Ret Pallies - How Do You Do It?

91 Tauren Paladin
12/08/2010 9:38 AMPosted by Rètbull
@ Cylancer and Keogh

1 h and shield will never make up for a decent 2 hander, u lose way too much top end weapon damage, not to mention melee strength when you drop ur 2 hander.

have fun with it while questing, but will never be viable for raiding:(

sorry

Did he say anything about raiding?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Agree with most posts here about RET survivability, ease of the kill and heals. At 81 Im still feeling ok about the mobs.....what I havent done yet is compare it to other classes PvP wise. At the end of life in all Wraith gear (Lich King) it was usually a 50/50 survive chance against most classes if the timing was right and equal gear. If it at least stays this way throught 85 gearing I won't be disappointed and still love playing RET.

Will stick with it.
Edited by Elsey on 12/8/2010 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
85 Paladin here, Leveled as Ret.

NEVER

AGAIN

EVER

It was the WORST leveling experience in my life. I personally was going for server first paladin (missed by an hour or two) and it was horrible. When things didn't proc mobs would take minutes to kill, more than 2 mobs were a mission to survive. i watched mages kill 3 mobs to my 1. The rotation is a pain in the place the sun don;t shine, things are on CD....stand and do bad white damage, and if you mess the rotation up (which i did because of anxiously wanting to kill a target) Templers verdict does around 10% of it's supposed damage. I wouldn't say it takes skill to play ret but it isn't a faceroll anymore, and actually requires constant awareness.

Go ret. Go holy. ANything is better than this worthless spec.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
12/08/2010 1:12 PMPosted by Vandalist

NEVER

AGAIN

EVER

It was the WORST leveling experience in my life. I personally was going for server first paladin (missed by an hour or two) and it was horrible. When things didn't proc mobs would take minutes to kill, more than 2 mobs were a mission to survive. i watched mages kill 3 mobs to my 1. The rotation is a pain in the place the sun don;t shine, things are on CD....stand and do bad white damage, and if you mess the rotation up (which i did because of anxiously wanting to kill a target) Templers verdict does around 10% of it's supposed damage. I wouldn't say it takes skill to play ret but it isn't a faceroll anymore, and actually requires constant awareness.

You are doing it very wrong. And whats with all this using TV with less then 3 HP?...

if you were constantly doing this...I can only imagine your playstyle.

Ret is the fastest by far. Even with all the RNG, theres no debate. Ret is much faster.

Also, they fixed the mastery bug, you no longer need at least 1 HP to use the mastery proc, which is really nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

NEVER

AGAIN

EVER

Then you either have bad gear or don't know what you're doing. For me it was the opposite (though mages are crazy). I would be on my third mob while the other 50 people around me were still on their first or just getting to their second. I mow through them. Minutes? Even if I JUST used all my HP on the previous mob and my CS is on CD it still doesn't take but 10 seconds max to kill something.

More than 2 mobs were a mission to survive? I would pull 5 or more just so other people wouldn't tag them and I'd easily kill them ending with full or close to full life.

I think you were just doing it wrong =P
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
12/08/2010 1:40 PMPosted by Nikolas

NEVER

AGAIN

EVER

You are doing it very wrong. And whats with all this using TV with less then 3 HP?...

if you were constantly doing this...I can only imagine your playstyle.

Ret is the fastest by far. Even with all the RNG, theres no debate. Ret is much faster.

Also, they fixed the mastery bug, you no longer need at least 1 HP to use the mastery proc, which is really nice.

I'm glad to hear they fixed that! :)

Have a Tasty Cupcake on the house ;)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Leveling as ret is actually a breeze. I top dps meters on almost every instance im in and might as well be offtanking also. Tried prot for a little and I found myself missing the big numbers and movement speed increase. I can almost always 3 shot a mob my level and can aoe pretty well.

By design, I hope ret never becomes top dps because they never should be, but I DO hope blizz isnt going to make me spec prot/holy to be viable endgame.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
12/08/2010 8:41 AMPosted by Thoria
[quote="13055152013"]I did about three hours yesterday on Mt. Hyjal as a new 80 ret. I had the Savage Saronite armor set and the Titansteel destroyer, pretty average for a new. I am finding the ret mechanic to be clunky with to many auto attack spans while everything is on cool down and much to much rng. The rng makes the fights feast or famine. You can fight a mob and down it fast and then fight the same mob and do the same thing and be in for a long slog. I don't know if it is just me, but after getting my dangle to fully glow I throw TV and it seems to hit like a wet noodle. TV seems to be a real let down for our signature stike that we have to spend time (CS - filler, repeat and hope for a proc) to use. The only real good attack that we seem to have is Exo when we get an AW proc. Yes a ret pally can do it at 80, but the devs have really taken the fun out of the class / spec. Really sad. I am going to run my new 80 lock through the same content and see the differences.

Quote - Comparing your experience to mine and comparing gear, I have a ton more haste so waiting around for an ability isn't an issue for me. CS comes off CD a little after the GCD.

I wouldn't write off ret completely. I would think that after everyone gets to 85 and gear comes in line with what our class is designed for, people will find it more enjoyable. Plus I doubt they will leave ret the way it is. I see them changing our mastery and changing inquisition. I am very close to giving up but I am going to stick with it and cross my fingers...and level my mage on the side! - Quote

Thanks for your kind response. I will not give up on my ret pally and will continue to grow him. One reason that I took him to Hyjal is to l2p by actually doing so and learning on post 80 content. I am responding on my Lock because it is also a newish 80. I hit 80 a while back and then tried the pally and almost never played (except for the Alch and Herb skills and a few other things) the Lock again. When I first tried the pally, I thought I found my home. The reason for the lock here is that I tried the same Hyjal beginning quests this morning that I did last night on my pally. I was surprised on how much faster the kills were with the lock. The biggest surprise, I should say shock, is that the cloth lock takes considerably less damage from mob melee hits than the plate pally does. The difference is huge. One reason that I went to the pally is that from time to time it is fun to stand toe to toe and slug it out. That is what plate if for. I also have a 76 frost mage which I started post 4.01 after my disappointment with the post patch pally. He is also a killer and it will be fun to see what he will do in the post 80 content. Thanks again, nice responses are always appreciated.

Edited because I messed up the quotes
Edited by Asbalana on 12/8/2010 2:31 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]