Chakra Change - A priest's plea!

90 Human Priest
QQ

I'm a veteran healer, been around since WoW launch. I'm well aware of the intended mana changes and welcome them. Regarding the priest Holy tree, I love the changes, but in practice I find keeping Chakra going a pain in the rear even with the 30 second CD.

Frankly, Holy has always had a big bag of tricks and with 4.0 and Cata the amount of abilities and CDs has gone up by more than a fair amount. I'm ok with everything, save for the current method of Chakra juggling. It's not impossible, I'm in no way implying that, but it's just too tedious.

Please please please consider making it a toggle aura/aspect like pallies and hunters have. Keep a 30 second internal CD on swapping states, but let us chose and maintain the state easier than this.

/beg

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I think Chakra isn't a stance because they don't want you to be entitled to whatever state you choose. If it's just a one-time cooldown, then there's little to no opportunity to make the wrong choice. With having to repeatedly expend the cooldown, you have multiple instances per fight (about every 30-45 seconds) to re-assess the fight and respecialize (or potentially mis-specialize).
Reply Quote
Chakra is pretty easy to keep up in either state, honestly.

But I still think it would be better if it were a aura-like spell you could toggle between. In my opinion, Chakra should be something that lets you react to whatever situation you need. If you're, say, raid heals, and the tank healer dies, you should be able to instantly swap states to Serenity, keep the tank alive long enough for the tank healer to get a combat rez, and then get back to your AoE state before the boss does his uber mega AoE of death. If you were to try that with the current Chakra, you go "Ok, I got the tank for now! Ok, tank healer's back up, I have just enough to switch back to Sanctuary Chakra before the boss casts his AoE....crap".

It's much better with the 30 second cooldown and it's not a humongous issue, but I still think it'd be a lot more fun if you could swap when you wanted to. A good player would maximize uptime on the Chakra states he has to be in, while a bad player would just brute force his way in the same Chakra for the whole fight. It would remove a chance for error, but honestly, it's a chance for error that no other healer has to deal with and plan around (apart from a druid popping Tree of Life, but that's different since it's a very powerful cooldown for burst healing).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/07/2010 10:10 AMPosted by Flintte
If you're, say, raid heals, and the tank healer dies, you should be able to instantly swap states to Serenity, keep the tank alive long enough for the tank healer to get a combat rez, and then get back to your AoE state before the boss does his uber mega AoE of death. If you were to try that with the current Chakra, you go "Ok, I got the tank for now! Ok, tank healer's back up, I have just enough to switch back to Sanctuary Chakra before the boss casts his AoE....crap".

That's kind of why Chakra exists: to let you capitalize on your spellbook and specialize on a task without being all things all the time. For you to be able to switch whenever you want not only defeats that, but also makes Chakra a pretty hollow mechanic. =]
Reply Quote
12/07/2010 10:15 AMPosted by Believe
12/07/2010 10:10 AMPosted by Flintte
If you're, say, raid heals, and the tank healer dies, you should be able to instantly swap states to Serenity, keep the tank alive long enough for the tank healer to get a combat rez, and then get back to your AoE state before the boss does his uber mega AoE of death. If you were to try that with the current Chakra, you go "Ok, I got the tank for now! Ok, tank healer's back up, I have just enough to switch back to Sanctuary Chakra before the boss casts his AoE....crap".

That's kind of why Chakra exists: to let you capitalize on your spellbook and specialize on a task without being all things all the time. For you to be able to switch whenever you want not only defeats that, but also makes Chakra a pretty hollow mechanic. =]

As interesting as it is, it still kinda sucks that every other healer can do equally well as a tank healer or a raid healer at any given time. If the above scenario happens, any other healer can quickly swap roles with no penalty. But priests can't.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/07/2010 12:14 PMPosted by Flintte
As interesting as it is, it still kinda sucks that every other healer can do equally well as a tank healer or a raid healer at any given time. If the above scenario happens, any other healer can quickly swap roles with no penalty. But priests can't.

This is because (Holy) Priests have a more nuanced skillset that they bring to a particular job.

A Shaman, for example, who's switching from raid healing to tank healing has the three direct heals and Riptide for an instant heal. Unleash Weapon is useful if the Shaman is forced to move.

A Holy Priest who's switching from raid healing to tank healing has the three direct heals and HW: Serenity for an instant heal. That Priest will also have Mending for an efficient instant heal that can potentially be a lot of burst healing if it bounces between tanks, or that can help out in raid healing, along with a Shield for an instant heal that can help the tank sprint to where she needs to be. The Holy Priest also won't have to spend GCDs on Renew like that Shaman might spend GCDs on Earth Shield.

Not saying one's better or worse, but there's something to be said for having a more specialized set of tools, even if you need to pick a mode to be up to par.
Edited by Believe on 12/7/2010 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Chakra seems to be fine and pretty cool little spell but the Smite Chakra needs a change, my Smite seems to be hitting a lot less than Discipline without Archangel talents while within the Holy Chakra-Smite. The dots and Mind Blast even hits about as hard as Smite which just puzzles me, meanwhile without any Archangel talents my Discipline Smite was critting for 9.8k and usually hitting for a little under 6-7k can't remember.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
My head hurts, time to go fish!
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

12/07/2010 12:31 PMPosted by Believe
This is because (Holy) Priests have a more nuanced skillset that they bring to a particular job.

I don't believe this is true anymore. With the expansion of the healset of other healers... holy is less nuanced and more "overspecialized" imo.

12/07/2010 12:31 PMPosted by Believe
A Shaman, for example, who's switching from raid healing to tank healing has the three direct heals and Riptide for an instant heal. Unleash Weapon is useful if the Shaman is forced to move.

A Holy Priest who's switching from raid healing to tank healing has the three direct heals and HW: Serenity for an instant heal. That Priest will also have Mending for an efficient instant heal that can potentially be a lot of burst healing if it bounces between tanks, or that can help out in raid healing, along with a Shield for an instant heal that can help the tank sprint to where she needs to be. The Holy Priest also won't have to spend GCDs on Renew like that Shaman might spend GCDs on Earth Shield.

I disagree with your comparison. Both specs have the core three heals. Both specs have a tank mitigation effect. The priest has mending that will bounce off the tank, while the shammy has earth shield. The holy priest does have a shield, but it is very weak. The holy priest has renew, but the shaman can chain heal off the tank, healing the tank and the melee around him. I think both specs have an equal number of viable abilities, whereas the shaman doesn't have to worry about chakra. The priest toolbox is a myth. The classes are really pretty well balanced without the extra burden of chakra. The edge a holy has is guardian spirit, while the shaman can raid and tank heal effectively with a single spell.

[quote="13055742554"]Not saying one's better or worse, but there's something to be said for having a more specialized set of tools, even if you need to pick a mode to be up to par.[/quote]

I disagree. The specialized tools that require more work to be up to par is inherently inefficient. While I don't disagree that they are fairly balanced in potential, the extra work that holy has to do is imo a disadvantage. This is also not taking into account the mana inefficiency of holy. I could easily say there is something to be said for efficiency and more versatile spells that allow you to do more with fewer spells. While a Rube Goldberg device is fun to watch, there is a reason they are impractical.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
Chakra is just 'clunky' right now. It's not so much that it's a bad idea as poorly implemented.

Consider the Holy Words. You've got Chastise (short cooldown instant), Serenity (short cooldown instacast) and... Sanctuary? (short cooldown AE ground target cast spell). This especially makes no sense given that Holy Priests have had a short cooldown instant AE heal for years (Circle of Healing). Making Circle of Healing the Holy Word and Sanctuary an independent talent makes a lot of sense.

Beyond that, the Holy Words are buggy with the state change. Why not just Priests three different spells and have them share a cooldown? Probably because they decided to make Sanctuary the Holy Word rather than Circle of Healing (which could legitimately share a cooldown with Serenity/Chastise).

The 'Chakra activation' also leaves a lot to be desired. They could have just as easily made Holy Words activate the corresponding Chakra and saved people a keypress. You'd still have the cooldown, but you wouldn't need to macro everything to make it work.

For that matter, not making Chakras a stance considerably limits macro options. You can very easily still put a cooldown on it while making them stances.
Reply Quote
84 Worgen Priest
12/07/2010 3:37 PMPosted by Sacredscythe
Chakra seems to be fine and pretty cool little spell but the Smite Chakra needs a change, my Smite seems to be hitting a lot less than Discipline without Archangel talents while within the Holy Chakra-Smite. The dots and Mind Blast even hits about as hard as Smite which just puzzles me, meanwhile without any Archangel talents my Discipline Smite was critting for 9.8k and usually hitting for a little under 6-7k can't remember.

Well, keep in mind that Disc has +15% int buffing Smite whereas Holy's base modifier doesn't effect it.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
It's also important to remember that a Holy Priest who wants to be able to do some damage in the end-game can combine Chakra and Evangelism for a +35% bonus, while a Discipline Priest can only ever have the 20% from Evangelism.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Honestly theres no reason for it to not be a stance/state atm its just annoying and half the time it doesn't even work when your trying to reapply it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I don't know why they can't get rid of chakra and just turn the benefits into talents. I am sure that priests are balanced around those benefits, anyway... why make them jump through hoops to get them?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]