The 17 Hours-ly Thread[12.06.10]

85 Undead Warrior
Welcome to the week, ladies and gents, and the last 17 hours before Wrath of the Lich King is officially closed and a new chapter under a new set of very large, fiery wings opens under the title of "Cataclysm". Are you stoked or what?!

As I said on Friday, this Daily Thread is dedicated to and brought to you in part by all of your questions you asked on the Fridaily Thread about Cataclysm and information you wanted to know before the launch happened. So, we'll go through those questions for you now!

12/03/2010 7:12 AMPosted by Ornasse
Question 1: Why are Draenei getting shafted for another full expansion?
Well, Ornasse, while it definitely sucks a bit for our space goat friends on Azuremyst Isle, it makes some sense if you think about it. This expansion was really focused on a return to the old world to bring it up to speed with the last six in-game years. Because the Blood Elf and Draenei starting areas are technically not on the Old World (they're actually on the same world servers as Outland), they got skipped over. As far as any new classes, the only two options for Draenei at the time was either Druid, which isn't bound to happen for a race that is so wholly devoted to the Light, and Warlock, which... isn't bound to happen for a race that is so wholly devoted to killing the Burning Legion, they kind of got passed over. Sorry. =\

12/03/2010 7:39 AMPosted by Muhata
Will professions be interesting to do? Or will Archeology be the only thing of interest? Will the other professions just be grindtown to get to the max only to have a pitiful amount of gear to be made?
Great question, Muhata. While I didn't really have a chance to mess around with the professions as much as I'd like to on the Beta for Cataclysm, I did get a chance to browse around at some of the new changes. Archaeology will of course be a huge hit for players because of it's new shininess, several of the other professions are getting some nice upgrades as well. Some examples include the Loot-a-rang, your very own Personal World Destroyer, and the ability to craft specific "Cogwheels" for Engineering goggles such as +209 Haste Rating wheels, Fist weapons created by Jewelcrafters, Vial of the Sands for the Alchemists, and many many others.

From what I've seen of the crafting? Most of the gear the crafters can make are right up there with "This will get you into Heroics" gear (ilvl 339) and "This comes from Raids" gear (ilvl 359). And if what Blizzard said is true, that will continue to happen as new tiers of content open up.

The quotes are temporarily broken and will only link two quotes at a time, so I'll improvise from here.

Saino asked:
Cataclysm question: What will be the new daily hub in Cataclysm? (Like the Argent Tournament and Quel'Thalas was).
Actually, much like Quel'Thalas was, Tol Barad will be a rather large hub of Daily Quests when your faction owns it, which will give even those strictly PvE a reason to fight in the battle. That being said, there will likely be small hubs at the new factions' hometowns with a few dailies here and there, but I don't believe there is a replacement for the Argent Tournament (yet). So get in the fight for Tol Barad, there should be SEVERAL Daily Quests there.

Sitika asked:
Question: Will 85 raiding really be as hard as we keep hearing, or is it just a case of Wrath being too easy and the younguns just can't hang with smaller pulls and CC?
No, they're really that hard. Even HEROICS are that hard. The designers weren't kidding when they said they're going back to CCs being important, and even veteran players from "the good ol' days" really had to fight for it. Heroics will be, for some time, not something you'll really want to PuG, and raids will not be PuGable for any time in the foreseeable future, especially on Wyrmrest Accord. That being said, if you get a smart group that knows how to use their CCs correctly and not break them, and knows all their tricks to keep a fight under control (I'm looking at you, Mages and Ring of Frost), they'll very much be doable. They may just be wipefests while people get used to them.

(cont next post)
Edited by Kaahn on 12/6/2010 6:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Those were the questions you asked! Hopefully you'll find those answers were what you wanted/needed to know before the big launch event tonight!

So, for our very last Topic of the Day before we move into Cataclysm:

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Are YOU going to a midnight launch event locally? Or will you be at home, nice and cozy and out of the cold, waiting for 12:00AM PST?

This is the Daily Thread, signing Wrath of the Lich King off with a salute.

EDIT: And don't forget, readers! With the Launch of Cataclysm, I'm sure there will be a heap of technical issues getting onto the servers (though we certainly hope not). If it turns out you'll need to jump through hoops, keep an eye on the server forums, where the Daily Thread staff will do our best to guide you through it like we did with 4.0.1.
Edited by Kaahn on 12/6/2010 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/06/2010 6:04 AMPosted by Kaahn

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Are YOU going to a midnight launch event locally? Or will you be at home, nice and cozy and out of the cold, waiting for 12:00AM PST?

No. I have class in the morning. I also don't know if any place near where I live is doing a midnight launch, and even if I did, I have no means of getting there. (yay small-town life)

I'll probably wind up getting it later on during the week.

Also, let's start the replies off with an obligatory Jadoth hug! *hugs everyone*
Edited by Jadoth on 12/6/2010 6:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Yep, got my confirmation message yesterday to be at the store at 10PM. Granted, I've got to work tomarrow so I'm going straight to bed once this day is done.

My first midnight release event, but I'm not really looking forward to it. Quite a nasty cold front here and waiting around for 2 hours just to grab and go isn't really appealing to me.

I actually put in for time off tomarrow, but after I realized I was taking time off work for nothing more than a video game I pulled that request. Taking time off for a game? What was I thinking?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
12/06/2010 6:38 AMPosted by Lakami
I actually put in for time off tomarrow, but after I realized I was taking time off work for nothing more than a video game I pulled that request. Taking time off for a game? What was I thinking?

If you're me, you were thinking you needed to burn your paid vacation time before the end of the year, and the Cata release (and the day after) was as good as any. That's right. Paid. Vacation. To play Cataclysm. *grin*
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Dont you just love the highlight and quote button that pops up? I wish other message boards implement something as convenient as that.

I will be asleep. I will be at work tomorrow. And, thus, I will not be able to play till I get home tomorrow. And I hope Kaahn is prepared to lead us to victory! Its kind of sad that im excited to be able to CC. Druids across the realms fought hard to get entangling roots to work indoors because we couldnt CC effectivly in TBC. (Yes, we have cyclone, but that really should be used for emergencies as since its 6 secs as well as makes the target immune to everything)

We get entangling roots to be used indoors...only to have nothing really needing to be entangled.

Not anymore! Come my druid friends, let us rejoice as we SOLAR BEAM things to dust, entangle those nasty melee things till they cry, and our feral friends charge us into battle with their group feral charge roar thing!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

I got a digital preorder the day they became available, and I'm glad I did since a nasty cold front came in last night and I'd rather not have to go out in those temperatures, especially at night when it'll only be worse.

I've yet to go to a midnight release, since I started playing in the middle of BC and I had WotLK shipped overnight to my house, but from what I've heard from RL friends I'm not missing anything particularly interesting.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage

I certainly will be going. If I get too cold, I'll just throw a Living Bomb on one of the other customers to keep warm.

And I can't wait to actually be required to polymorph some mobs in order to not wipe. I'll feel so important :D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
If you're me, you were thinking you needed to burn your paid vacation time before the end of the year, and the Cata release (and the day after) was as good as any. That's right. Paid. Vacation. To play Cataclysm. *grin*

Ah, but my vacation time rolls over. I'll be saving it to go see the Stockholm Symphony performing Final Fantasy music in Chicago next year.

Edit: This here - http://ffdistantworlds.com/
Edited by Lakami on 12/6/2010 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
12/06/2010 7:04 AMPosted by Lakami

Ah, but my vacation time rolls over. I'll be saving it to go see the Stockholm Symphony performing Final Fantasy music in Chicago next year.

Edit: This here - http://ffdistantworlds.com/

See, they told us about half-way through November that our vacation wasn't carrying over. Due to being short handed on the helpdesk, we can only have one person on vacation a day, or we get swamped beyond reasoning. And most of December was already taken...

I have 4 days left of vacation I just can't spend... =|
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/06/2010 7:35 AMPosted by Kaahn
I have 4 days left of vacation I just can't spend... =|

Ah, that's a shame. At least you can get it before it disappears though.
I can’t believe I’m admitting I’m going to travel all the way up to Chicago to see a Symphony.

Cultured Cow is cultured?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
12/06/2010 7:44 AMPosted by Lakami

Ah, that's a shame. At least you can get it before it disappears though.
I can’t believe I’m admitting I’m going to travel all the way up to Chicago to see a Symphony.

Cultured Cow is cultured?

Hardly. You're traveling all the way up to Chicago to see a Symphony---

---Play Video Game music.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/06/2010 7:46 AMPosted by Kaahn
Hardly. You're traveling all the way up to Chicago to see a Symphony---

---Play Video Game music.

Oh good, I'm safe then. I already have enough people questiong my lifestyle when they find out how much I spend on clothes, shoes and household items....
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage

This is the Daily Thread, signing Wrath of the Lich King off with a salute.

I've got my cata installed already. Just need to wait for midnight.

And then there will be much flying.

And more exploring.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I was going to a midnight launch party.. However, I decided against it when I realized I could get the digital download and not have to mingle with a bunch of germ laden folks who decided to go to Gamestop with horrendous bronchial infections, colds, chicken pox, raging impetigo,mono, influenza, Nile River Virus, Hemoragic Fevers...(whatever...) so I could catch it.
Oh and I don't have stand in line in the freezing weather or pay taxes on it or spend gas money with the digital download.
Happy days are again! Welcome Deathwing! YAY!!!!! (Sorry on new meds....side effects are giddiness and over optimism.)
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I'm not crazy. I just have it pre-ordered.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
Yay! Jadoth hugs!

Well, my friend (who plays Kolohe) and I were going to go to a midnight release, until we found out there were no more Collector's Ed's to reserved. So we're gonna do what we did for the Wrath Expansion... drive to every single Wal-Mart until we find one :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/06/2010 8:28 AMPosted by Krenk
And then fight Kaahn to the death to see which of our Goblin Shamans will be the most Epic. Spanners at 10 paces!

Silly Cultist Krenk, don't you know the only Epic Shaman are Tauren?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
12/06/2010 8:28 AMPosted by Krenk
And then fight Kaahn to the death to see which of our Goblin Shamans will be the most Epic. Spanners at 10 paces!

*hurls Spanner*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]