New caster weapon enchant..

85 Gnome Warrior
"Increases your hit rating by 40. Reduces silence duration by 50%"

Then make all silences 8-10 sec baseline.

If melee don't get to PvP with a PvE weapon enchant why should casters?
Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Sounds like a good idea, except that casters would somehow use the change to argue even more fervently against hunters being allowed to be dangerous in melee range.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Silences should be 10s baseline anyhow, to balance with disarms. Alternatively, disarm duration should be lowered to silence duration levels.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Except when you are disarmed you can still use some abilities. Casters are 100% shut down while silenced. Nice try tho.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/07/2010 10:18 AMPosted by Glodd
Sounds like a good idea, except that casters would somehow use the change to argue even more fervently against hunters being allowed to be dangerous in melee range.

because no one wants warriors that can disengage and do the same amount of damage...
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Hunter
12/07/2010 10:38 AMPosted by Eveliana
Except when you are disarmed you can still use some abilities. Casters are 100% shut down while silenced. Nice try tho.

What can a warrior or rogue use while disarmed?

Thunderclap? Demo shout?

Yeah..about that. Only a few abilities are active for melee classes when disarmed (paladins can use judgement which hits like a wet noodle and exorcism if it procs) but 90% of their damage output is gone. Most casters have a DoT or pet that can be doing some damage while silenced, exactly like melee have a few abilities that they can use while disarmed (these abilities are blocked out by silences, so should casters be effected by disarms too?).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight

DKs can, sure, but what about every other melee in the game? Try not to look at everything in a vacuum. In any case, a DK being unable to melee is pretty impotent regardless--the best they can do is HB as Frost, but not from Oblit Rime procs; or DC as Unholy, but have pitiful RP generation due to lack of melee swings... which means hardly any HBs or DCs. And then to twist the knife they can be further hindered after the disarm with a silence, making DKs one of the most susceptible classes to long chains of effective CC.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

What can I do? I can use my trinket...I can...battle shout!

Oh and I can charge.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Hunter
12/07/2010 10:44 AMPosted by Sinseer

DKs can, sure, but what about every other melee in the game? Try not to look at everything in a vacuum. In any case, a DK being unable to melee is pretty impotent regardless--the best they can do is HB as Frost, but not from Oblit Rime procs; or DC as Unholy, but have pitiful RP generation due to lack of melee swings... which means hardly any HBs or DCs. And then to twist the knife they can be further hindered after the disarm with a silence, making DKs one of the most susceptible classes to long chains of effective CC.

Paladins/shaman suffer from this too. Even warriors get hit with silence (can't taunt/tclap/shout).

Rogues are the only physical damage class I can think of that isn't affected by silence (I think hunters lose a few abilities to it for some reason, I want to say it's traps and something else but I haven't been silenced on my hunter in a while so I don't remember).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Paladins/shaman suffer from this too. Even warriors get hit with silence (can't taunt/tclap/shout).

Rogues are the only physical damage class I can think of that isn't affected by silence (I think hunters lose a few abilities to it for some reason, I want to say it's traps and something else but I haven't been silenced on my hunter in a while so I don't remember).

True Pallies and Enhance Shammies suffer in the same way; being a melee/caster hybrid is something of a double-edged sword in this regard. Unfortunately it seems like most people who don't play them only see the benefits and none of the consequences with regard to CC chains. Warriors really don't lose much from silence; certainly not the same way that pallies/dks/shammies do. Hybrids of this nature have the diversity of both melee and casted abilities; but they are also reliant on both melee and casted abilities to operate at their full potential--shutting down one equates to cutting off one of two legs... sure you can still hobble around all gimp like, but you're not really able to do much.
Edited by Sinseer on 12/7/2010 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/07/2010 10:46 AMPosted by Såje

Oh and I can charge.

The better response would have been;

"When melee can also have their swing timers pushed back and can be 'interrupted' to have their 'melee school of damage' shut down for 5-10 seconds ... then we can talk about Silence vs. Disarm durations."
Edited by Qbert on 12/7/2010 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Hunter
12/07/2010 11:07 AMPosted by Qbert
[quote="13055140778"]Except when you are disarmed you can still use some abilities. Casters are 100% shut down while silenced. Nice try tho.

Oh and I can charge.

"When melee can also have their swing timers pushed back and can be 'interrupted' to have their 'melee school of damage' shut down for 5-10 seconds ... then we can talk about Silence vs. Disarm durations."[/quote]

Different classes are different. When casters can do almost nothing while rooted blah blah blah.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
12/07/2010 11:07 AMPosted by Qbert
[quote="13055140778"]Except when you are disarmed you can still use some abilities. Casters are 100% shut down while silenced. Nice try tho.

Oh and I can charge.

"When melee can also have their swing timers pushed back and can be 'interrupted' to have their 'melee school of damage' shut down for 5-10 seconds ... then we can talk about Silence vs. Disarm durations."[/quote]

It's called range. It interrupts autoattacks pretty effectively.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
why the hell does it make a difference what enchant is on your weapon, so long as the final product is balanced?

if you think the power of a single weapon enchant is going to make or break you in pvp, you are delusional.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Hunter
12/07/2010 11:24 AMPosted by Cihlardr
why the hell does it make a difference what enchant is on your weapon, so long as the final product is balanced?

if you think the power of a single weapon enchant is going to make or break you in pvp, you are delusional.

It makes a pretty big difference actually. The difference between attacks with and without zerking in LK was definitely noticeable throughout the entire expansion.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/07/2010 11:20 AMPosted by Bredman

OK, then let me wear plate if that's the range subsidy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/07/2010 10:43 AMPosted by Dumpydump

Defensive cooldowns? CC? Even what you have listed is more than casters can do wile silenced.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Hunter
12/07/2010 11:40 AMPosted by Eveliana
12/07/2010 10:43 AMPosted by Dumpydump

Defensive cooldowns? CC? Even what you have listed is more than casters can do wile silenced.

A warrior can't use shield block, shield wall, or spell reflect (defensive cooldowns) when he doesn't have a shield. Warrior can't use shouts while silenced too btw, and it doesn't help if they get disarmed and their target gets out of range of intimidating shout (not too difficult).
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
12/07/2010 11:40 AMPosted by Qbert
12/07/2010 11:20 AMPosted by Bredman

OK, then let me wear plate if that's the range subsidy.

Yeah.. our plate is really useful for those incoming ice lances and dots.

[quote="13055141361"][quote="13057941464"]
[/quote]
Defensive cooldowns? CC? Even what you have listed is more than casters can do wile silenced.[/quote]

You can ice block, disperse, bubble, etc while silenced.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]