Vuhdo discontinued?

90 Tauren Druid
05/05/2014 03:45 PMPosted by Piamette
Grid is no crappier than Vuhdo. One of my MAIN issues with Vuhdo is the fact that it has a rather small icon limit on bars, whereas with my grid I have at least 12 *icon* indicators available thanks to certain plugins.

Does Grid provide indicators for clusters and AoE advice like Vudho does? Those two indicators provide pretty huge QoL benefits for healing Priests.

Gah, I hope someone else continues with Vuhdo!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2014 03:42 PMPosted by Evry
Is there something that vuhdo's key/click binding does that clique does not? Are there things clique does that vuhdo does not?
Since the latter is true, clique functions as a super-set to vuhdo's features, and, fanboy-ism aside, it's a superior choice. There are plenty of reasons to wanting to use click-sets. I seem to recall Tiriel herself crying about the Norushen healing test because you had to dispel the adds. Beyond that, having binds that work in vs out of combat or that can be used on Unit Frames as well as Raid Frames can be quite useful.

I just had to figure out how to change my keybindings. I had a bunch of keybindings set up very specifically and I haaaaate swapping things out because I mostly use muscle memory to remember keybinds. I just have special mouseovers that I use for that fight, have to remember to swap them in.

And I believe that VuhDo gives extra keybind options that Clique does not (or didn't, last time I checked).

Edited to Add: My issues with the Norushen fight also have to do with my client freezing and disconnecting if I get too close to the "walls" of the box.
Edited by Tiriel on 5/5/2014 4:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2014 03:59 PMPosted by Rethly
Does Grid provide indicators for clusters and AoE advice like Vudho does? Those two indicators provide pretty huge QoL benefits for healing Priests.

As far as I know, Vuhdo is the only one that does that. It's a major reason I have kept using it.

Gah, I hope someone else continues with Vuhdo!

Someone posted back on the 30th asking to take over, but there's been no reply so far.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Absolutely. Plugins are needed, but there are SEVERAL to choose from. I'm very happy with the GridStatusPriestAoe.
05/05/2014 03:54 PMPosted by Stratous
I've seen a couple people say this (actually it might have been you both times) but does anyone really need 12 icon incidicators? I believe you are talking about corner icon indicators or whatever that plugin for grid is called. Vuhdo offers 7 icon indicators but I rarely use more than 5

The point isn't whether or not I need all 12, but whether or not I need more than 7, and yes, I do. ESPECIALLY for a Priest. Let's see - Spirit Shell, PW:S, PoM, Renew, Pain Sup (and other tank cds, so I will lump Guardian Spirit in with this), Grace, Weakened Soul (I actually display this on all my characters)... That's already 7. If I want to display things like Echo of Light and Divine Aegis, that's 8 and 9. And this is ALL off the top of my head, without having to even be ingame to find other things. I'm not counting the AoE advice indicator, either, which is 10.
Edited by Piamette on 5/5/2014 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2014 04:08 PMPosted by Piamette

Absolutely. Plugins are needed, but there are SEVERAL to choose from. I'm very happy with the GridStatusPriestAoe.

Does it put actual icons on the bars? I only ever see people with squares.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Elvui now has a Priest AoE plugin as well (I use Elvui's frames with mouseovers.) I have it configured to show the PoH icon on the best target within a group.

I know the grid plugins are excellent.
Edited by Naérwen on 5/5/2014 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
05/05/2014 04:09 PMPosted by Tiriel
Does it put actual icons on the bars? I only ever see people with squares.

Yes, it does. You might need a plugin for the icon functionality.
edit: Here's what mine look like, back from when we first killed Thok- http://gyazo.com/9126dbf7f04b4bc23958271b2e3c3e4a
Edited by Piamette on 5/5/2014 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
There's more than one person that has expressed interest in taking over. If nothing else, I or someone more qualified will fix any kinks each patch that we can until we get a working version. VuhDo won't die, but it will probably stop having any major features developed for it, which is a bummer.

e: I wasn't aware he had quit a long time back and was just maintaining the addon for our sake. Much respect.
Edited by Ezekiah on 5/5/2014 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Grid2 also has built in cluster and aoe heal suggestion functionality. It can be displayed as an icon in whichever indicator you choose.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
05/05/2014 04:16 PMPosted by Crzed
Grid2 also has built in cluster and aoe heal suggestion functionality. It can be displayed as an icon in whichever indicator you choose.

Yeah I should have mentioned this.
As well as the fact that Grid2 can make unlimited indicators of any type, with any placement.
Edited by Piamette on 5/5/2014 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2014 04:20 PMPosted by Piamette
As well as the fact that Grid2 can make unlimited indicators of any type, with any placement.

Pretty much why I've stuck with Grid2 and would recommend it to anyone looking to try something new. The customization is beyond any of the other frames I've tried to tinker with in the past.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
05/05/2014 03:42 PMPosted by Evry
Is there something that vuhdo's key/click binding does that clique does not? Are there things clique does that vuhdo does not?
Since the latter is true, clique functions as a super-set to vuhdo's features, and, fanboy-ism aside, it's a superior choice.
Fanboyism aside, your comparison is as flawed as a wrench to an entire workshop. Clique is an add-on to do click casting and that is it. Vuhdo is an elaborate healing add-on with a gazillion features that just so happens to also have native click casting functionality as well as extended functionality through the use of Clique. Although it is hardly extended, because clique only provides one little feature that is all but useless to a lot of people, including myself.

And as you wrote, that is your opinion. However, there are uses you're simply not thinking of.
Totally yes, just my opinion. You didn't mention aything I didn't already cover though. Clique helps other healing add-ons not suck as much, yes. I think I already covered that. The fact that other add-ons have different pros/cons from Vuhdo is irrelevant to an evaluation of clique as an add-on.

You definitely do not need these guys on your raid frames just use 3 - 4 key binds and super old school manual targetting (there's only 3 of them)
And you can clearly see the debuffed friendly add by the spell effect. I never considered this to be difficult, ever.
Edited by Lifegutter on 5/5/2014 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I still prefer VuhDo over any other addon, if it doesn't get picked up maybe I'll give Grid another try :(
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Vuhdo is a toolbox. Clique is a wrench.

The two are incomparable, but if I were going to a job I know which I'd take.

Mad respect to this guy for maintaining and developing an addon for a game he doesn't even play anymore. If it gets continual support, I'll keep using vuhdo, if not it had a good run.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
05/05/2014 04:33 PMPosted by Lifegutter
Clique helps other healing add-ons not suck as much, yes. I think I already covered that.

Mkay, you are just reading what you want to read, then.
Please understand this: Many healers do not use click-to-cast functionality at all.
I could absolutely live without Clique. Clique-style functionality has never been a "plus" for me; when I used Vuhdo (for extended periods of time, as in entire tiers), I don't recall ever using its click-to-cast functionality.
It's just an alternative method of healing, and one that I personally use very little.

I mean, if you use Vuhdo + mouseover macros, and only use Vuhdo's binds for only a handful of very specific spells, then that's effectively what I'm doing. But I'm guessing that is not the case for you. It is certainly not for many, as evidenced by the amount of difficulty many healers have on the Immerseus encounter due to the limitations of their setup.

I could likewise say that mouseover macros help Vuhdo not suck as much, lol. Don't pretend like Vuhdo doesn't have its own limitations. But if it suits the needs of the user, that is what matters. Likewise, Grid is Not a "healing addon" - it is a group/raid frame addon. Many of the people who use it are not healers. And Grid (and Grid2) suits the needs of many people who use it - healers and non-healers alike.

You seem to be thinking that I think Clique is some alternative to a healing addon or a crutch. I don't consider it to be either. I think it is a UI addition that people can elect to use if they want to either heal in a particular way, or simply have different methods of heal/spell delivery for certain reasons (as is in my case).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
05/05/2014 04:03 PMPosted by Tiriel
As far as I know, Vuhdo is the only one that does that. It's a major reason I have kept using it.

Grid2 also provides that cluster / AOE heal advice I believe. I am fairly positive Kaels has that information when he heals, and he uses Grid2.
Edited by Taymage on 5/5/2014 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
05/05/2014 05:14 PMPosted by Piamette
Please understand this: Many healers do not use click-to-cast functionality at all.
I didn't choose to use vuhdo because it offered click cast functionality. I started using it years ago because the original grid was a complete piece of crap compared to Vuhdo and relied on a bunch of extremely buggy plug-ins which were seldom maintained properly. Grid2 has caught up a lot, but there aren't any features I would consider enough of an advantage to make a change from Vuhdo which has mostly been solid for as long as I can remember. Grid brings back painful memories. It also killed my dog.

Having 18 indicators on a single unit frame might be useful to someone, but to me that seems cluttered and excessive. I much prefer to use bouquets and more concise information such as tracking all of a players absorb with a single bar rather than turning the raid frames into a spreadsheet with numbers. Being able to color an entire frame in whatever way you want based on different conditions such as debuffs is also very nice. Cluster finder is nice. Having multiple HoT indicators rather than just a bunch of numbers is nice. Neither Grid nor Vuhdo do 100% of what I want to do stock, but it was much easier to modify the Vuhdo code to do the few obscure things I wanted to do differently.

I could likewise say that mouseover macros help Vuhdo not suck as much, lol.
Compared to what?

It is certainly not for many, as evidenced by the amount of difficulty many healers have on the Immerseus encounter due to the limitations of their setup.
Healing immerseus adds just requires a simple macro to spam a spell on them. Since they change names after being healed up, it will automatically target the next one as you spam it. I would say more healers have difficulty in immerseus due to coverage or mobility limitations.

05/05/2014 05:26 PMPosted by Taymage
Grid2 also provides that cluster / AOE heal advice I believe. I am fairly positive Kaels has that information when he heals, and he uses Grid2.
You're probably referring to this buggy out of date plug-in:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/gridstatuspriestaoe
Edited by Lifegutter on 5/5/2014 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
first, quick clarification: Vuhdo, Grid, and Grid2 all have working AoE indicators for clusters and for Prayer of Healing. It's a moot point. If anything I'd give customization points to grid/grid2 because of the separation of status : indicators. I don't know if Healbot has aoe healing information.

05/05/2014 06:17 PMPosted by Lifegutter
Having 18 indicators on a single unit frame might be useful to someone, but to me that seems cluttered and excessive
but does anyone really need 12 icon incidicators?
05/05/2014 03:34 PMPosted by Lifegutter
and in those cases I just set the target as focus and added it to my private tanks frame.

Equivocating on why you wouldn't need or want a feature is not an argument. The same could be said for choosing to use the default UI. You can use it to heal just fine, saying you don't need the extra information customization or input options of addons, but that doesn't diminish the usefulness those addons provide. In this case, clique offers more than Vuhdo does when it comes to binding keys/clicks to spells/macros.

05/05/2014 05:03 PMPosted by Convictfish
Vuhdo is a toolbox. Clique is a wrench.

This is a bad analogy. Your Addons folder is a toolbox. Clique is a singular tool, like a wrench. Vuhdo is a several-in-one tool that includes a wrench. Clique's wrench is has an adjustable torque setting, where-as vuhdo's does not. Many people doing average things with their wrench probably do not need the torque limiter.

edit:
I much prefer to use bouquets and more concise information such as tracking all of a players absorb with a single bar

you could do this with grid, and then grid2, long before you could with vuhdo
Edited by Evry on 5/5/2014 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
You're probably referring to this buggy out of date plug-in:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/gridstatuspriestaoe

No, I am not referring to Grid.

I am referring to Grid 2, as I said in the post you quoted..

As Evry said, Grid 2 includes AOE heal advice, and it is not out of date. Here is the curse link:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/grid2

05/05/2014 06:36 PMPosted by Evry
I don't know if Healbot has aoe healing information.

I don't think it does, unless that has been added recently.
Edited by Taymage on 5/5/2014 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Welp. I originally wanted to try out Vuhdo just because of all the hype it has... but after reading the posts in this thread.. it looks like no one even uses Healbot (like I do :c!)..
I really love using Healbot but I kinda felt like people are at an advantage over me because of their add-on choice.
What are the major differences between healbot, grid, clique, and vuhdo and everything else that I missed?
Am i at a disadvantage of any sort for using and preferring healbot?

I love my click keybinds tho :'c
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]