Life as a healer

85 Troll Druid

Hi All,

Intro
I have been playing this druid recently with hopes of trying to get him to 80 before Cata is released. I dont think I am going to make it in time but I wanted to ask for feedback about healing in the game.

I like the idea of healing because I want a different play-style from my warlock and I think it lends itself to running a guild (a goal of mine) more than other class roles. The Druid class is great fun and somehow captures my imagination.

The meat
I started healing on this toon when I reached about level 45. Groups seem to vary in ability and I often find myself having to do very little or heal none stop depending upon the group.
I have found it's like sitting on the flight deck of an airliner; hours of boredom combined with moments of sheer panic as you try to save everyone.

More recently, I have noticed that other players, using dungeon finder, have become quite abusive when things go pear shaped. Perhaps they are undergeared but depending upon the tank or the group they will agro way too many mobs and when I cannot keep everyone alive it is me who they blame. 'Heals?', is the usual complaint in party chat.

When I try to explain to the tank that he needs to pull less and watch my mana if I need to drink I am often confronted with a 'if you dont like the way I tank...' or an acknowledgment only for them to continue doing the same thing over and over. Likewise, if I offer gentle suggestions to clothies (i.e.. try not to stand in melee range or fire) there is often an abusive message back.

I'd like to give this role another try but at present given my experiences I can't see the fun in being a healer; it seems like a very unrewarding play style. However, I'd like to hear thoughts of those players who can offer some guidance and suggestions on how to approach the role in a positive way.

;)
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
12/06/2010 9:49 AMPosted by Solonge

I started healing on this toon when I reached about level 45. Groups seem to vary in ability and I often find myself having to do very little or heal none stop depending upon the group.
I have found it's like sitting on the flight deck of an airliner; hours of boredom combined with moments of sheer panic as you try to save everyone.

Sometimes it may feel that way, higher levels of raiding/dungeons there's more to do :)

More recently, I have noticed that other players, using dungeon finder, have become quite abusive when things go pear shaped. Perhaps they are undergeared but depending upon the tank or the group they will agro way too many mobs and when I cannot keep everyone alive it is me who they blame. 'Heals?', is the usual complaint in party chat.

Healing takes practice. It's good to just tell everyone in the group that you're new to this and that you need to let them know. I just saw my girlfriend do RFC and they almost wiped, healing isn't as easy as it was before.

When I try to explain to the tank that he needs to pull less and watch my mana if I need to drink I am often confronted with a 'if you dont like the way I tank...' or an acknowledgment only for them to continue doing the same thing over and over. Likewise, if I offer gentle suggestions to clothies (i.e.. try not to stand in melee range or fire) there is often an abusive message back.

People are going to learn the hard way that it can no longer be like this. DPS will have to learn that they jut cannot pull without the tank pulling first. People will start to understand that healing is going to be a bit harder and that we need to work together.

I'd like to give this role another try but at present given my experiences I can't see the fun in being a healer; it seems like a very unrewarding play style. However, I'd like to hear thoughts of those players who can offer some guidance and suggestions on how to approach the role in a positive way.

;)

I suggest playing with some friends, they will be more understanding.

On a more personal note, I've done all three roles and I consider healing to be most challenging and most fun. It's not so much 'filling up the greenbarz because of my OCD lulululul" as it is it's just the difficulty it involves. Not only do I have to stand out of fire, but I have to watch the tank, and then watch the DPS and then watch the raid mechanics. It utilizes most of my senses and makes me think. I love triage.
Reply Quote
72 Tauren Druid
a short answer is prepare for more abuse

a slightly longer answer is your experience as a healer is one shared unanimously across the community - things will get better

the role is uniquely rewarding as many long time healers will attest to
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
@ Practical: Thanks some good ideas. I found I spend a lot of time watching what the other players are doing and the focus is way different from dpsing. Maybe my perspective will change when I get past leveling and can enjoy the game with friends.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
The same thing happened at Wrath launch, although this will be slightly worse because of how Wrath was balanced etc, but the concept holds true.

Spoiled bads used to overgeared groups leap into the expansion. They die repeatedly and their groups rarely finish a dungeon. Desperate and frustrated, they turn to their last resort- actually listening to people.

The experienced players step in, start ordering CC, fight mechanics and such, and the bads observe and (perhaps reluctantly) learn. After 3-6 months, this is so common that nearly every group will run like clockwork.

When we start to overgear the content again, the cycle will repeat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]