when will healing be harder

85 Blood Elf Priest
i've been finding it pretty easy to heal as a priest so far in the recent patches (only healed 5 mans) and i'm pretty excited for the upcoming mana efficiency focused healing because right now with my inflated gear from wrath 5 mans i have no problem with healing a lot without using much mana (penance comes to mind) so i've been wanting a more of a challenge, more like this mana efficiency healing i keep hearing about that's supposed to come out when cata comes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
bump
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Yeah it's still kinda easy to heal, but what makes it harder for me is all the retarded players... I'm sure as soon as you step foot into a heroic you will be saying it's hard :)
Reply Quote
Just wait till 85. Even normal instances can be very difficult (Stonecore at the minimum level is extremely difficult to heal on the last boss, even on normal mode). Heroics in 329 gear, the minimum ilvl, are monstrous. This is from my experience on Beta, by the way. I've been healing for years, but the Cataclysm dungeons made me feel like I had never healed anything before.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
The difficulty kicks in around 83 and gets worse as you climb to 85, and then starts to get better as you gear up at 85.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
12/07/2010 4:59 AMPosted by Zhinn
Yeah it's still kinda easy to heal, but what makes it harder for me is all the retarded players... I'm sure as soon as you step foot into a heroic you will be saying it's hard :)

I was just about to write pretty much the same thing when I scrolled down and saw your post. Bad retarded players will keep you on your toes. Really bad retarded players will make you drop group, wait it out, and requeue.

It seemed like all the really bad retarded players were out last night.
Reply Quote
Eighty is easy. Eighty-one is harder. Now that I'm 82 I slowly start to calculate the odds of me going oom in the middle of a fight when all I'm using are my cheapest heals. They're still pretty low (though when dps keeps eating aoe, the odds go up quite a bit), but I can only imagine how it'll be at 83 and 84 or with a bad tank. My spell costs have been doubled, but my mana hasn't. And my spirit isn't high enough to make holy light feel like a free heal anymore. Sad day.

That said, it's actually quite fun.
Reply Quote
While doing anything most recent high-end content is boring.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I healed throne of tides for the first time and I found a couple of the pulls to be more challenging than anything wotlk heroics had to offer, so I'm optimistic in this regard
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
When you hit 80 and higher.
Reply Quote
Blackrock Descent is pretty effortless, as long as everyone's on the level. Throne of Tides has some pulls where, without CC, the Tank is going to eat an intolerable amount of damage in the first microsecond of combat; it also has many places to fail. Vortex Pinnacle has some positively brutal sections (shooting stars, guh), and many places where ineptitude on a CC-free run can end someone's life *very* quickly. Sometimes, people will just die, which doesn't really present a healing challenge. Haven't seen any of the others yet.
Reply Quote
12/07/2010 2:35 PMPosted by Rakha
Blackrock Descent is pretty effortless, as long as everyone's on the level. Throne of Tides has some pulls where, without CC, the Tank is going to eat an intolerable amount of damage in the first microsecond of combat; it also has many places to fail. Vortex Pinnacle has some positively brutal sections (shooting stars, guh), and many places where ineptitude on a CC-free run can end someone's life *very* quickly. Sometimes, people will just die, which doesn't really present a healing challenge. Haven't seen any of the others yet.

From Beta experience, Stonecore is moderately hard, except the last boss who's really tough (it could've been that she was bugged a bit though, because the mechanics felt a bit off). Lost City is relatively easy. Halls of Origination is loooooooong, and there are some tricky pulls. A couple of bosses are fairly challenging as well. Grim Batol is pretty straightforward; one of the easiest 5 mans, but a tough heroic to heal.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Hahaha, yes idiotic tanks are what make healing difficult... I hate when someone joins my group with a DPS spec and when I inquire about their talent spec they say "Relax n00b its a level 50 dungeon" or something... and then they die, Why is that?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Greater heal costs 6k mana and heals for 14k.

My face is on fire.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
hahah whats your healing tips for healing in 80+ dungeons as a disc priest? will penance still be good at higher levels and will bubble be still as effective or are disc priests totally nerfed? I won't get cata until about Christmas but i wanna learn about healing as much until then.
Reply Quote
12/07/2010 7:30 PMPosted by Shoua
hahah whats your healing tips for healing in 80+ dungeons as a disc priest? will penance still be good at higher levels and will bubble be still as effective or are disc priests totally nerfed? I won't get cata until about Christmas but i wanna learn about healing as much until then.

Penance is pretty much your most efficient single target heal. Use it all the time in dungeons. I find that it's good to open a fight with PoM + PW:S + Renew on the tank, and then just spam Heal. If he's taking heavier damage than Heal can handle, pop a Penance and if that's not enough use a Flash Heal or Greater Heal (not too much though, because you'll go oom). For party damage, bubble everyone up if you know there's a big AoE coming, and Renew is handy too, even for Disc. Prayer of Healing is also very good, but again, don't rely on it too much because it'll suck your mana dry.

The important thing to know for all healers is that healing is no longer about topping people off. The only person you can realistically do that with is the tank; most of the time, it's better to leave the dps and yourself at lower health. You only heal as much as you need to prevent the group from dying, and no more; any more will make you OOM.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/07/2010 7:30 PMPosted by Shoua

If you have really big frames, you can sometimes see someone's health move after you penance them. *sometimes*. You use it whenever it's off cooldown and the tank needs the healing, but just don't expect as much from it now. Remember, people don't need to be topped off, they need to be kept alive. This distinction is very significant, especially once you get to SC and beyond.

Not usually, though. Expect to be casting a lot more greater heals and heals and binding heal when it's efficient. The days of the first 1-2 tick of penance bringing someone to full, and the last tick being overheal regardless of how much damage they took are mostly over. People of all roles have to be on the ball now.

I think it's a lot of fun (leveling as a gnome disc priest, i'm 83 currently), although it took a little getting used to. I think the stonecore is where you make the big changes, and you experience some legitimate difficulty. The 80-82 instances are mostly cakewalks.

Also, I know a lot of disc priests don't like it, but I'm really loving the new barrier. Damage reduction for 10 seconds really takes the edge off the spike damage, and I much prefer it to the old barrier. However, I was a big fan of holy paladin divine guardian, and was usually specced into that when I was briefly a raiding paladin.
Edited by Mescyn on 12/8/2010 7:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]