When does it get better? [PvP]

14 Tauren Paladin
First off this is my first toon ever, just started this account cause a friend of mine talked about how great PvP in WoW is and got me really interested. Second I level 10 not sure why it says I'm level 3.

So I just tried battlegrounds tonight for the first time, and I have to ask does it ever get better? Not the fact that I get better abilities or gear, but will I ever be able to kill anyone in that heirloom crap everyone seems to have?

Example: Found a level 10 Affliction Warlock Heirlooms. He isn't paying attention to me so I Judgement, Crusader, he notices me and get Corruption and a Bane on me. I Hammer of Justice, Crusader, Judgement, War Stomp, Templar's Verdict. He goes to 50% health in 7 seconds next second I die from his 2 dots. WTH?

The only kills I get the entire match were sniping people running away from a pack of fellow Horde with my Judgement. Also its not like everyone was 3-4 level higher than me everyone in the battleground was 10-12.

Am I just bad? Or do I just need to avoid PvP until I get an 85, grind until I find this magic heirloom gear, and then roll another character to enjoy leveling in PvP?

Sorry for ranting but I really want to get some PvP experience before I reach 85 and it looks like a its an upstream swim.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Heirloom gear is powerful but it's not significantly better than blue gear you can pull out of 5 man dungeons. You're also at the bottom of your PvP bracket which is only compounding your problems. The lower the level, the less abilities each player has to shift the balance between good and bad play. Gaining access to more abilities is going to reward better play. Where you're at most players have little more than an autoattack, the defenses and counters that accumulate as you level aren't available to you yet.
Edited by Lizaminelli on 12/8/2010 12:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Low level PVP is very simplistic. As such, especially in the first bracket (10-14), gear makes a very noticable difference. As you get into your 20s and 30s and start accumulating blue and green gear yourself, heirloom'd opponents start just blending in with everyone else. Once you get a little gear, paladins at low levels are extremely powerful. You will be able to kill anyone you meet within a HoJ soon enough.
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight
spec prot for low lvl pvp. now you can kill that lock.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Yes. Minus a few imbalances, group PvP at level 70-85 is much better than the bracket you are in.

Blizzard is not balancing for PvP at level 10.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You should probably not be retribution. Try holy to be tough to kill and heal your guys and have them kill the lock or go protection spec. Also, heirloom gear is not better than blue dungeon gear. It does scale however.
Reply Quote
88 Orc Warrior
As you get higher level, heirloom gear loses some of its potency, and things become more balanced. This does teach you a lesson about warcraft pvp though, gear can often surpass skill.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Honestly if this is your first character, and you are playing WoW for PvP I'd try a different class.

Paladins in PvP are limited to holy (healer) at end-game (anything ret can do can be done better by another class)

If you want to play melee I'd personally suggest a warrior, or DK (which you could make once you get a character to 55).

If you want to play a healer almost any healer has its place in some form or another (though priests arent as strong as they once were they will get there eventually) so play the healer that suits your style. I have an 80 priest and shammy and I love the shammy for healing in PvP.

Just my thoughts.
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 12:16 AMPosted by Lizaminelli
Heirloom gear is powerful but it's not significantly better than blue gear you can pull out of 5 man dungeons. You're also at the bottom of your PvP bracket which is only compounding your problems. The lower the level, the less abilities each player has to shift the balance between good and bad play. Gaining access to more abilities is going to reward better play. Where you're at most players have little more than an autoattack, the defenses and counters that accumulate as you level aren't available to you yet.

This statement is so wrong I don't know where to begin. Caster heirloom weapons have such a huge gap in spellpower compared to blues at lower levels its insane. They need to be brought to be marginally better than blues at that gear level. I do agree that when you get more abilities it helps. It also helps to gear up and go in BGs in the last 2 levels before your bracket changes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]