When DPS pull, Healers and Tanks Unite

47 Tauren Warrior
So while levelling I've come across a lot of bad players... A LOT. Every once and a while though you come across a player who impresses you.

I've been leveling prot. Doing instances getting good gear, topping the DPS charts and learning all the new level adjusted instances. I fly through most instances, I've seen all of them before in vanilla and am quite familiar with all of them, I usually chain pull the whole thing and only slow down when the healer is low on mana.

It's been fun except when you get those DPS who aren't happy with how fast you are pulling. Really? I'm pulling about as fast as I can run and still it's not good enough? So this DPS *cough* male undead warlock *cough* starts pulling large packs dotting them up and moving on to the next pack right away expecting me to follow behind him and pull the stuff off of him after he's doted them up. Well he died A LOT. Why cause not only did I stop pulling the mobs off him but the healer stopped healing him. It's not that the healer couldn't heal him it's not that I couldn't pull the mobs off him. It's that we wanted to teach him a lesson.

Long story short, he nerd rage quite and we got a new DPS.

This healer really impressed me so, thank you healers for working with your tanks in making this game a better place.
Edited by Fullmetalcow on 12/6/2010 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Mage
That probably wasn't really a philosophical decision in support of you as a tank, but rather a self-preservation call. No healer is going to start spamming heals on anyone being such a moron ... you'd die faster than they would.
Reply Quote
I wish I could do that, but my healer instinct runs so deep that once I see health bars drop, I instinctively fill them up, whether the person deserves heals or not =(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
As a tank, nothing makes me angrier than DPS who pull. It'd be one thing if they knew how to pull correctly, but I have yet to run across one that does.

Usually I'll ask them nicely to stop once, less nicely a second time and after that I'll go and stand by the healer. Usually they're too nice to let the idiot DPS die. =(

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
princess tanks and healers always amuse me
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
Mages are tanks because we get Mirror Images, Iceblock, Ice Barrier, Mana Shield, Replenishment and can kite tanks with increased threat in Ice Armor. The Paladin Protection build is probably fire because you get old Argent Defender in form of Cauterize. The Druid tanking spec seems to be Arcane because of instant invisibility and Prowl stealth.

I'll be queueing up and messing up dungeon runs for everyone as fast as the debuff wears off. Just pull with ice lance and Iceblock/Invisibility>>Leave group for lots of fun.
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Mage
12/06/2010 1:28 PMPosted by Swampdonkeys
princess tanks and healers always amuse me

Get ready to say that from the graveyard in a few hours. Cataclysm dungeons = dead baddies.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
12/06/2010 12:50 PMPosted by Flintte
I wish I could do that, but my healer instinct runs so deep that once I see health bars drop, I instinctively fill them up, whether the person deserves heals or not =(

I do this too, even when I tell myself not to. Yesterday I had a rogue tell the group he had to go eat dinner in the middle of a run. He put himself on follow, linked to me and just left. I was going to initiate a vote kick, but figured I'd let him die to whatever AoE damage came in (not all that much in UP). But, like an idiot, I automatically just healed him when he took damage. As it turns out, he was only gone for a short while and did amazing dps when he was actually playing, so I didn't really mind.

Sometimes I heal dps who habitually and purposely pull aggro just to see if I can, because chain running the same instances non-stop for JPs gets really boring.
Reply Quote
When DPS pull, and it does not immediately result in people watching them die, pointing, and laughing, I leave to find a new group. Accidents happen, doing it intentionally is unthinkable.
Reply Quote
12/06/2010 5:33 PMPosted by Deceptiveito
Mages are tanks because we get Mirror Images, Iceblock, Ice Barrier, Mana Shield, Replenishment and can kite tanks with increased threat in Ice Armor. The Paladin Protection build is probably fire because you get old Argent Defender in form of Cauterize. The Druid tanking spec seems to be Arcane because of instant invisibility and Prowl stealth.

I'll be queueing up and messing up dungeon runs for everyone as fast as the debuff wears off. Just pull with ice lance and Iceblock/Invisibility>>Leave group for lots of fun.

The fun'll be trying to Life Grip you into the fray before you leave the part.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
12/06/2010 12:50 PMPosted by Flintte

^This.

It is a curse. I feel your pain. I'm getting better though :)
Especially with bads who pull and stand in @#@% on the ground in Throne of Tides. I welcome dungeon mechanics with open arms, and I hope it either teaches players how to do things right, or purges them from gameplay altogether :P
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
I agree with OP, here. Thanks to healers who don't heal them. And I hope the ones that instinctually heal them can find a way to break the habit. People pulling for me is almost a pet peeve and recently I've gotten so far as to put my DPS gear on, switch stances and specs, and say "If you're going to pull, you might as well just tank, too," to my friendly 'helpful' group members. I'll agree, I'm a jerk for doing it, but... If the group members had some semblance of patience to wait for me to group stuff up and at least hit them, things would go faster than if they pull and cause a giant CF.

So, once again, thank you to all the healers that prefer to watch stupid people die in their own stupid and impatient mistakes.
Reply Quote
If it's in the best interest of the group to heal them (ie: the tank is gonna pick them up, or we're all going to be getting into combat regardless) then I'll heal.

If the idiot is running off on his own and nobody is following then I don't bother. All that will happen is me getting heal aggro and dying.

If people don't like working as a group, they shouldn't join dungeons. There's tons of solo content in this game. People telling you to cooperate with your group != being primadonnas.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have always had the rule that if you pull on purpose and you are not the tank you die and have to run back. When I tank, which is rarely, and someone pulls on purpose I ask the healer not to heal them as well. I tend to like a little organization in my runs, meaning one person pulls and that person is specced for tank.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]