Is Long Arm of the Law worth taking?

85 Tauren Paladin
I see that this talent is part of the recommended Ret spec, but I'm sort of curious why it's necessary (or is it just filler?). I like the idea of having a mini-Charge ability, I suppose, but it seems like Eye for an Eye would be much more worthwhile in terms of damage.

So is it mainly filler, or is it really an important talent? Are you supposed to take it as soon as it's available?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
IMO, it is worth taking.

If you're a Ret pally, chances are you won't be taking direct magical damage - and even then, Eye for an Eye is only a 40% (I think) chance of going off. Long Arm of the Law is always there.

The extra speed boost can be helpful in some situations. Remember, a gap closer can also be a gap opener. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pretty much what Farranor said. Judge enemies to get into melee range faster for more dps.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Thanks. I put a point into Eye for an Eye just to open the tier 3 talents, and then I put my latest point in the talent to enhance HoW/AW. I think my next two points will go into Long Arm, but I don't think I need to respec just for that. The one point in Eye will stay there anyway, probably. I'll fill in the Wrath talent after I get Long Arm.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I love this talent. Plus it will be good on bosses where there is a lot of movement.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Eye for an eye is a very marginal talent. Long arm of the law is essential. Anything that increases your time on target is a top tier talent for melée dps. While laotl is only marginally effective in pvp (for which it was designed, ironically), it is fantastic for pve.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Ok, I couldn't resist so I respecced. Two things:

1. The speed boost sound is a little annoying. I have to live with that for the rest of my life? I start every fight with Judgment.

2. Does it stack with Pursuit of Justice or override it?
Edited by Kuyra on 12/5/2010 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
12/05/2010 11:02 PMPosted by Kuyra

1. The speed boost sound is a little annoying. I have to live with that for the rest of my life?

2. I don't really seem to be moving that much faster. Does it stack with Pursuit of Justice?

Are you NEW to wow?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/05/2010 11:03 PMPosted by Zaknafeind

1. The speed boost sound is a little annoying. I have to live with that for the rest of my life?

2. I don't really seem to be moving that much faster. Does it stack with Pursuit of Justice?

Are you NEW to wow?

No, why?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

1. The speed boost sound is a little annoying. I have to live with that for the rest of my life? I start every fight with Judgment.

2. Does it stack with Pursuit of Justice or override it?

1. Yeah, you kind of do :\ I usually keep music on so I don't hear it too often, but after a while you'll get used to the sound.

2. It overrides it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
But as far as leveling/questing goes, is it that useful?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
For PvE:

LAOTL, is superior to Eye for an Eye by far especially since E4E doesn't work on AOE spells.

in PvP LAOTL is mandatory. Any ret trying to PvP without it is LOLworthy
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ret spec is so beyond cookie cutter it's silly. It's not much of a debate, at all for PvE lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you buff me? I'd buff me, I'd buff me so hard.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2010 9:16 PMPosted by Farranor
Long Arm is a terrible idea as a PvP gap closer, but it's an otherwise handy little talent. Get into melee range faster in for 5-man mob packs, return to DPS more quickly after a boss air phase or something, Judge critters to get back to where you wiped a bit faster, and so on. It's kind of lame that it only procs when used on targets 15+ yards away from you, but I guess it'd be OP if Long Arm allowed rets to FULLY close a gap against enemy players.

Waittaminute. Are you saying for PVP that you believe LA is garbage?

It seems that the speed buff when Judging opponents 15-30 yards away would be helpful in closing the gap so that we can melee. Or, situationally, if you needed to run away bravely, you could Judge a target 15+ yards away, then use the speed boost to gap your opponents.

It seems like it would be useful to me. I wish Prot had it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's mildly useful in pvp, but it doesn't begin to compare to the true gap closers that other melee have. It's really only a mild speed boost, since it doesn't stack with pursuit, it's only 4 seconds, and only usable at range. It also procs armour effects on the target, so if you use it on a mage, you actually wind up snaring yourself. Very amusing.

It's certainly better than nothing but it's not really that great.

Different story in PvE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]