Upcoming Rated BG Flag Carrier Hotfixes

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’ve recently identified an issue that was causing the Rated Battleground flag carrier debuff to function incorrectly. Under normal circumstances, non-tank flag carriers in Warsong Gulch and Twin Peaks should take 20% additional damage, and tank-specced flag carriers should take 50% additional damage. Currently, that debuff is only increasing damage to tank-specced players by 20%. We’re in the process of applying a hotfix that will, once again, cause tank-specced players to take 50% increased damage when carrying the flag. This hotfix will be applied as soon as possible, and will not require realm restarts to activate.

In addition, we’re working on expanding that functionality to orb carriers in Rated Temple of Kotmogu, and cart carriers in Rated Deepwind Gorge. In Temple of Kotmogu, we’ll be increasing the extra damage taken while carrying the orb to 50% if the player has chosen a tank specialization. In Deepwind Gorge, we’ll be applying the same debuff used in Warsong Gulch and Twin Peaks. Cart carriers who have chosen a DPS or healing specialization will take 20% increased damage, while cart carriers who have chosen a tank specialization will take 50% increased damage. These changes will not be applied until next week’s realm maintenance.

These mechanics and changes are exclusive to Rated Battlegrounds. They will not be applied to non-Rated BGs.
100 Orc Warrior
Will we be informed when the hotfix is applied, i think im gonna try to get some prot war rbgs in while we wait.
90 Night Elf Druid
Excellent change that deals with Guardian Druids which are the most overpowered class in RBGs right now, and, practically mandatory. Nothing should be mandatory in a game with this many classes, and, specs. One addition: why not EOTS? We can still hold flags there with no debuff.
10 Draenei Hunter
05/20/2014 07:42 PMPosted by Bailamostar
Excellent change that deals with Guardian Druids which are the most overpowered class in RBGs right now, and, practically mandatory. Nothing should be mandatory in a game with this many classes, and, specs. One addition: why not EOTS? We can still hold flags there with no debuff.

What specs do you see as being best flag carriers after this hotfix? Really don't understand why healers such as mw monks and resto druids couldn't do it- being able to heal yourself AND take less damage seems like a good combination to me. Resto druids are not quite as tanky as mw monks, but being able to stealth into the flag room is nice.
Edited by Kalaria on 5/20/2014 7:47 PM PDT
Community Manager
05/20/2014 07:11 PMPosted by Brianucky
Will we be informed when the hotfix is applied

The WSG/TP hotfix has just gone live.

One addition: why not EOTS? We can still hold flags there with no debuff.

We don't think the same debuff is the best solution for Eye of the Storm, but we are considering some other potential options. We agree that turtling with the flag doesn't result in the best gameplay.
90 Night Elf Druid
05/20/2014 07:45 PMPosted by Kalaria

What specs do you see as being best flag carriers after this hotfix? Really don't understand why healers such as mw monks and resto druids couldn't do it- being able to heal yourself AND take less damage seems like a good combination to me. Resto druids are not quite as tanky as mw monks, but being able to stealth into the flag room is nice.

Feral mobility still reigns supreme. Essentially, this nerf does nothing for prot warriors, brewmaster monks, blood dks, or, heaven forbid, prot pallys, however, it does diminish the gap between arms warrior/guardian druid, feral/guardian, and, resto druid with symbiosis teleport, or, a good mistweaver or windwalker abusing transcendence on the various map levels. I think Holinka mentioned somewhere that prot wasn't even supposed to be viable for RBGs anyway.

TLDR: Bye Guardian, Hello Feral.

Good change.
90 Night Elf Druid
05/20/2014 07:46 PMPosted by Lore
05/20/2014 07:11 PMPosted by Brianucky
Will we be informed when the hotfix is applied

The WSG/TP hotfix has just gone live.

One addition: why not EOTS? We can still hold flags there with no debuff.

We don't think the same debuff is the best solution for Eye of the Storm, but we are considering some other potential options. We agree that turtling with the flag doesn't result in the best gameplay.

The big problem with maps like EOTS and even Arathi Basin isn't that Guardian Druids can turtle with the flag, it's that you res at the very same node you died at. If EOTS and AB were consistent with Kotmogu and Gilneas res points (away from death point) we'd have more balanced maps. It just feels once a third node has been taken the game is almost irreversible. I think RBGs are different than arena because they play out more like an epic story (watch some of my games on twitch.tv/xaryulol or twitch.tv/generictherogue) whereas, arena read out like a short story in search of just one kill. RBGs have rising and falling actions, multiple climaxes, hooks, ninja caps, flag returns, dozens of kills, etc.
90 Human Death Knight
Don't agree on the 20% additional damage for non-tank carriers. Its silly to think that if I pick up the flag/cart I will have a 20% disadvantage if I encounter a 1v1 on my way. just not fair...
90 Night Elf Druid
05/20/2014 08:04 PMPosted by Prophex
Don't agree on the 20% additional damage for non-tank carriers. Its silly to think that if I pick up the flag/cart I will have a 20% disadvantage if I encounter a 1v1 on my way. just not fair...

No, it's fair because the cart allows for a 400 net point gain. It's a crucial resource, vital to winning the BG, thus it should come at a price. You shouldn't be allowed to get what is easy for free. That's the essence of work, pay-off, and sexual foreplay my friend.
100 Pandaren Monk
this need to be done normal bg with 50% more dmg to tank spec if in wsg holding flag or any other carrying type of bg..
90 Night Elf Druid
Also, I'd like to point out that we can still use Demonic Gateway with flags in EOTS. That can't be by design.
86 Night Elf Druid
05/20/2014 08:37 PMPosted by Tingjahe
this need to be done normal bg with 50% more dmg to tank spec if in wsg holding flag or any other carrying type of bg..

Nah, give the tanks one pvp area to be OP in. They are just regular bgs.
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks Tim. You can follow me on Twitter @bailamostar to see when I go live.
63 Gnome Warrior
I despair that Blizzard will ever embrace Tanks in PVP. OH well, at least there's Everquest 2.
86 Night Elf Druid
05/20/2014 10:48 PMPosted by Naiveté
I despair that Blizzard will ever embrace Tanks in PVP. OH well, at least there's Everquest 2.

You can always do regular bgs and be OP. But tanks hurt rbgs by both making it harder to fill groups and get games started, and they make the games more boring once the game starts by (absent the debuff hotfixed today) being nearly unkillable before getting a bunch of stacks.
100 Pandaren Monk
05/21/2014 12:59 AMPosted by Taigar
You can always do regular bgs

have done normal bg with dk tank,druid tank or etc holding flags with healers... it takes long long long time to kill them with all cc get throw out as try kill healers healing that tank..
I'm sick of seeing tanks in BGs .. in raids that fines but in bgs not fine....
100 Human Paladin
You broke the game this morning over THIS? Really?
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wrong.
05/21/2014 03:06 AMPosted by Farabee
You broke the game this morning over THIS? Really?

No. As you can see in the timestamps, the changes went live hours before the problems appeared.
Please take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]