Prot and spell power mace/sword

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I recently hit 80, I leveled all the way in prot AEing packs of 10+ mobs at a time. From about 58-80 I used maces and swords with the most spell power I could find. At 80 I sometimes tank with a spell power mace and a lot of people question it. I do understand the importance of tanking stats in a weapon, but for leveling and quick dungeon running why not use a caster 1 hander?

Pros:
Consecration - Deals quite a bit more damage, probably 10% more depending on gear
HW - Deals quite a bit more damage
AS - Deals quite a bit more damage
HoW - Deals quite a bit more damage
Judgement - Deals quite a bit more damage
Ret Aura - Still sucks but deals more damage as well
...and... Healing is much better across the board

Cons:
HotR - AE hits slightly less hard due to having no attack power on the weapon, about 1% less damage depending on gear
White hits - less effectve
Reckoning - less effective
CS - less effective

For single targets, i.e. bosses, a good tanking weapon still takes the cake, but for AE a spell power weapon is significantly better. Yet, I see not a single protadin using one.

Thoughts?

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Use a 2.6 speed DPS one hander, it's better than Tanking weapons and Spellpower weapons.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Tomorrow (read: Cataclysm) you can just use Tanking stat 1h. No more fast tanking weapons, for the most part. Almost everything is ~2.6 speed.
Reply Quote
32 Troll Druid
I suspect spell power weapons might be optimal for prot PvP
Reply Quote
64 Human Warrior
It might work, but the spell power generated from strength is pretty significant and I don't like the idea of gimping my HotR or CS and my auto attack. Plus when a great tank weapon drops in Cata... do I vendor it? Me thinks not.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
12/06/2010 3:52 PMPosted by Farranor

Wrong, not sure about that one, wrong, wrong, wrong, irrelevant, and pretty irrelevant.

if you want to dispute facts cite a source
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
All Spell power weapons in Cata are around a 1 - 300 damage weapons. The spell power wont make up the damage difference.

/thread.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue

The "facts" I'm disputing didn't have a source either. I'd say we're even. . .

There are facts out there, you could even just test it out on a dummy and list your numbers.

but a factual dispute without facts is just bickering.

Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
12/06/2010 4:21 PMPosted by Xayton
All Spell power weapons in Cata are around a 1 - 300 damage weapons. The spell power wont make up the damage difference.

/thread.

certainly not the overall damage for normal (high melee uptime, low numbers of targets) circumstances.

But that doesn't mean it's useless in special circumstances, low melee uptime in PvP or high target number AoE.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I don't see how http://www.wowhead.com/item=55777/torturers-mercy
would be good in any circumstance for a tank.

I can't do item links....
Edited by Xayton on 12/6/2010 4:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
item links don't work for cata items right now. . .

anyways I don't see a healer mace being optimal either

http://www.wowhead.com/item=64752 on the other hand might be better than
http://www.wowhead.com/item=64700 in cases where you're using more AS and FoL, less melee and CS

and if you read the OP they're talking about AoE grinding. (which will not work well in cata since the mobs hit much much harder)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/06/2010 4:39 PMPosted by Gidgite
item links don't work for cata items right now. . .

anyways I don't see a healer mace being optimal either

http://www.wowhead.com/item=64752 on the other hand might be better than
http://www.wowhead.com/item=64700 in cases where you're using more AS and FoL, less melee and CS

and if you read the OP they're talking about AoE grinding. (which will not work well in cata since the mobs hit much much harder)

At that point you are just better off being a Shockadain. Haha.
Yeah his argue is kinda moot.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
12/06/2010 4:40 PMPosted by Xayton

At that point you are just better off being a Shockadain. Haha.
Yeah his argue is kinda moot.

maybe.

We don't have the facts to make a conclusion about the PvP, we can only speculate.

What we do know is that it will not be good for tanking, and it's pretty moot that it might be better for AoE grinding since they nerfed AoE grinding.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
So post your facts when fresh nubs post fresh misinformation. It's not hard to copy paste facts
Reply Quote
75 Dwarf Mage
Common knowledge "facts" don't need citations. That doesn't mean that they can't be disproven but it's up to the new data to be proven if the status quo is going to be bucked.

Like saying humans don't have gills. I'm not going to cite it. It's just a fact.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
12/06/2010 5:10 PMPosted by Seska

2- gidgite is just one of those idiots who likes to argue even tho he knows he's wrong.

I don't know that I'm wrong.
But I also don't know that I'm right.

What I do know is that the OP does have some legitimate points.

prot paladins really do have abilities that scale with SP, and there are times when weapon damage isn't that important (which is the main stat you sacrifice).

The numbers have changed in favor of weapon damage, but the fundamental issue is still there.

oh and btw, calling people names is a great way to get yourself banned

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]