Protection Pallies are fun to Level!

81 Blood Elf Paladin
I have leveled the last 10 levels as a Protection Paladin and am having a blast! It much more satisfying than Retribution, at least currently.

My question is this - Have you had the same experience or has leveling Protection felt boring/tedious to you?
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
tanking in general is fun
in MY opinion retrib is just boreing!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Ret is absolutely terrible. I can't play it for more than a few minutes before I switch back to Prot.

Prot gets faster queues, has a lot more to cast, is a lot more resilient, still deals great damage AND can pull like 8 mobs at once and drop em all without losing more than 25% of my health.

The only thing I miss about Ret is the movespeed bonus, which makes a big difference but crusader aura will fix that.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
that too you can get to 80 fast via dungeon grinding
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Rets damage is highly reliant on RNG, which doesn't effect long fights as much, but when you are fighting mobs one at a time it can get pretty frustrating waiting for procs that never come and overwhelming when you get stuff like 4 art of wars in a row.

I switched to holy for leveling and havent looked back yet :3

Also, pulling 10 different mobs and killing them all brings much satisfaction, and seeing big shield of righteous crits make my eyes sparkle O.O
Edited by Velcat on 12/5/2010 8:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
12/05/2010 8:44 PMPosted by Velcat
Rets damage is highly reliant on RNG, which doesn't effect long fights as much, but when you are fighting mobs one at a time it can get pretty frustrating waiting for procs that never come and overwhelming when you get stuff like 4 art of wars in a row.

I switched to holy for leveling and havent looked back yet :3

Also, pulling 10 different mobs and killing them all brings much satisfaction, and seeing big shield of righteous crits make my eyes sparkle O.O

LoL, Maybe its the gear thats holding you back from unleashing your epic DPS through mobs easily as cake in Ret spec.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I've leveled 3 prot pallies to 80, and have another that is 54. (And by leveled, I mean prot from 10 onward...) This toon, for example, was rolled when BC launched, and stayed prot the entire time. There were days it sucked--oh god, BC was painful to solo, back before they changed sanc to give mana back on hit. I started, mostly because I'm stubborn and hate healing, but also because our guild had terrible tanks too. But I fell in love with the awesome survivability, especially after I learned to play the class.

I tell you though, I loved leveling them once they changed the talents and gave sanc the mana return. (Were we overpowered before the Cata talent change--hell yes--my record in a fight was something like 42 npcs, my level, while soloing.) I'm not as keen on some of the tanking changes, to be honest, but I cant see myself spec'ing anything but prot--even if I never hit a dungeon queue. In fact, tomorrow, once the cata stuff goes live, this character will be headed for mount hyjal and 85... :} There's something epic about feeling like a god when you play, and thats how prot is for me....
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I've been prot ever since Dec 2005 when I rolled myself here. It's been painful to level at times, but that was before the changes. Just to see how it worked, I rolled a new pally (just for lulz) and leveled it to 20. It was fun as hell.

I'm excited to level myself from 80-85 as prot. I've already done a few quests to test out how world killing feels. It feels DAMN GOOD. Do note, it is slower than ret at killing (of course), but you're much more durable and don't have to heal as much. I suggest never wasting holy power on WoG unless you're going to die (this is possible if you pull too many world mobs in Cata), and just finish off the mobs and hard cast Holy Light with the Crusade talent that makes it heal for 300% more when you kill a target that yields experience or honour.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]