A humble request from a PvP Fire Mage

85 Undead Mage
Please change it so frost nova isn't broken so easily by periodic damage.

I specced into shatter so that every once in a while I might get some sort of controlled burst and perhaps a controlled hot streak proc for once... but in Blizzard's continued infinite wisdom they made it so Living Bomb ticks are affected by shatter and now a single LB DoT tick breaks Frost Nova 100% of the time - literally - ruining not only the ability to utilize the talent, but utilize Frost Nova in any meaningful way.

As a fire mage I have to diligently keep LBs up on as many targets as possible, pray for a few casted crits & a proc, while trying to survive in my toilet-paper suit. Whereas shatter could be a boost to the #1 fire issue; crit RNG / uncontrollable burst... it actually backfires making frost nova less useful. Toss us a PvP bone and let us make use of shatter rather than penalizing us for doing our job with LBs - breaking every frost nova in sight.

Note: Making this change would do absolutely nothing to benefit Frost Mages.

P.S. - If you're feeling generous, consider removing the Firestarter penalty. This penalty has meant that the crit reduction buff will never be utilized by anyone ever again; it is now a vestigial buff.
Edited by Qbert on 12/8/2010 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If they tossed Fire that particular bone as far as Frost Nova then the Frost spec would get boosted as well.....something that really doesn't need to happen.

Edit: If I am understanding you correctly anyways: still letting shatter effect LB crits but increasing the threshold on Frost Nova before it breaks.
Edited by Toragho on 12/8/2010 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Undead Mage
I think he meant that he didn't want periodic Fire Mage damage to be able to break Frost Nova.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/08/2010 8:00 AMPosted by Coulrophobia
12/08/2010 7:57 AMPosted by Notfrostvein
I think he meant that he didn't want periodic Fire Mage damage to be able to break Frost Nova.

......and I dont want periodic shadow priest damage to be able to break fear early.

Does 1 tick break fear 100% of the time? If so then I would agree. But this is a talent that makes a fire mage's spell worse ... while you can talent to make fear never break.
Edited by Qbert on 12/8/2010 8:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
how do I thumb down a post multiple times?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/08/2010 8:11 AMPosted by Calsun

So the Paladin who can dispel 50% of a Fire Mage's damage as well as Frost Nova, which is the issue of discussion, doesn't like the idea that a Fire Mage might have some tiny bit more PvP viability.

I find it ironic that people troll these forums like crazy complaining about Frost Mages... then refuse to even consider buffing the viability of non-Frost specs, which would result in fewer Frost Mages. An angry mob without perspective.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/08/2010 8:18 AMPosted by Qbert
12/08/2010 8:11 AMPosted by Calsun

So the Paladin who can dispel 50% of a Fire Mage's damage as well as Frost Nova, which is the issue of discussion, doesn't like the idea that a Fire Mage might have some tiny bit more PvP viability.

I find it ironic that people troll these forums like crazy complaining about Frost Mages... then refuse to even consider buffing the viability of non-Frost specs, which would result in fewer Frost Mages. An angry mob without perspective.

I dont pvp on this toon buddy... and you obviously dont know much about 'paladins' as they cannot dispells magic damage any more...

(read: 1 spec is not the entirety of a class, though it feels that way for paladins and PvP doesnt it?)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Also, while Im sure you believe every class (at least every class that YOU play) should have ever spec be viable for every aspect of the game (pvp v pve) its just not going to happen if Blizzard hopes to maintain any sort of balance....

There are plenty of classes with very weak pvp specs....
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/08/2010 8:26 AMPosted by Elgreezy
12/08/2010 8:18 AMPosted by Qbert
[quote="13057653266"]how do I thumb down a post multiple times?

Just report them for trolling and put them on ignore. Works for me.

Ignoring everyone that doesnt agree with you seems to be the American way...
Edited by Calsun on 12/8/2010 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/08/2010 8:27 AMPosted by Calsun
Also, while Im sure you believe every class (at least every class that YOU play) should have ever spec be viable for every aspect of the game (pvp v pve) its just not going to happen if Blizzard hopes to maintain any sort of balance....

There are plenty of classes with very weak pvp specs....

Fire has never and will never be viable in arenas. This suggestion doesn't remotely change that... and arguably still woudn't be considered viable -or at least optimal - in rated BGs... it's a small change to help one spec.

But since you don't play it and it's a mage spec... the bandwagon whipping boy class of the month ... you refuse to even debate the topic. At least the Priest troll made some resemblance of a point, you just don't want anyone's concerns heard but your own.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/08/2010 8:30 AMPosted by Coulrophobia

hey buddy, ever heard of poly morphing the paladin healer so he cant dispell anything?

This is about Frost Nova on DoTed targets... wtf are you babbling about? Poly the DoTed target then Nova him? Brilliant.

hey buddy, ever heard of catching the paladin in a heal, counter spelling him, and loading him up with dots then nuking him so he falls too far behind?

Again, what does this have to do with a single fire DoT breaking nova 100% of the time?

Cuz you know...thats what I do, except my way of doing it is considered ghetto and not as effective as counter spell. its called silence, full dots, physic horror.

Your psychic horror doesnt break on dmg if you talent it... my talent makes my nova break earlier.

you can just counter spell effectively, load dots, nuke hard.

I have one usable DoT, ignite requires a crit... pyro requires crits ... so you want me to DoT him, counter spell, then get crits into a pyro. Funny, that's the point of the whole damn thread... shatter might make that possible. Instead that would actually be; DoT, counterspell, scorch a few times for 3k dmg, maybe DB for 3k and another scorch/FB. .... a meticulous sequence using 2 cooldowns that is instantly healable unless you get lucky crits, which even then won't kill anyone unless they all crit against someone with no resilience. So you are essentially proving one of my points; the spec needs more controllable damage. Imagine having 2 of your DoTs unusable until you got a few crits... how well would you do with low crit rates?

Negged again.

Nope.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/08/2010 8:44 AMPosted by Coulrophobia

so many other specs are far far far worse off than fire mage that I find a hard hitting glass cannon spec QQing to be quite exhausting

So since Fire isn't the worst of the worst specs ... any feedback or opinion is not welcome? As a Shadow Priest I guess you shouldn't be allowed to post here either.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I agree with the OP, your opponent should be able to sit in your nova while living bomb, ignite and combustion ticks just #!%@ their HP, so you have time to get off that 2 second pyroblast that will be overkill in the first place.

/sarcasm off
Cataclysm Mage changes have brought out some real dummies that want their cake and friggin ice cream too.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]