Holy word: sanctuary cooldown

85 Blood Elf Priest
I've just been leveling as holy in dungeons for a while now and got my opinions sorted on chakra.

I find the single target chakra fine. I have good reason to go into it and I can stay in it fairly easily also. Rolling renew on tank with it feels like good mana efficiency and I like the "holy shock" we get as well as an emergency surge-healing button when I am doing most of my heals with heal spam which can't react easily to tank spikes.

But the AOE chakra has felt a bit cumbersome and useless thus far, this may only be psychological but it certainly isn't helping my enjoyment of the game. 90% of the reason for this is I believe the shorter duration on sanctuary than its cooldown. I really find myself using AOE chakra very little because I find myself using sanctuary very little, because I am saving it for a good time. This is almost irrational because it is already up 2/3rds of the time by just using it on cd but the fact is, that gap is making the whole chakra stance lose its shine to me. I want to dance between the two stances but I just don't ever feel like "wow I will go AOE chakra here and it will be perfect!"

I find I go into AOE chakra, drop the santuary, and then for the next 30 seconds I wish I was in single target chakra because I don't see myself doing anything with sanctuary again for that round of chakra state. The state has basically become a 15% aoe boost and that is just boring.

Or alternately I go into AOE chakra to spam POH and don't even bother dropping sanctuary. I admit 15% healing is powerful when spamming POH but I don't think it is an exciting use of the stance.

I just think it would be a lot funner if the sanctuary was a permanent companion while in the AOE state, you can move it every 15-20 seconds or what-have-you but you don't need to worry too much about when you want it to be up.

It's not like it heals a ridiculous amount that would make 100% uptime gamebreaking compared to 18s up/10s down.

I hope this thread can get some constructive feedback and maybe seed some consideration by blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I find I go into AOE chakra, drop the santuary, and then for the next 30 seconds I wish I was in single target chakra because I don't see myself doing anything with sanctuary again for that round of chakra state.

This means you should probably be in Heal Chakra.

I don't think 'I go into AOE Chakra and find it's the wrong thing for the situation' is a great reason to revamp Chakra or the HW abilities. =]

Or alternately I go into AOE chakra to spam POH and don't even bother dropping sanctuary.

That's fine, though. Each of your spells is supposed to be good on its own - caring about mana has made that possible. The HW abilities aren't designed (I don't think) as rewards or incentives for picking one Chakra over another.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/08/2010 9:45 AMPosted by Believe
I find I go into AOE chakra, drop the santuary, and then for the next 30 seconds I wish I was in single target chakra because I don't see myself doing anything with sanctuary again for that round of chakra state.

This means you should probably be in Heal Chakra.

I don't think 'I go into AOE Chakra and find it's the wrong thing for the situation' is a great reason to revamp Chakra or the HW abilities. =]

Or alternately I go into AOE chakra to spam POH and don't even bother dropping sanctuary.

That's fine, though. Each of your spells is supposed to be good on its own - caring about mana has made that possible. The HW abilities aren't designed (I don't think) as rewards or incentives for picking one Chakra over another.

Perhaps you are right but we are talking about actual AOE situations where I feel more effective in the heal chakra because I find it awkward to use the AOE equivalent.

In very heavy situations I find myself happily sitting in AOE chakra spamming POH. This is fine, although I wish I could make myself more willing to drop sanctuary despite the CD (perhaps I just need to get used to it?). compared to POH and COH it almost feels like it isn't worth wasting the global on it during these heavy heal situations although mathematically I imagine it is.

In light healing AOE situations, where I would expect sanctuary to excel at keeping everyone topped off with maybe COH as well, this is where I find the AOE healing state lackluster because I would rather just throw a POH/COH and stay in single target chakra than deal with the 18 seconds on/10 seconds off why-am-I-in-this-state that seems to arise from the AOE chakra.

Long story short, I want to be continuously evaluating and switching to the best state to be in, that seems like fun, but instead I seem to just know of two or three pulls across the four instances I've done so far where it is useful, and other than that just sit in single target chakra all day.
Reply Quote
66 Undead Priest
12/08/2010 9:59 AMPosted by Cybele
In very heavy situations I find myself happily sitting in AOE chakra spamming POH. This is fine, although I wish I could make myself more willing to drop sanctuary despite the CD (perhaps I just need to get used to it?). compared to POH and COH it almost feels like it isn't worth wasting the global on it during these heavy heal situations although mathematically I imagine it is.

In light healing AOE situations, where I would expect sanctuary to excel at keeping everyone topped off with maybe COH as well, this is where I find the AOE healing state lackluster because I would rather just throw a POH/COH and stay in single target chakra than deal with the 18 seconds on/10 seconds off why-am-I-in-this-state that seems to arise from the AOE chakra.

Long story short, I want to be continuously evaluating and switching to the best state to be in, that seems like fun, but instead I seem to just know of two or three pulls across the four instances I've done so far where it is useful, and other than that just sit in single target chakra all day.

I don't think AoE chakra is the best choice for light healing AoE situations, because in light situations, the tank is probably taking enough damage that single target chakra is better because you are going to be using more single target heals than AoE heals, so maybe that is part of the problem?

On heavy heal situations, I always drop sanctuary pretty much right away, that way I usually have a chance to drop it again later. I guess it might not be as much fun as single target chakra with the longer CD, but it definitely helps and the extra healing on PoH is great of course. I will have to sit down and run numbers on all these new heals someday just to see how it all compares.

And I do find myself in single target chakra (or smite chakra when things are really boring healing wise) most of the time because most of the time in 5mans you don't need much AoE healing. There will be a boss or some pulls here and there, maybe moreso if you have a lot of melee DPS, but still the single target is usually better because there is very little sustained AoE damage most of the time, which is where AoE chakra is useful. But when AoE healing is needed, it is pretty awesome :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]