PAX Beta Key Redemption Issue

Community Manager
At PAX East in Boston this weekend we’re handing out Beta keys to those who wait in line and play the Warlords of Draenor demo at the show. As the expansion is still in an internal Alpha, the keys we’re handing out are inactive, with the intention that they are redeemable for a future test phase. However, yesterday we discovered that a small amount of people were actually able to claim their keys and log in to the Alpha.

We’ve resolved the key claim issue and no further key claims should be possible. Those who were able to claim a key will need to redeem it again once the proper Beta phase begins.

We’re not looking to take action against accounts or content involved in this unintended access. We know everyone is excited to play Warlords of Draenor, is looking forward to additional information about the expansion, and we hope you’ve enjoyed what you’ve seen thus far—keeping in mind, of course, that we are still at an early testing phase.
Reply Quote
20 Worgen Hunter
How about those keys that are on Ebay?

Seems to me some people were more excited to make some money off Blizzard.
Edited by Badwolff on 4/13/2014 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I would love a beta key to try it out. I will love y'all forever if you give me one <3
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
ok
bashiok, i think you forgot to include one for me. it's alright, it's easy to forget about a 3ft creature with batting eyelashes, but please remember to add me to your super cool beta people list in the future

for i am lfr and i am the future
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
hmmm
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Thanks, Clears it up.
Reply Quote
Thank you for the update
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Badwolff
How about those keys that are on Ebay?

Seems to me some people were more excited to make some money off Blizzard.

Blizzard is pretty smart. They knew that some would sell them. I do not think they probably care that much.

At least the people who got them at pax and will use them will get to enjoy them.

You never want to focus on the people who will ruin it for the others.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
04/13/2014 02:14 PMPosted by Scaarie
Blizzard is pretty smart. They knew that some would sell them. I do not think they probably care that much.

The bad part of it is, some people have 5 or more keys. It seems there was no screening in handing keys out? Visit booth, get a key. come back few others later, get another one?
Edited by Omegal on 4/13/2014 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Death Knight
I think it could be handled in the future by showing Photo ID, and entering their own name and Battle.net account email details via keyboard through a Community Manager iPad connected to the Blizzard servers.

That could potentially curb repeated beta key handouts. Doing it that way also means manually flagging the account instead of a beta key.
Edited by Blizzplanet on 4/13/2014 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Druid
An amicable way to resolve it. /salute

Hope to see more of WoD soon. What I saw looked good, even if I had already seen most of it at the Blizzard booth at DreamHack!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
IMO, giving keys at PAX was not a good idea, a lot of people would be taking them and selling them for quick cash.
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Kelvv
IMO, giving keys at PAX was not a good idea, a lot of people would be taking them and selling them for quick cash.

Give Kelvv as key and a toaster.

As Pandarens we need info on WoD !

Sending best tester to find info !

/Highpaw
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Give me one

I've been playing since vanilla, worlds first Kel Thuzad and C'Thun kill

plus my dad works at Blizzard
Reply Quote
20 Worgen Hunter
04/13/2014 02:14 PMPosted by Scaarie
You never want to focus on the people who will ruin it for the others.

Nah. I want to know what's going through the head of the corporation at Blizzard. It seems to me there are some issues near the top when it comes to decision making and how horrible it's becoming and this is just another part of it.

As people said, if they "knew" people would sell the keys, why not make it account bound and if you don't have a Warcraft account you don't get a key? I suspect that Blizzard probably supplied tablets to all their employees at PaxEast, so it's quite easily done.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I don't care so much about getting into beta, but I desperately wanted to go to PAX, tickets went so fast. :c
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
04/13/2014 03:00 PMPosted by Zedara
04/13/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Kelvv

Give Kelvv as key and a toaster.

As Pandarens we need info on WoD !

Sending best tester to find info !

/Highpaw

As much as I want a Beta Key, a part of me doesn't want it because that's taking a good part of the mystery come launch.

I never got a Beta invite to any WoW expansion and I found that I enjoyed the game more because of it because I didn't know what was there for me to do.

That being said, I do want to do some serious raiding and PvP in WoD so I need to at least need to look into it a lil bit so I know what gear I need and what's the best spec/stat combo so I can make the most out of my character.

Also if I got a Beta key I would have to record it and try out that YouTube stuff. :p
Reply Quote
20 Worgen Hunter
04/13/2014 03:23 PMPosted by Kelvv
Also if I got a Beta key I would have to record it and try out that YouTube stuff. :p
All the serious people are doing twitch streaming now, as well as the fact that YouTube's new policies have driven off a ton of streamers and video makers recently.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]