How do you get really good at healing?

90 Undead Hunter
12/07/2010 4:53 PMPosted by Flintte
You know, people can say "Don't click your spells, use hotkeys!" all they want, but I still have no idea how you can keep a hand on WASD and spacebar, on your number keys (or other relevant keys) and on your mouse. I don't have three hands. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that because I have a Razer Naga now, but still, I don't even know how people can heal and still remain fully mobile while using hotkeys.

Keybind your abilities to areas around your movement keys - z, x, c, v, f, q, e; 1-6, that type of thing. After that, move on to modifiers (shift/ctrl/alt). The most useful thing is to have things in useful positions, and then just to practice - it isn't all that difficult to cast instants while strafing as long as your keys are sufficiently close*.

*and with your mouse over your raidframes, at least in my case since I heal via mouseover.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
12/06/2010 10:12 PMPosted by Heza
Practice and learning from your mistakes.

1: Gear should be obvious. Int/Spirit.
2: Priority = YOU > TANK > DPS. Do not violate this rule, if you lose a dps that's ok you have extras.
3: Think to yourself, why did that person die? What could I have done with the tools I have to have prevented it? Sometimes there is no answer, you could not have prevented it. Learn to be able to tell when something is your fault, and when it is not.
4: Triage Triage Triage. First Stabilize with hots, shields, and cooldowns. THEN heal up big damage. If you try to heal without stabilizing, you may not finish your cast in time!
5: Dispel bad debuffs from friends or damage buffs from the boss! This can seriously save you.

While generally good advice, I must note that much of it doesn't necessarily pertain to Holy Priests. With a Holy Priests, it's often better to let yourself die than let a dps die.

Similarly, it's horribly inefficient for a Holy Priest to use Renew to heal up dps while they're in Heal Chakra (which they normally would be in a 5-man), so you probably want to let people get near-dead and then pull them back with huge bursts of throughput.

Lastly, Priests very frequently leave damaging debuffs on non-tanks to let their Prayer of Mending bounce - it's far more efficient than simply removing the debuff.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Lose your pride. The day that I stopped getting pissy toward criticism was the day I started getting better. Take advice, even when people are mean about it.
Reply Quote
12/06/2010 10:12 PMPosted by Heza
Practice and learning from your mistakes.

1: Gear should be obvious. Int/Spirit.
2: Priority = YOU > TANK > DPS. Do not violate this rule, if you lose a dps that's ok you have extras.
3: Think to yourself, why did that person die? What could I have done with the tools I have to have prevented it? Sometimes there is no answer, you could not have prevented it. Learn to be able to tell when something is your fault, and when it is not.
4: Triage Triage Triage. First Stabilize with hots, shields, and cooldowns. THEN heal up big damage. If you try to heal without stabilizing, you may not finish your cast in time!
5: Dispel bad debuffs from friends or damage buffs from the boss! This can seriously save you.

Lots of practice, just stick with it. Those healers who can magically heal everything have been healing for a long time, they know what to do in any situation. Practice and you can be just like them. :)

This ^

If you follow this post and there's a wipe, someone was in fire or forgot to put on their big boy armor.
Edited by Arec on 12/8/2010 1:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/06/2010 10:15 PMPosted by Jynusenvy
Do AV. Try not to let a single person die.. ever.

trust me, a few weeks of running this and you'll be pro. Nothing is better at improving your twitch reflexes and using all your tools to stay alive than this.

This is so true. Any BG will work, honestly, but running some pvp heals to get your spells down is a great way to prep you for 5-mans. Use a mod or the ingame raid frames and experiment with heals and combos. Soon it'll be second nature.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
A lot of people have said practice, and they're completely right. However, remember that just healing ain't practice. You have to make a conscious effort to challenge yourself to get better.

Identify failing, fix it, repeat ad naseum.

On my old Resto Shaman, I couldn't keep Water Shield up as per WoL. So I downloaded power auras and made a HUMONGOUS! indicator that I had just 1 charge left and an even bigger one if I let if fall off.

Next log, I had 100% water shield uptime. So in essence, I was a tiny bit better healer.

You can't get any more basic.
Reply Quote
12/07/2010 7:50 PMPosted by Calaris

While generally good advice, I must note that much of it doesn't necessarily pertain to Holy Priests. With a Holy Priests, it's often better to let yourself die than let a dps die.

Similarly, it's horribly inefficient for a Holy Priest to use Renew to heal up dps while they're in Heal Chakra (which they normally would be in a 5-man), so you probably want to let people get near-dead and then pull them back with huge bursts of throughput.

Lastly, Priests very frequently leave damaging debuffs on non-tanks to let their Prayer of Mending bounce - it's far more efficient than simply removing the debuff.

Your advice isn't very good.

Dying as a Holy Priest gives you 10 or so seconds to continue healing, but that doesn't mean you should let yourself die before the dps. The healer is ALWAYS the top priority; if the healer dies, everyone else dies. The only time when it's not is if a boss is almost down and you need to save the tank instead, who can pop cooldowns to survive while the dps burns him down. But 99% of the time, you need to keep yourself alive.

It's actually very efficient to use Renew in the Heal Chakra. Put 5 Renews and and switch between targets, casting Heal. If you're doing it right, Renew should never expire on the targets and it does quite a lot of healing. It's not always best to do it on all 5 people, but it's very manageable on 3 targets, at least.

This one depends on the debuff. If it hits hard or ticks fast, just dispel it. A PoM could probably take care of it, but if something comes up, you don't want that ticking on your tank if he starts taking a lot more damage, such as a boss enrage or something.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
12/07/2010 2:05 PMPosted by Sekas
I do not turn with my keyboard;
He who turns with his keyboard has forgotten the face of his father.
I turn with my mouse.
I do not cast from my action bar;
He who casts from his action bar has forgotten the face of his father.
I cast with my hotkeys.
I do not heal with my spells;
He who heals with his spells has forgotten the face of his father.
I heal with my heart.

You know, people can say "Don't click your spells, use hotkeys!" all they want, but I still have no idea how you can keep a hand on WASD and spacebar, on your number keys (or other relevant keys) and on your mouse. I don't have three hands. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that because I have a Razer Naga now, but still, I don't even know how people can heal and still remain fully mobile while using hotkeys.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Santa is bringing me a Razer Naga this year, I can't wait!!
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 6:44 AMPosted by Shirel

I have a sneaking suspicion that Santa is bringing me a Razer Naga this year, I can't wait!!

It's great =)
Though word of advice: tell Santa to get a replacement plan. My mouse randomly died after less than a year of using it (I was doing a Tol Barad in Beta and it just stopped working; it wouldn't even light up). My brother didn't get a warranty, but he does work at Best Buy so he managed to a discount for another one.

I don't know if this happens often or not, since when I was looking online for what might have happened I didn't see anyone else with a similar problem, but it did happen to me, so I'm just warning you.
Reply Quote
66 Undead Priest
12/07/2010 2:05 PMPosted by Sekas
I do not turn with my keyboard;
He who turns with his keyboard has forgotten the face of his father.
I turn with my mouse.
I do not cast from my action bar;
He who casts from his action bar has forgotten the face of his father.
I cast with my hotkeys.
I do not heal with my spells;
He who heals with his spells has forgotten the face of his father.
I heal with my heart.

I love the poem :)

As for how to keep your hand on numberkeys, WASD, spacebar and the mouse at the same time, you do have to switch between them at times, but if you set up your important stuff on the close numbers (depends on your hand size how far you can reach comfortably) and use the keys around WASD as needed and/or ALT/CTRL/SHIFT + numbers keys , you'll do fine. And yes, playing piano and typing proficiently helps with the whole moving back and forth quickly thing.
Edited by Quinala on 12/8/2010 7:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2010 6:26 AMPosted by Flintte
Dying as a Holy Priest gives you 10 or so seconds to continue healing, but that doesn't mean you should let yourself die before the dps.

Well, it's actually 21 secs with the glyph. Which is probably around 15% - 20% of the entire fight duration in a 5-man.

The healer is ALWAYS the top priority; if the healer dies, everyone else dies.

Except, you know, when the healer can heal while dead and has a static healing device that can restores hundreds of thousands of life.

It's actually very efficient to use Renew in the Heal Chakra.

1. You need to switch your armor to Inner Will to reasonably cast Renew in Heal Chakra since you use Inner Fire for basically everything else you do. That's two extra GCDs you can't really spare.

2. Even if you switch your armor and have the haste to get a fifth tick, Renew still has abysmal efficiency while in Heal Chakra. You lose massive amounts of critical (both the Chakra and the Serenity proc) and you never get the Mastery on anything other than the very small initial hit of Divine Touch.

So, no, it isn't remotely efficient to cast Renew while in Heal Chakra. The reason you cast it on the tank is that it auto-refreshes.

Put 5 Renews and and switch between targets, casting Heal. If you're doing it right, Renew should never expire on the targets and it does quite a lot of healing. It's not always best to do it on all 5 people, but it's very manageable on 3 targets, at least.

Why would you ever cast Renew on 3 targets? It's horribly inefficient compared to multi-target healing spells.

This one depends on the debuff. If it hits hard or ticks fast, just dispel it. A PoM could probably take care of it, but if something comes up, you don't want that ticking on your tank if he starts taking a lot more damage, such as a boss enrage or something.

You leave the debuff on the dps, not the tank. The tank is already taking plenty of damage to bounce the PoM.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/06/2010 9:14 PMPosted by Remingtonn
I've been playing WOW for about 1 1/2 years now, and I find that I really gravitate towards playing pallys and priests. I know all healers have had their share of brain farts while in an instance or raid, but it seems like there are plenty of healers out there who run perfect instance after instance( at least that's what I'm told by the tank whom I just let die for the third or fourth time). :) This seems to have gotten worse since dungeon finder came into being... at least your guildies will use somewhat temperate language when telling you how utterly useless you are... strangers from different servers usually don't observe this nicety.

So after scouring the forums, and not finding what I was looking for, I am just gonna ask... how does one get good at healing? I used to use healbot, but for some reason I can't get it to load anymore... I currently use healium... I am currently playing a lvl 34 human holy priest, and am trying to gear for max mana and mana regeneration. I concentrate on trying to keep the tank alive, but should i do this to the point of letting other party members croak? And in the interest of preserving mana, when should I start healing... 90%? 80%? Lower?

I also seem to draw a lot of aggro and wind up dying a lot as well... sometimes it seems that I can die going into the Auction House...

HELP!!!!!!!

@ Low levels wipes are almost always caused by 2 things: inexperience and impatience.
Healing is relatively easy but people always seem to want to rush things before fully understanding dynamics.

Tanks have defensive CD's for a reason and if you notice they aren't using them, you need to remind them. Also, make sure your tanks is wearing appropriate gear for tanking. If a pally is in cloth, its going to be a terrible run. You should almost never draw aggro if you have a competent tank, but if you do you must be on the spot with Fade.

As far as gearing goes, shoot for Intel>Spirit>Crit~Haste. At low levels its hard to keep mana regen up so tell your group if they're going to fast for you to drink.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Shaman
The only answer I have for you is time and practice. I started playing a Healer again in late BC/early LK. The reason I say again, I'll explain in a few sentences.

I rolled a Rogue in vanilla and played a DPS for BWL through early Naxx Vanilla and through most of TBC. Before this I played Everquest. I played Everquest since before Ruin of Kuinark, and I played a Druid healer for the entirety of my time in EQ (Through Plane of Time, for those of you who know what that references). I picked up healing again after killing Illidan in BC. I think one of the only reasons Im so good at it is because Ive been doing it off and on for over 15 years.

Just play a lot, and practice. You'll see results.

-Z
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 2:35 PMPosted by Yeko
The only answer I have for you is time and practice. I started playing a Healer again in late BC/early LK. The reason I say again, I'll explain in a few sentences.

I rolled a Rogue in vanilla and played a DPS for BWL through early Naxx Vanilla and through most of TBC. Before this I played Everquest. I played Everquest since before Ruin of Kuinark, and I played a Druid healer for the entirety of my time in EQ (Through Plane of Time, for those of you who know what that references). I picked up healing again after killing Illidan in BC. I think one of the only reasons Im so good at it is because Ive been doing it off and on for over 15 years.

Just play a lot, and practice. You'll see results.

-Z

That's a good point. Before WoW, I played City of Heroes, and before that, Guild Wars. And in both games, I played toons that healed (a Defender and a Monk/Mesmer, respectively). In pretty much every game that has that option, I roll a healer (who is typically a female character, causing my brother to mock me >.>). So always playing a healing class even in other games also makes healing more intuitive in WoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]