Druid or Paladin: Time is running out!

74 Troll Druid
Topic. I've got a level 80 Paladin ready to go Holy for Cataclysm. I also have a level 74 druid who I can easily get ready for Cataclysm by the end of the day.

My situation is: I'm kinda the raid tank healer. I know there aren't really any class specific healing jobs anymore, but I run with a resto druid already and I try to focus more on the tanks. The deal is if I change from my Paladin to my Druid, I have to be able to heal my tanks the same way.

The only problem is, like I said before: I run with a resto druid already, and I think one of our 10 man tanks is also a bear. I feel like I'd be unbalancing the 10 man if I switched (to the point where nobody might be taking caster plate gear, but I can't stand the BE casting animation anymore and I don't like the tauren model, and no, I'm not making a female character). Also, I literally cannot afford to race change. Money is super tight. Also, I've really kind of enjoyed the freedom of druid healing (more instant casts, less standing and casting, though the new 4.0 Holy Paladin model is better in that regards).

Unfortunately, my time to make a decision is almost out. I need to make a decision and be in the running as my guild pushes to 85. I just can't seem to decide. So now, I turn to the community to help me. Druid or Paladin, OMG HALP!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Not to be biased, but i would say paladin. It has a lot of spells and abilities that help it in a raid and in heroics, and i think they're better than a rdrood. it stands and casts more and has the greater chance to oom, but played right i feel that they can be better tank healers.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Herp derp hurr durr....
Pallies have always been great tank healers.. and they have so much things to get mana back, innervate only giving you back like 10% max mana... If you have mana issues as a holy pally, uninstall this game asap.
Holy paladin right now is the best healer, but you never know when druids are going to get buffed.. Quick STRONG heals vs quick but half the heal things like Flash of Light or Divine Light is doing.
Edited by Bigjuicy on 12/6/2010 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
12/06/2010 7:09 AMPosted by Bigjuicy
Herp derp hurr durr....
Pallies have always been great tank healers.. and they have so much things to get mana back, innervate only giving you back like 10% max mana... If you have mana issues as a holy pally, uninstall this game asap.
Holy paladin right now is the best healer, but you never know when druids are going to get buffed.. Quick STRONG heals vs quick but half the heal things like Flash of Light or Divine Light is doing.

Because of Paladin's lack of AOE healing, we were great single target healers. As of now, Druids are pretty good at them too.

Also, the comment that we have 'so much things to get mana back' is kind of incorrect. We have Judgement, which is nice but it's not like we're all using Divine Plea very much as of recently.

Edit: Taurens aren't healers. However, Druids are.
Edited by Practical on 12/6/2010 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest

Because of Paladin's lack of AOE healing, we were great single target healers. As of now, Taurens are pretty good at them too.

As of tonight this is no longer true. If Holy Radiance is anything like it was in some of the beta logs then I wouldn't be suprised to see paladins out raid healing other classes.

Tank healing on a druid is entirely possible and very strong. If you are just going to run regular modes for the most part then I see no problem whatsoever with DruidX2. However, the reason I'd go with paladin is for something Blizzard really loves emphasizing -- healing diversity. The synergy between holy paladin/resto druid can be incredible, as you probley already know.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
12/06/2010 9:03 AMPosted by Waffletime

As of tonight this is no longer true. If Holy Radiance is anything like it was in some of the beta logs then I wouldn't be suprised to see paladins out raid healing other classes.

Tank healing on a druid is entirely possible and very strong. If you are just going to run regular modes for the most part then I see no problem whatsoever with DruidX2. However, the reason I'd go with paladin is for something Blizzard really loves emphasizing -- healing diversity. The synergy between holy paladin/resto druid can be incredible, as you probley already know.

Holy Radiance was nerfed some time ago.

The thing is, Paladins are still burst healers. Hence, our very long cooldown on HR. We retain the nice healing of burst damage because we have *so* many single target healers, but we also now have the convenience to do some AOE healing through HR.

Though I imagine using HR for every AOE raid damage wouldn't be as efficient, very much in the same way that using Divine light for merely a 10% loss in HP would be foolish.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
Honestly, it doesn't matter as long as you are able to play both well, that is what the raid would ask of you. IMO, play the one that you enjoy playing most.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I definately agree that we will still see paladins as *the* tank healer. Even with changes to beacon, Tower of Radiance just screams tank healer. However, I don't know if id mark HR up to being a mere convenience. Yes it was nerfed, but in the same light as every other healers identical AoE heal spell was -- DR on a lot of targets. I'd be willing to bet we see a huge chunk of paladin healing coming from this spell nonetheless; I guess I'd look at something like a healing stream totem as being more of a "convenience".
Edited by Waffletime on 12/6/2010 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
12/06/2010 9:14 AMPosted by Waffletime
I definately agree that we will still see paladins as *the* tank healer. Even with changes to beacon, Tower of Radiance just screams tank healer. However, I don't know if id mark HR up to being a mere convenience. Yes it was nerfed, but in the same light as every other healers identical AoE heal spell was -- DR on a lot of targets. I'd be willing to bet we see a huge chunk of paladin healing coming from this spell nonetheless; I guess I'd look at something like a healing stream totem as being more of a "convenience".

What I mean to say is, if I am healing in a raid and I see 10% of everyone's health get docked off, I know that HR would be overkill. I'll let the Druid use WG for that, unless he can't, in which case we need to assess whether if single target healing people would be fast (Hello Day break!) or I should blow HR.

If I see the raid's health drop by 20-30%, I'll be more inclined to use HR because I know it'll heal for a truckload and that amount will be effectively healed for rather than half of it being overhealing.

The long CD dictates that the spell itself is powerful, we know this already. That said HR would be probably smart to use that CD for the right situation.

Not taking away that it's not strong, I'm just explaining why it is.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/06/2010 6:35 AMPosted by Coruorn
The only problem is, like I said before: I run with a resto druid already, and I think one of our 10 man tanks is also a bear. I feel like I'd be unbalancing the 10 man if I switched (to the point where nobody might be taking caster plate gear...

Well having an all Druid Raid is completely possible. If you need ranged get a Moonkin (Balance), if you need a tank get a Bear (Feral), if you need a healer get a Tree (Restoration) and if you need a melee DPS you can get a cat (Feral again).

I'd like to see a World First all druid 10 man raid or something to that effect so game designers can see that Pures classes: Warlock, Mage, Hunter, Rogue need more options than just being able to DPS differently and do more damage compared to DPS specced hybrids. Not to mention the long queue times one has to suffer as a Pure. The real only options are to reroll for them.

I have no idea why Druids have so many options in this game. You basically roll a druid and you never have to roll anything else unless you're bored. Working on mine atm.

Hope that makes sense, good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Paladin would be the best choice in my opinion.

And I would recommend a prot offspec. Bear tanks in the beta had a little harder time mastering the new threat model in levels 81-85, so having a prot offspec may come in quite handy while your group is getting used to all the Cataclysm changes. I copied over my level 80 prot/holy pally into the beta - leveling prot was quick, easy and really fun.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]