Holy Pally in PvP terrible since 4.0.3a

90 Blood Elf Paladin
It goes without saying that Holy Paladins were definitely a tad overpowered in 4.0.3. There was a never ending flow of Holy Power due to Blessed Life, as long as you were being attacked, so you always had at least one charge of Holy Power. You could then just spam Word of Glory every 2 seconds and get healed for 3k + another 4k+ from Protector of the Innocent. Naturally, with a few stuns and silences, you'd still die.

In 4.0.3a, both of these elements were nerfed excessively. Protector of the Innocent only heals you now when you heal someone else (which means it is absolutely useless if you're alone). Second, Blessed Life can only proc once every 8 seconds now. So now you have a shortage of Holy Power in PvP and also a shortage of self-heals.

Let's say you're healing one other person. If you Beacon of Light on them, you gain Holy Power through Tower of Radiance (Healing the target of your Beacon of Light with Flash of Light, Holy Light, or Divine Light has a 100% chance to generate a charge of Holy Power). This too is useless for PvP. You're already healing them, so the Beacon of Light does nothing. However, if you put Beacon of Light on yourself, then you don't gain Holy Power through FoL, HL, or DL when you heal your target, only when you heal yourself (and we come full circle, because if you're healing yourself with beacon of light on you, then Protector of the Innocent doesn't proc).

Once you get stunned or silenced, there's absolutely no way to recover from the damage unless Divine Shield is up. Before 4.0.3a, you could at least use Word of Glory, because sitting through the silence/stun, you'd rack up 3 charges of Holy Power, and you'd recover with Word of Glory + Protector of the Innocent. Now you have Holy Shock -> Word of Glory (2 charges -- one from getting hit, one from holy shock). Although Holy Power gains lag pretty hard, so doing Holy Shock -> Word of Glory will probably actually cast Word of Glory as if you only had 1 Holy Power up.

Anything with a cast time is pretty worthless if you're being focused. The amount of stuns, silences, lockouts, interrupts, and pushback is far too much. Paladins have very, very little absorption (through useless mastery -- a whole 10% of my healing done) and no HoTs (save for Long Word glyph, which is also useless).

I'd have more self healing and holy power as Retribution than I do currently as Holy. Sad, sad state.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Shaman
While i agree that pallies were significantly nerfed, i dont think that those changes are that were not necessary. Pallies were too OP.

What i am more concered about is nerf to Holy Shock. Strong instance casts are necessary for Pally PvP because they dont have a strong HoT like Druids and Holy Priests, or shield like Disc or Earth Shield like Shammies, so they cant really survive through damage once they are stunned.

Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Holy paladins are still really strong in PvP. It should be pretty apparent at lvl85.
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2010 8:06 PMPosted by Josephine

Let's say you're healing one other person. If you Beacon of Light on them, you gain Holy Power through Tower of Radiance (Healing the target of your Beacon of Light with Flash of Light, Holy Light, or Divine Light has a 100% chance to generate a charge of Holy Power). This too is useless for PvP. You're already healing them, so the Beacon of Light does nothing.

You can't look at Beacon as a primarily 2 person heal anymore. Getting charges of holy power is vital so that you can use WoG as much as you can to reduce your reliance on cast time heals. You can't expect for Blessed Life to provide the majority of holy power. You have to you use skill in moving Beacon to the most useful place and keeping it up if dispelled. If you don't use Beacon wisely, yea you will think Holy is terrible.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
Holy paladin PvP has been absolutely destroyed. They need to make blessed life 4 seconds and restore holy shock to something even remotely useful in PvP AND PvE
Reply Quote
It's a little something called "Knowing how to play". If you're getting stunned and dying, your team is idiotic. However, stuns and silences are the only way to kill a holy paladin. We should be able to die when that happens.

Holy paladins are no longer OP monsters that it takes a minimum of five people to kill. That is correct. But if you know how to not stand out and die, then you do just fine. Like every other class.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
your kidding. holy paladins have to use mana now? lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
yah i have no problem in bg's. just have to know how to manage your spells and know when to use them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think its about changing the way we play.

initially I was riding straight into the middle of the Ally group, and I could generally keep myself alive whilst the Dps came in behind and cleaned them up one at a time whilst they were all focused on me.
OR
I could grab the flag regardless of the defence and get my self back to Mid ( or where ever the bulk of my team were) with few dramas.

Now im a dead man if I try either of these things.

I guess we were not meant to do these things, now im back to being more subtle.

I f I do get caught by a few DPS I know im dead and just try to stay alive long enough to move them out of posistion
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I agree to some extent. I thought holy paladins were too op post 4.0.1 and I stopped playing mine but I also think the nerfs were a bit excessive. There's nothing wrong with Blessed Life as 4 or even 6 seconds, 8 is just a bit too much. I guess one could use Crusader Strike, however you have to be in melee range and the mana cost is high. Healers need instant casts, because we are tunneled quite often and any opponent/s worth their salt will interrupt any cast you put off.

But, like I said, I only agree to an extent. Apparently holy paladins are very strong healers at 85, and definitely more so than priests. I'm kind of bitter that I have to make my paladin my main in Cata (for a while at least) over my beloved priest.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I've had zero issues in healing with the new mechanics. I havent played much in the last couple weeks just because this is an alt, but its fun to heal on a pally now once you figure out the spells and how to use them. The days of hitting one button are over at last, and I for one am very glad. I've even been able to do some dps during slow times when healing isnt needed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]