementation of account wide mounts they said we would have freedom to swap mains and not feel tied to the one character but then they go and put in a bunch of mounts that aren't account wide :(

While you're at it Blizzard remove class mounts from the mount tab all together and have them as class specific spells in the spell book, these things have been a source of frustration for mount collectors for some time now.

Exactly. The class mounts shouldn't be shared, and your idea of moving them into the spellbook (just like running wild) really is a good idea imo. Again, in the state of how these older profession mounts stand upon, I am forced to have tailoring/engineering on ALL of my toons if I want to use the flying carpets and flying machines on all of them.
Edited by Sélfies on 3/30/2014 6:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]