Prot Paladin Tanking Rotation

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just wondering about this. I noticed that HotR and CS have a 3 sec CD. This is 2x the GCD (1.5 sec.) What this means is that, latency and reaction times aside, I should be able to cast one ability between hitting my CS/HotR if I'm using CS/HotR every time they come off CD.

So with this in mind, I get something like:

CS/HotR > ___ > CS/HotR> ___ > CS/HotR > SotR/WoG > repeat.

Where ___ is whatever ability you want to use that's off CD (e.g. Consecration, Holy Wrath, Hammer of Justice, Avenger's Shield [especially if Grand Crusader procs], Judgement, taunts, Hands, defensive CDs, ect.)

Is this right, or am I looking at this overly simplistically?

Also, is there an order of preference for the other abilities? Normally, I start a fight with AS before starting my rotation, so it's on CD for the first ___ most times. I'll usually either Judge or Consc/HW (if I need to pick up agro on groups.) Though I sometimes have the bad habit of hitting Consc and HW together, pushing my "rotation" back a notch.

I also noticed Judgement keeps my mana happy. So is there ever a time to use DP other than just to generate HP to throw a quick SotR or WoG? I know pre-4.0.x, DP was always supposed to be up on a Protadin. This is...no longer the case, right?

I also haven't found myself using defensive CDs yet (keep in mind, I'm going from healing to tanking, here, so CDs are kind of an "unknown" subject to me in the sense you don't use them a lot while healing now-a-days.) Part of this may just not be needing to, and part may just be forgetting (I put my Righteous Defense button by my Kings/Might buffs to help me remember it. ^_^; )

Also - Truth is the Seal of choice because the Expertise boost, right? Insight if the healer dies. Just to be sure. ^_^;

I'd ask what the hit/expertise caps are...but we're about to drop an expansion and level to 85, so that knowledge will become dated...well, in about 24 hours...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
To quote myself.

Our above 20% priority is ShoR>CS>J>AS>Cons>HW (939), which makes our rotation CS-J-CS-X-CS-ShoR.

Here's your Single target rotation(THIS IS THE SIMPLE VERSION)
Divine Plea -> AS -> ShoR -> CS -> Judge -> CS -> AS(if proc)/[else if]Cons(mana)/[else]HW -> CS -> ShoR

In case you don't understand the X spot. If you have a GrC proc use AS. If not, and you have the mana use Cons. Otherwise use HW. To give you a priority for X it would look like
AS > Cons > CS.

Our bellow 20% priority dumps AS, Cons, and HW for Hammer of Wrath.
SotR>CS>J>HoW

My AoE rotation is something like;
AS -> Drop Cons -> HotR -> Judge(If you want) -> HW -> HotR -> AS/HW -> HotR ->IF MISSING HEALTH -> WoG -> ELSE -> ShoR

Every GrC proc I use AS.

Our AoE priority is HotR>Cons>HW>AS>(ShoR or WoG)>J. If you find your self having mana problems you can bump Judge up.

As long as you are casting something every GCD you are pretty close to optimal. So don't worry to much.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
How much will Inquisition change this?

Guardian of the Ancient Kings? Keep it on cooldown or just time it when you know the big hits are coming?
Reply Quote
83 Orc Death Knight
Use DP at the start of the pull so you can get some nice threat with a SotR. You can also initiate a pull by: AS -> DP -> Judge (as running in) -> (hope for Sacred Duty) -> SotR but I find that's too much to chance.

otherwise you are right about the new system. It has been coined "939" in memory of our old rotation.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/06/2010 1:58 PMPosted by Kedros
How much will Inquisition change this?

Guardian of the Ancient Kings? Keep it on cooldown or just time it when you know the big hits are coming?

Inq doesn't change our single target rotation what so ever. Using it actually causes a DPS loss. So avoid it. As for AoE it's a little bit of a boost. Since Shield of the Templar makes Divine Plea give you 3HP you can just do something like Divine Plea -> AS -> Inq -> HotR for your AoE opening.

GAK functions like our old Divine Protection did. You use it for big hits.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Okay, so my rotation's right, just have a priority order for what I put in the open spaces. And below 20%, use HoW above all else. That about the size of it?

Also, for WoG - does this only generate threat if it's actual healing? Or does overhealing (with the addition of the 6 sec overheal bubble) also generate AOE threat for multiple targets?

And does using DP diminish this? (That is, should I dispell the DP buff after I get the 3 HP from it?)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/06/2010 2:12 PMPosted by Arthinas
Okay, so my rotation's right, just have a priority order for what I put in the open spaces. And below 20%, use HoW above all else. That about the size of it?

Also, for WoG - does this only generate threat if it's actual healing? Or does overhealing (with the addition of the 6 sec overheal bubble) also generate AOE threat for multiple targets?

And does using DP diminish this? (That is, should I dispell the DP buff after I get the 3 HP from it?)

You rotation would turn into
CS -> Judge -> CS -> HoW -> CS -> ShoR -> HoW
Something like that. I actually might be a tad off...

Correct if you are at full health WoG wont generate any threat. And you just gave me a good idea for a macro.
Edited by Xayton on 12/6/2010 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
EDIT: Erk, refreshing page reposted. -_-

EDIT2:

Correct if you are at full health WoG wont generate any threat. And you just gave me a good idea for a macro.

Shouldn't there be another CS before that last HoW? Or is HoW THAT high in priority that it kicks the rest of your rotation back a GCD?
Edited by Arthinas on 12/6/2010 3:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/06/2010 3:04 PMPosted by Arthinas
EDIT: Erk, refreshing page reposted. -_-

EDIT2:

Shouldn't there be another CS before that last HoW? Or is HoW THAT high in priority that it kicks the rest of your rotation back a GCD?

Yeah there probably should be. I just threw that together without much thought.
Edited by Xayton on 12/6/2010 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Odd double post ftw...
Edited by Xayton on 12/6/2010 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]