Crash Course Videos Poll

Which Crash Course video did you find to be the most helpful?

Death Knight (Frost)
Druid (Balance)
Hunter (Survival)
Mage (Arcane)
Monk (Windwalker)
Paladin (Retribution)
Priest (Shadow)
Rogue (Combat)
Shaman (Elemental)
Warlock (Destruction)
Warrior (Arms)
This poll has ended - Jun 3, 2014
Community Manager
Our new level-90 Crash Course videos were posted last week which are designed to help newly boosted characters get a basic idea of where to begin; narrated by our lovely and talented Lore. If you haven’t seen them yet, check out our blog where you can find links to each video.

The question we have for you: Which Crash Course video did you find to be the most helpful?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
The Mage video was really hard to understand...my keyboard exploded.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I wish they would make one for each spec.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The biggest problem with these videos is that they showed casters using one spell, then standing around thinking about what to cast next. Almost every time I see someone doing 15k DPS in LFR, this is why. I think the proving grounds requirement to queue for heroics/LFR in WoD will help a lot with this type of player, but these videos did not.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
None
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
ONE
Seems like a strange question doesn't it? Which one did you find most useful?
A better question would be did you find these useful.
They are all so basic, its very unlikely any person watched them all, or found 1 more useful than the others.

I personally love the idea, but quake at the thought that Blizzard will now curb the market on guide-content.
Either way, there needs to be one for each DPS spec. Especially when considering Druid and Shaman. You only show caster specs for those two classes.
I'm sure its not intentional, but by not showing new players they have a melee option, it might encourage them to avoid it based on a notion of irrelevance.

At least, for example, rogue and mages, have the same style of spec, so those not depicted are less of a play style leap.

If nothing else, make a Feral one alongside the bombkin one, and an Enchantment alongside Elemental.

Otherwise, flawless idea!
Edited by Metrolol on 5/27/2014 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
Odd question. I doubt everyone has watched all of the vids, and I doubt that the listed specs are relevant to everyone. Personally, I'm waiting on a MW Monk video.

It's a good idea, definitely, but it's a little hard to evaluate how successful it is given how limited the videos currently are.
Reply Quote
To be honest, I still link people to Icy Veins. No disrespect intended to anyone who made these but they are SO basic as to be darn near unhelpful. The only tiny niche where they might be useful is if someone boosts a toon and then it might be useful for the first 60 minutes (however you will die pretty quick on Timeless Isles with just this and greens).

What I think would be MORE useful is for someone to set up their bars fully, then go to a target dummy, and finally talk through the bars end to end and the basic playstyle (e.g. keep this up, then do this, then do this, etc). Then last but not least go out into the "world" and show off some survival skills (e.g. fear, stun, defensive cooldowns). Stuff which cannot be shown on a target dummy.

But realistically we're talking a 60 minute video, not a 3 minute one.

PS - I'd love, for my boosts, someone to literally just talk about how they have their bars/hotkeys set up. That would be infinitely useful. Particularly if they're a very successful player.
Edited by Monsonsus on 5/27/2014 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I can't make a vote here, since I play every single toon.
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Warrior
Honestly it had been a few expansions since I touched arms, I had mostly been tanking on this toon.

The crash course guide was the perfect amount for me to just jump right in. I really didn't feel like reading guides to get into a spec I hadn't played in a long time, so a 2 min crash course video was perfect.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I actually learned something from one of the videos despite having a 90 of that class and playing it for 9 year so I voted for that one.

If you're looking for feedback about the video themselves, I think the Hunter one needs additional info about the pet. At the very least an arrow saying "This is your pet's spell bar. This is how you command your pet. This is what your pet will do by default unless you tell him otherwise" would be very useful.

I will say that I do like that the videos in general seem to be more focused on telling new players the minimum they need to know to kill something and then show them how to learn more on their own.
Edited by Hippeaux on 5/27/2014 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd say the DK guide. Now I can finally wrap my mind around the DK's rotation.

In all seriousness, I liked both the Druid and Warrior guides. Very basic, but then again it's 2-3 minutes and you'll get 2-3 minutes worth of information.
Edited by Imacat on 5/27/2014 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The only one I really found to be helpful was the Balance Druid one. All the others only went into the "Core Spells" section of the Spellbook, while the Druid one had the full rotation in.
Reply Quote
39 Orc Warlock
I think that the thought behind these videos is good.

I think that there may be some reluctance to delve deeper into class mechanics with WoD potentially resetting or changing some of those mechanics.

I would like to see some sort of intermediate or advanced video that expands on other specs, roles, triage, procs, cc, or cds(dps, defensive, personal, raid). Even if this intermediate or advanced video contains notes for every class and does not single any specific class out, some additional official outline could be helpful. What we have now is almost too bare-bones and limited.
Reply Quote
05/27/2014 10:00 AMPosted by Crithto
Our new level-90 Crash Course videos were posted last week which are designed to help newly boosted characters get a basic idea of where to begin

Where were they 2 months ago when there were more people that could have benefited from them?

As for feedbck, You might have included a "to learn more" splash screen at the end that directed people to Icy Veins and/or the class forums.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hope more detailed guides are made by Blizzard for future major patches. Would help consolidate information over the game into one place.
Edited by Imacat on 5/27/2014 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Yes, I agree with the other posts. I think it'd be nice if you had one for each spec. =)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/27/2014 10:21 AMPosted by Hippeaux
I actually learned something from one of the videos despite having a 90 of that class and playing it for 9 year so I voted for that one.

If you're looking for feedback about the video themselves, I think the Hunter one needs additional info about the pet. At the very least an arrow saying "This is your pet's spell bar. This is how you command your pet. This is what your pet will do by default unless you tell him otherwise" would be very useful.

^I'm going to second this even though I haven't actually watched any of these. I have a max level hunter for the first time in years as of last week, and while I understand basic pet mechanics, it is absolute hell trying to figure out the decision making that goes into figuring out which pet you want.

It took me three itemized lists written by players to cross reference with each other before I decided which pet both fits what I want and what a group needs - and that's ridiculous. A pet is the CORE of the hunter - why is it so difficult to find straightforward information about them?

As a veteran player I knew to search this info out and where to get it, but someone just starting or hasn't been in the game in 5 years? Totally lost - on something so basic to the class's performance.
Edited by Amyiss on 5/27/2014 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
05/27/2014 10:07 AMPosted by Casa
The biggest problem with these videos is that they showed casters using one spell, then standing around thinking about what to cast next. Almost every time I see someone doing 15k DPS in LFR, this is why. I think the proving grounds requirement to queue for heroics/LFR in WoD will help a lot with this type of player, but these videos did not.

That's silly. theyre casting one spell because theyre explaining each spell.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
05/27/2014 10:35 AMPosted by Amyiss
^I'm going to second this even though I haven't actually watched any of these. I have a max level hunter for the first time in years as of last week, and while I understand basic pet mechanics, it is absolute hell trying to figure out the decision making that goes into figuring out which pet you want.

This sounds like it belongs in the hunter forums tbh. Feedback here is for the videos which you didn't watch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]