Ret Pallies - How Do You Do It?

85 Human Paladin
I am holy/prot. While leveling for Cata I decided to try ret again so mobs would go down faster. I quickly changed back to my prot spec.

The rotation (if you can call it that) I had problems with. Besides CS and judgement I was waiting for procs or holy power. Outside of procs that may never come, what do you do?

The damage wasn't that much better than prot. Plus, as prot my survivability was a lot better. It was no big deal to keep chain pulling adds as prot.

I will say that when the stars aligned, the damage was great.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
There is some mod out there that tells you exactly what spell to use and when to use it lol. That's how they all do it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I ran prot and holy before Cata, but swtiched holy to ret with our last talent dump for leveling purposes. I had a full set of ICC gear to use and I'm finding very little down time in Cata. Honestly, I don't think that nuts and bolts of the ret rotation differs all that much from prot. CS with one or two mobs, DS with 3 or more. When AoW procs, use it. If I find that my health is dwindling, I'll spened my holy power on Word of Glory instead of TV. I'm sure the survivability of prot is much better and I'll probably try questing with that later today just to compare... but so far, ret has been easy.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Survivability for Protection, is amazing. The only problem is that you better actually start pulling 3 - 5 mobs if you can. You start out doing just fine, then after a couple levels it hits and goes nice and slow... From what I have heard, being a Shockadin would be a more viable choice, especially single target mobs.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I did the first half of 80 as holy/shock. By then, I got enough green gear for ret and switched. I love it.

Prot is probably better and easier. Ret is fun, you have to pay attention to actually bring down mobs faster. When I'm waiting around for procs, I usually just use holy wrath even if it's not an AoE situation. But so far, there's not much downtime in the rotation.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yeah, it seems like with holy my survivability was MUCH better, I switched to ret to take down mobs faster.

However, with ret I die much, MUCH quicker. Eh, it's kinda a trade off I suppose...I can only take about 2-3 people until my health goes down too quickly.
Reply Quote
Judge to run in, CS, HW then wait less than a second for another CS...then judge is off CD. By then you should have 2 or 3 HoPo...TV and finish em off with another CS, I save Judge for my next mob so I can run in. All the while getting AoW procs and HoL for TV and WoG...it's really pretty smooth. When things get rough just Wings + Hammer = win.

I usually end up with 2 or 3 leftover HoPo so can heal up with Word of Glory in between mobs.
Edited by Thoria on 12/8/2010 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I did about three hours yesterday on Mt. Hyjal as a new 80 ret. I had the Savage Saronite armor set and the Titansteel destroyer, pretty average for a new. I am finding the ret mechanic to be clunky with to many auto attack spans while everything is on cool down and much to much rng. The rng makes the fights feast or famine. You can fight a mob and down it fast and then fight the same mob and do the same thing and be in for a long slog. I don't know if it is just me, but after getting my dangle to fully glow I throw TV and it seems to hit like a wet noodle. TV seems to be a real let down for our signature stike that we have to spend time (CS - filler, repeat and hope for a proc) to use. The only real good attack that we seem to have is Exo when we get an AW proc. Yes a ret pally can do it at 80, but the devs have really taken the fun out of the class / spec. Really sad. I am going to run my new 80 lock through the same content and see the differences.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Double post deleted
Edited by Asbalanadeux on 12/8/2010 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've been ret for a very long time now and love it. My typical fight goes , judge as a closer , CS , judge , holy wraith if I really have to and procs. I cant use the holy power and procs fast enough. I think wonce you get more mastery rating ( my mastery proc rates are over 17% now with a few quest pieces in vash ) it becomes alot easier. Also if you are having survival issues use your proc and holy power on the heal. I've been able to take 3 mobs at a time with out to much issue. Im also expirementing with using a one handed fast weapon and shield as ret and focusing on haste and mastery rating to generate alot of proc in a very short time. Im trying to see if the increased procs of TV and exo can make up for the dps. I started this exp with the manuel crowd pumbler and haste potions LOL. go look up the weapon if you down know about it.
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 7:44 AMPosted by Asbalanadeux
I did about three hours yesterday on Mt. Hyjal as a new 80 ret. I had the Savage Saronite armor set and the Titansteel destroyer, pretty average for a new. I am finding the ret mechanic to be clunky with to many auto attack spans while everything is on cool down and much to much rng. The rng makes the fights feast or famine. You can fight a mob and down it fast and then fight the same mob and do the same thing and be in for a long slog. I don't know if it is just me, but after getting my dangle to fully glow I throw TV and it seems to hit like a wet noodle. TV seems to be a real let down for our signature stike that we have to spend time (CS - filler, repeat and hope for a proc) to use. The only real good attack that we seem to have is Exo when we get an AW proc. Yes a ret pally can do it at 80, but the devs have really taken the fun out of the class / spec. Really sad. I am going to run my new 80 lock through the same content and see the differences.

Comparing your experience to mine and comparing gear, I have a ton more haste so waiting around for an ability isn't an issue for me. CS comes off CD a little after the GCD.

I wouldn't write off ret completely. I would think that after everyone gets to 85 and gear comes in line with what our class is designed for, people will find it more enjoyable. Plus I doubt they will leave ret the way it is. I see them changing our mastery and changing inquisition. I am very close to giving up but I am going to stick with it and cross my fingers...and level my mage on the side!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
12/08/2010 8:18 AMPosted by Cylancer
Im also expirementing with using a one handed fast weapon and shield as ret and focusing on haste and mastery rating to generate alot of proc in a very short time. Im trying to see if the increased procs of TV and exo can make up for the dps. I started this exp with the manuel crowd pumbler and haste potions LOL. go look up the weapon if you down know about it.

This sounds interesting. I've always used a two hander, but it would be nice to know if using a one handed and shield would cause more procs and make up for the damage. I find that most fights go well for me, and I get procs without problem. But there will be fights where I feel almost lost (like I should be doing something more), because I'm not getting any procs. I'm not having any survivability issues yet, and with the respawn rate the way it is right now, I've been fighting 2 or 3 mobs constantly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm leveling Ret. I generally keep up Seal of Insight while leveling. Things die really fast, I can chain pull no problem and take the beating of multiple mobs at once, and have zero downtime.

The only problem is AOEing mobs down isn't the fastest, but I can run around tagging a ton of mobs (so all the millions of other people around don't get them =P) cast a divine storm and single target them down without fear of dying.
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 9:19 AMPosted by Babyfactory
I'm leveling Ret. I generally keep up Seal of Insight while leveling. Things die really fast, I can chain pull no problem and take the beating of multiple mobs at once, and have zero downtime.

The only problem is AOEing mobs down isn't the fastest, but I can run around tagging a ton of mobs (so all the millions of other people around don't get them =P) cast a divine storm and single target them down without fear of dying.

Sounds like what i do hehe I should try Insight though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@ Cylancer and Keogh

1 h and shield will never make up for a decent 2 hander, u lose way too much top end weapon damage, not to mention melee strength when you drop ur 2 hander.

have fun with it while questing, but will never be viable for raiding:(

sorry
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Chain pulling is hard as ret? news to me. I just run in kill whatever i want and be done with it.

If i need more than a word of glory heal, i can just do a 30,000 holy light after i kill something lol.
Reply Quote
Chain pulling is hard as ret?

No, but single pulling is if you lack depth perception in the underwater zones. D:

They really don't look that far apart at times...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 9:51 AMPosted by Yzak
Chain pulling is hard as ret?

No, but single pulling is if you lack depth perception in the underwater zones. D:

They really don't look that far apart at times...

I completely agree! I killed some mob, took a tiny step forward to loot... why the hell can't I loot! Dangit I hate loot lag! Move my camera angle a little... oh... he's far away from me...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ya , i wasnt going to take it into a raid. Just some mildly curiosity on my part. It may have just been my bad weapons but my testing on the boss dummy in SW with my 2 hander , at the time tyranical beheader and then using the manuel crowder pummler and haste potions yeidled ~200 dps difference. I just want to see how close I can get to a 2her.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]