Shockadin leveling is better than ret

90 Human Paladin
yeah, but holy's combat system doesn't sound and look like a pachinko machine, does it?

i thought not.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It was awesome at 80 but as I get higher and higher the stats shrink too much. Also from 80 to 82 I got a whopping two spellpower plate pieces.
Edited by Paincake on 12/9/2010 4:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
It's what I've been doing. Dungeons are a breeze (yay queueing as healer and topping charts) and I am a god in PvP. The questing part is a bit dull though, but I only do it for a few levels every ten levels.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 4:02 PMPosted by Indirect
You all got trolled.

If you shockadin level past deepholm lol have fun for the next month leveling.

and hit 85 like me in only 15 hours, guess it wasn't that slow afterall :)
Edited by Llyria on 12/9/2010 6:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I leveled Shockadin, the only problem I had was mana and slow kill rates as I neared 85.

12/08/2010 4:02 PMPosted by Indirect
You all got trolled.

If you shockadin level past deepholm lol have fun for the next month leveling.

Had no problems, just slow.
Reply Quote
Before settling on Prot/Holy, I played around with Prot/Ret.

Ret has some advantages (again, based on the amount of time played as ret before dropping it for holy)

Mount speed increase (very helpful since many quests have you running from one end of a zone to another....repeatedly)

DS has been improved (compared to using holy power), and fits into a rotation better,

Holy power generation had started getting much better.

I stuck with holy simply because I found it more fun (and I do enjoy healing):

Holy probably has the quickest holy power generation (but holy power has the least amount of use solowise)
Holy never really seems to go down in Health, and if you do, one judgement usually fills you back up.
The exorcism buff helps quite a bit to burn down mobs (this should help Ret also).

But these are just the opinions of a lvl 60. This may be an entirely different game at 80-85.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Our server first paladin 85 was a holy shockadin lol.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I am currently leveling as holy (5% from 83), meanwhile my spouse is leveling as ret. We were pretty even as far as being able to kill til he used his blacksmithing to replace his gear at 83 and now he is flying by me and killing everything much faster than I possibly can and his questing is going much easier and faster than mine. I find that as health pools got bigger if I pull more than a few things or if things respawn while I am still fighting I may be OOM by doing flash of lights on myself just to stay alive, and if I get interrupted while doing exorcism this is usually the case when pulling more than 2 in certain areas. If I could play ret I would definetely switch over and have him make me some gear for ret, but I feel it is much more clumsy and messy than holy and since I have no intention upon switching to DPS at 85 I am going to keep going as holy...

So in my opinion if your willing to spend the gold on gear ret would work out great in my opinion, but if not holy works fine too, just slower....
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/09/2010 8:55 AMPosted by Lundgren
Maybe in WOTLK, but in Cata? Tried it and no.

Shockadin damage is average, and the Holy Shock range is way less than a Retadin's Judgement. If a Ret isn't opening with a 40 yard Judgement, they're doing it wrong!

Shockers don't have a very good utility for pulling multiple mobs. I can pull 3-4 Cata mobs around my level, switch to Seal of Righteousness and Divine Storm, and bring them all down. I don't think a Shocker could do that very well.

The shocker can too... just heal up and laugh at the damage
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 10:44 AMPosted by Crigily

How come the scientist in you doesn't require proper experimentation to back up claims that holy is quicker for leveling? Especially since it would logically be the less likely scenario of the two.

I never claimed Holy would be faster for leveling. Also, I'm not sure you can claim that Holy would "logically" be less likely. I can plug a lot of things into my logic engine, and come out either way. Logic has nothing to do with it, really.

12/09/2010 6:47 AMPosted by Llyria

and hit 85 like me in only 15 hours, guess it wasn't that slow afterall :)

Our server first paladin 85 was a holy shockadin lol.

These, on the other hand, do certainly serve as concrete examples that leveling as Shockadin certainly is no slouch. How many Rets leveled 80-85 in under a day /played?
Edited by Jantilla on 12/9/2010 5:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
These, on the other hand, do certainly serve as concrete examples that leveling as Shockadin certainly is no slouch. How many Rets leveled 80-85 in under a day /played?

Realm firsts on both mine, and my brother's realm were ret paladins, both on the date of release. Just putting that out there.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 6:23 PMPosted by Braveone

Realm firsts on both mine, and my brother's realm were ret paladins, both on the date of release. Just putting that out there.

Well, it sounds like they're both competitive, then. Which, really, has been my point for... oh, going on a year now? Granted, things are certainly quite different now...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 8:46 AMPosted by Jantilla

Arcane Mages are so boring. Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast...

You've got other spells. Experiment.

Those spells don't crit for 24k on a 2 second cast time.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 8:11 PMPosted by Mike
12/08/2010 8:46 AMPosted by Jantilla

Arcane Mages are so boring. Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast...

You've got other spells. Experiment.

Those spells don't crit for 24k on a 2 second cast time.

Granted.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]